Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

New exhaust laws

Ok. But it would eliminate most of the annoyingly load cars out there wouldn’t it.. You know, the guy with a Toyota Levin 1.5 with a RPS fart cannon.

What's worse is that people actually think they sound cool!

True, my neighbour has that exact car and he thinks it’s vital to warm it up every morning for 5 minutes before departing for work, I actually think he believes it to be a Supra RZ.

True, my neighbour has that exact car and he thinks it’s vital to warm it up every morning for 5 minutes before departing for work, I actually think he believes it to be a Supra RZ.

Haha, you poor man, do you ever get to sleep in?

Some ballbag cop tryed to fine me $150 for my exhaust "not sounding like a beemer should" (his exact words).

Standard exhaust and everything.

Shove a rather large potato up there one night.

Can be rather humorous.

Perhaps there should be more accountability for people that do WOF? I personally know this guy who passes almost every car taken to him which isn't too encouraging having some old wreck with a hundred diagnosed problems on the road, similarly getting rejected for stupid minor stuff is just an annoyance!

Totally agree here! I also have Toyota Hiace van. It is 89old and looks shabby. Every time I go through a warrent, it takes them at least 1/2hr. They pull everything apart, inspect every nook and cranny. Last time it failed because there was a rip in the seat and the foam had worn (getting in and out of van) and the metal under the seat was exposed. I cannot believe there is a "regulation" covering that - I may be wrong - but it is not a big hole nor is it a hazard of any kind I am aware of.

Seems to me just a way of "we got to find something wrong with this old van!" type attitude. Opinions or fact? I believe you can read the entire inspection regulations somewhere online, but not found them yet.

Seems to me its just a whole lot less hassle to get WOFs from your local garage.At least they're mechanics who are good enough to be actually working in their trade!!

hey,

so say my dad was to put a new exhaust on his near coming 540i touring, he would fail wof.

How would they know its not what it was when brought new?

Matt

hey,

so say my dad was to put a new exhaust on his near coming 540i touring, he would fail wof.

How would they know its not what it was when brought new?

Matt

I dont think it would fail unless it was REALLY LOUD....see my post at the top of the page...

I believe you can read the entire inspection regulations somewhere online, but not found them yet.

They're here

Whilst we're on the subject of WoF's, LTSA is getting harder on WoF issuers:

The WoF mystery shopper

DVCU has recently completed a trial of the new mystery shopper operation. WoF inspectors were visited incognito and asked to inspect a vehicle that had been carefully prepared with several faults.

This type of audit will give information about the actual practice of vehicle inspectors that cannot be obtained from scheduled reviews.

Edited by bravo

They're here

Whilst we're on the subject of WoF's, LTSA is getting harder on WoF issuers:

Thanks, that was interesting reading. Have bookmarked the page. I also not there does not seem to be any requirement for your spedo to read reasonably accurately - if I read that correctly - it just states that it must function (specifically) in forward motion.

Maybe it is the old geezer in me but I am a little tired of the 4" downpipes on evo's and WRX's passing the house at 2am. As long as they aren't too pedantic and allow some scope for sensible aftermarket exhausts I support the change.

Show me a "sensible" bureaucrat in this current government, and they will show an exhaust that looks like a Huntly Power Station chimney! :lol: