Sign in to follow this  
simke

Best roads for driving

The other night I was watching one of Top Gear episodes where they went to Europe to try and find the ultimate driver's road.

So the question is, what are your favourite roads? Somewhere where you can test your car in terms of acceleration (straights), braking, handling (nice selection of corners), and also has a nice scenery and not much traffic - not fun if you get stuck behind people that drive 70 in 100k zone.

Today I went for a cruise to Helensville, then from there to Wellsford - good stretch of road, lots of corners and also some straights as well, and there was almost no traffic - had a clear road in front of me for most of the time. So it was fun :) Driving back from Wellsford to Akl wasn't as good tho.

Edited by Simke

How long was the round trip? I might try it some time.

How long was the round trip? I might try it some time.

I left at around 12, and was back by 2:30... not too long, which makes it a good candidate for a nice sunday drive :)

The Tuki Tuki road for sure. Short and fast and 5 minutes from home

some of the road south out of nelson are some of the best i've seen in the country! good / safe over taking areas with some awesome twisties through the mountains. Its more a summer thing though as to avoid black ice.

^^^ have driven them roads a few times. Quite typical of most roads around the coast.

But my favorite would easily any part of the road from Queenstown to Greymouth, well not so much the 1st hour at the Greymouth end. My favorite bit would be the bit before and after haast. Amazing scenery to boot.

The whole drive is one of lonely planets top ten drives in the world.

Traffic is average tho. Campervans!

Also the drive from Greymouth to Punkaiki, only bout an hour round trip.

Hunua to Ardmore via Ardmore quarry road on route to Twilight Road in Clevedon. .

Greymouth to Punkaiki is an awesome drive! Also Between Springs junction and nelson/kaiteri are awesome to

Hunua to Ardmore via Ardmore quarry road on route to Twilight Road in Clevedon. .

read my mind.

+2

Today I went for a cruise to Helensville, then from there to Wellsford - good stretch of road, lots of corners and also some straights as well, and there was almost no traffic - had a clear road in front of me for most of the time. So it was fun :) Driving back from Wellsford to Akl wasn't as good tho.

It's a good road. For even more fun turn off onto Old North Road at Riverhead instead of going through Kumeu to Helensville, and drive up to Peak Road and rejoin SH 16 at Kaukapakapa. Road through the forest is fun.

Just watch that route on summer weekends especially long weekends as its full of cops catching all the car and bike clubs that use it for a bit of a blast.

Plenty more up north too. There is an old thread on this topic somehwhere here.

+5

also have to agree about the roads in the sth island,perfect.even if it was done in my hiace.

has anyone done SH36 rotorua to tauranga? its all sealed now.had an awesome drive through there.

SH 3 hamilton to new plymouth,some roadworks though

Next time you go that way turn right at Walkworth on the way back down SH1 onto Woodcocks rd and head back towards SH16.

Its a great peice of road and usually nice and quite.

+5

also have to agree about the roads in the sth island,perfect.even if it was done in my hiace.

has anyone done SH36 rotorua to tauranga? its all sealed now.had an awesome drive through there.

SH 3 hamilton to new plymouth,some roadworks though

is that the "pyes Pa road?.Done it.

One of my favourite stretches of SH1 apart from the desert road is the stretch between taupo and Ohaaki Power station,cant go too fast though cos you never know who might be waiting over the other side of some blind humps or long bends.

Any other stretch of road with good rythym is fine by me....fast or slow uphill or down...

ie vinegar hill paekeak hill rimutaka,wanganui to national park,surf highway.I like any road thats not straight.

Napier to Gisbourne is a good one, I also enjoy the road between Waihi and Whangamata and up to Whitianga etc..

Mangamuka Gorge.

Far North.

For sure. Did that road in a Golf R32. Heaven.

I also enjoy the road between Waihi and Whangamata and up to Whitianga etc..

I do that road quite a it as we got a bach at Whanga- its always got way to many cars!!!

Oh yeah and Mangamuka Gorge is awesome. I got to drive a 635CSi through there just after I got my restricted haha. FUN!

I'd have to say from Hokitika south to Haast is an awesome ride, "ride" cause ive only done it on my SV1000, which means dealing with campers and buses is a breeze, also from Haast across to Wanaka, awesome.

I hate napier to gisbourne, if you get stuck behind a car you're there for hours..

Tuki tuki on the other hand... Didn't know how many HB guys there was though! I'll have to take my car out when I get up and fix it.

I'd have to say from Hokitika south to Haast is an awesome ride, "ride" cause ive only done it on my SV1000, which means dealing with campers and buses is a breeze, also from Haast across to Wanaka, awesome.

I've done both those on my Ducati. Actually I've done every road everyone has mentioned on the Ducati.

We used to do a South Island trip every year to coincide with the Hokita Wild Food Featival. I really loved the SI rides...great roads for motorbikes. The other that I like is the East Coast down through Opotiki going down to Napier and then back to Auckland via Taupo. :D

I've sold the Ducati now :(

I've done both those on my Ducati. Actually I've done every road everyone has mentioned on the Ducati.

We used to do a South Island trip every year to coincide with the Hokita Wild Food Featival. I really loved the SI rides...great roads for motorbikes. The other that I like is the East Coast down through Opotiki going down to Napier and then back to Auckland via Taupo. :D

I've sold the Ducati now :(

i used to ride M otorbikes too....did a annual trip down south in the new year for a while ,following the annual points series which started at Wanganui on boxing day...seriusly considering another bike.dual purpose,save some petrol and re introduce some serious (and easy) accelleration.The 5 might even go to pay for it.

The Mangamuka gorge is great and similarly is the road that leaves opua and heads south to Dargaville. Both are good twistiy roads through the forest.

I also agree that the Waihi to Whangamata road is a good drive, a couple of terrible corners but mostly pretty good.

A good road for outright speed, big straights and long sweeping corners is the one from Taupo to Rotorua, I think I averaged about 150 km/hr last time I drove it and thats not exaggerating.

I can't wait to drive some south island roads!