* Customs St East-Gore St

* Ponsonby Rd-Hopetoun St

* Union St-Nelson St

* Queen St-Karangahape Rd

* Wellesley St West-Mayoral Dr

* Albert St-Victoria St West

* Wellesley St East-Mayoral Dr

* Hobson St-Cook St

Ive never really had an issue in town, I thought people were generally good. But for the likes of Botany Rd/Ti Rakau Dr is another story. They have had a camera there for a while but people still run the reds.

Red light runners are apalling in Auckland (in saying that I got a ticket a couple of years ago for running one).

The funny thing is, now I stop for an Orange light, and often get angry toots from the drivers behind.

Cheers

Grant

Red lights runners are everywhere and after spending 2 weeks in Wellington Ive decided chch drivers are the worst. Ill go through an orange light which I probabley should have stopped for but then 2-3 cars follow you through.

Funny thing is that you will probabley have to stop at the next light and then the people who stopped at the last one catch up to you so is it really worth it??

Ive decided chch drivers are the worst. Ill go through an orange light which I probably should have stopped for but then 2-3 cars follow you through.

I haven't traveled recently but people in chch are terrible every day and every intersection it happens

I was involved in couple of crashes where idiots ran thru red light - once when I was driving and twice when my mates were driving. One time we were in mazda 121 and were very lucky, the idiot that went thru red could have killed us.

Good one for putting a camera on Ponsonby Rd, this is in my opinion the worst road in the city, most people drive like they had their brain removed. They should have put one camera on every intersection on Ponsonby Rd.

Not such a new weapon. The Cook St/Hobson St one has been in operation for a while now... and wasn't in the white box, was in one of the office buildings. And it's not just red lights, it's orange also.

Camera sites.

* Symonds St-Karangahape Rd

* Victoria St West-Nelson St

* Customs St East-Gore St

* Ponsonby Rd-Hopetoun St

* Union St-Nelson St

* Queen St-Karangahape Rd

* Wellesley St West-Mayoral Dr

* Albert St-Victoria St West

* Wellesley St East-Mayoral Dr

* Hobson St-Cook St

Cool they are all in places i try hard to avoid.

Anyway i will never follow a car through an orange light unless it just turns as the car in front passes it.

One thing that i really HATE is when people try to jam thru an intesection even though there is no room for them on the other side and the light ends up turning red whilst they sit in the middle of the intersection looking like a complete munice.

My lill rant.

St lukes road and great north intersection is good for this.

Ive never really had an issue in town, I thought people were generally good. But for the likes of Botany Rd/Ti Rakau Dr is another story. They have had a camera there for a while but people still run the reds.

Did you see the huge 4 car crash there last Wed? They had to close off Botany Road. Some A hole ran the red. Mate was nearly killed on Ti Irangi at the Botany South intersection when someone ran a red and T-Boned him at 90 odd kph.

Would love to see the stats for the red light cameras. How many people get caught a day etc.

Personally I think its about time .. as im sick of driving through akl city looking both ways in fear of being t-boned everytime I drive through an intersection.

Red light cameras just got turned on today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?...jectid=10509953

Thank f**king god!

Did you see the huge 4 car crash there last Wed? They had to close off Botany Road. Some A hole ran the red. Mate was nearly killed on Ti Irangi at the Botany South intersection when someone ran a red and T-Boned him at 90 odd kph.

Wasn't that a stolen vehicle in pursuit?? I am sure it was in the Herald.

Bout time.

Now if they could just get rid of those goddamm red arrows.

Bout time.

Now if they could just get rid of those goddamm red arrows.

and the noobs that think its their right to drive in the outside lane at 70.

and the noobs that think its their right to drive in the outside lane at 70.

initiate the gumball lane bro ..

I reckon that this intersection is the worst. On my way home from work a couple of weeks ago i counted 5 cars through the red.

And have seen countless accidents there where cars have been t-boned by what presumably was a red light runner.

I'd agree that Christchurch has the WORST red light runners in the country after spending 5 days down there, it's just so prolific.

Personally, being a edestrian in the wellington CBD it's those dam f**king cyclists that piss me off the most as they run the red lights and pedestrian crossing without a regard to ppl crossing them. The worst of these are the actual racing types, twice i've almost taken one out because I refused to allow them to pass - I pull my briefcase out ready to swing it and hope that they don't stop so I can wipe one out, I wan't to see blood god dam it, and JC would agree

Edited by Mr. Pink

One of my mates got snapped this morning, after seeing the campbell live segment...

Hes well known for doing all sorts of retarded things though, so its not a huge suprise

I've been in one crash, seen 3 others, and countless near misses from A*@holes running reds around Auckland. The crash cost $8,000 to repair and the biarch had no insurance (thats another problem they need o fix).

I'm not a huge fan of the big-brother-watching-you-mentality, but they need these cameras pretty much on every intersection on Ti Rakau drive - in my experience the worst piece of road for running reds in Auckland.

Cheers

I

I like the idea and concept, but isnt this just another way for Auckland City Council and ARC to make money?? another revenue maker for the local councils?

I would like to see the crash data on how many fatal/serious accidents took place around red light runnings in justification to get this project off the ground (outside of DIC drivers and stolen vehicles).

I would prefer the money to be spent on implementing a congestion zone therefore reducing the number of vehicles in the city rather than increase the ways of catching people who are rushing to get through lights because its so busy!

Just my two cents on this... :rolleyes:

Edited by Heresharry

Congestion zones ala London or Singapore would be great.

IF

-Our public transport worked like either of aforementioned countries

-We have the money to do it

-Our road system is the same

-You can try get the public to approve of it

So I don't see a congestion system in the near future. There has been reports done on it in '99, '01, '03, '05 to find alternatives such as this. But it isn't feasible at this point in time.

Check out the Business Roundtable reports and the LTNZ ones.

My 2c

As for the traffic lights, if they can catch people doing something dangerous and make money off it then I say go for it. As long as the money goes back into the system to improve public transport or something.

Well.... for all those Aucklanders get used to idea of a Congestion zone because it is going to happen and within 5 years!! There will be an upgrade of the bus routes and links and hopefully (if the right funding is granted) a rail link out west to the Waitakeres.

There is a project running for a mirror image of the oyster card (london transport pre pay card) that will be implemented on the busways very soon and this will roll out across NZ.

The money from that revenue from infringments isnt spent on traffic/transport releated improvements either btw

Just adding another 2cents to make it 4!! LOL <_<

"As for the traffic lights, if they can catch people doing something dangerous and make money off it then I say go for it. As long as the money goes back into the system to improve public transport or something."

Not bloody likely mate, those scabs at the ACC & ARC will fill their pockets, they can't help themselves when they see nice little earners like this held in front of their noses

Dont run the red light-dont pay the fine.

Quite simple really.