Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

New exhaust laws

Yeah I have no problem with the law, just expected WOF people to just refer on to objective test anything that wasn't stock. Last thing I wanted was to have spent a grand doing the exhaust properly (not loud on purpose), and then spend $200 on a test to tell me what I already knew - that its louder than stock, but within the legal levels.

Police will be taking 25 demerit points from drivers of wankishly load cars soon so maybe a cert would be a good idea if you’re worried.

Police will be taking 25 demerit points from drivers of wankishly loudcars soon

I'll be fine then.

If it’s not wankishly load quit your moaning ahahha.. we can judge it on Cart day B)

Its a Six anyways! Is it Manual?? Because load and Auto is 100% wronge!

Edited by Apex

Is it manual? Wash your mouth out. Of course its bloody manual! :D

BTW your mis-spelling of loud is really bugging me for some reason.

Its fine Graham - I guess i was just expecting them to all be Nazis as usual and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't the case.

Edited by bravo

If it’s a quality known brand like Miltec of Remus it would have had to pass the strict European laws as mentioned above and would no doubt be fine.

Im all for the law as I for one can’t stand load cars that are load for the sake of being load, I would however like to see a certain amount of discretion applied from both the WOF inspector and the Police (new legislations just passed) as to what is annoying and what is to load.

I see they are also measuring wank blow off valves and external waist gates/screamer down pipes also.

What is the benefit of having load cars anyway?? Do people think other‘s will admire them?

Sorry Graham, can't hold my tongue any more... it's spelt "LOUD" ... with a U. ;)

*takes off spelling nazi hat*

Aaahh... that's better.

EDIT: I see Bravo beat me to it. See you at the spelling bee sometime yeah?

Edited by gannetboy

If it’s a quality known brand like Miltec of Remus it would have had to pass the strict European laws as mentioned above and would no doubt be fine.

Don't be surprised if they don't meet the legal specs - it is quite common for aftermarket exhausts to include a manufacturers get out of jail marking like "Not legal for street use".... You would need to confirm that the specific model in question does meet the requirements before fitting it.

The Arrow pipe I had on my Ninja had that on it even though it was one of the less obnoxious ones available.

as a wof inspector, i just got the new updates for the virm requirements for this particular topic! the law is now anything louder than standard is a fail, however i think the law is a bit stupid as my cars exhaust isnt standard and I aint changing it, i think it will really be up to the inspector whether or not you get a knob.. just to clear the rules up, I have the latest leaflet from ltnz if anyone needs more info.

I don't think they should be punishing the people with the good quality aftermarket sports exhausts just because they're a bit louder than factory..

It's the people like the WANKERS i get down my street who should be punished... the ones that sound like they've just taken the muffler right off to try and make their pea shooters sound good.

And what do they mean by "Well under legal limit"? Does that mean that a car with an aftermarket exhaust will fail if it measures at 82dB?

if it measures at 82dB?

It's easy for the inspector to measure.

Imagine exhaust sound is p1

Engine sound p2

Blow-off valve p3

Diff whine p4

Stereo p5

Girlfriend p6

etc

All the inspector has to do is use the formula:

Posted Image

and there you have it.

Of course, make sure he is A-weighting the SPL, to match the characteristics of the human ear.

Engine sound p2

Blow-off valve p3

Diff whine p4

Stereo p5

Girlfriend p6

etc

Posted Image

and there you have it.

Of course, make sure he is A-weighting the SPL, to match the characteristics of the human ear.

Lol...yeah right...Half the inspectors cant even spell their names right, let alone do something like that

Most of the inspection sheets I see, I cant even read their writting.

And the number of times I see "remedy play in L/H or R/H suspension" can the inspectors not diferentiate between a tie rod end, ball joint, wheel bearing, rack end, or strut bush ???

And as for exhausts...what are they going to use to measure and who will set a standard to compare with the manufacturers original equiptment. Are they going to have a list with all the standard Db readings for every make and model ?? I dont think so

It will probably be the inspectors "descretion" yeah right. If he doesnt like your car or your hair colour , you'll get pinged

BTW: my LVI # A6013

"remedy play in L/H or R/H suspension"

Guy at vtnz 'pinged' my Dad's car on this, no specifics or anything, exactly as you have it there. We jacked it up, had a look, nothing wrong that we could see. Took it back, another guy checked it out and sweet as, no problem...god knows what the guy was thinking.

Engine sound p2

Blow-off valve p3

Diff whine p4

Stereo p5

Girlfriend p6

etc

Posted Image

and there you have it.

Oh true. Seems quite simple when you put it that way lol..

BTW your mis-spelling of loud is really bugging me for some reason.

Sorry Graham, can't hold my tongue any more... it's spelt "LOUD" ... with a U. ;)

*takes off spelling nazi hat*

Aaahh... that's better.

EDIT: I see Bravo beat me to it. See you at the spelling bee sometime yeah?

Message received load and clear. :blink:

Perhaps there should be more accountability for people that do WOF? I personally know this guy who passes almost every car taken to him which isn't too encouraging having some old wreck with a hundred diagnosed problems on the road, similarly getting rejected for stupid minor stuff is just an annoyance!

when you get a few cars pulled up with noisy exhausts on with you warrant on and get 3 months suspension, then you'd know why a little bit of caution is taken by wof inspectors.

FWIW my 535 has a different rear muffler and or resonator delete..I am not sure but is much louder than stock,so much so that it annoys me some times but...I got a WOF at a vehicle testing station and no mention was made of it.There was a HSV there too with a big bore,his was maybe just a wee bit louder than mine at idle..(just for a point of reference)

Edited by bravo

im not entirely sure what your getting at but this is how i see exhaust laws etc and im 17 so dont expect it to be well thought through lol

alot depends where/who you goto alot of the time, and what car you have and how you come across,

if your 16 yo with a lowered 90's 1.5 honda civic with a HUGE fart can on the back theyll say something, because your gonna be revving tits off the car everywhere - alot of people use Stereotypes - MOST of the time but not always

this sort of thing is Always upto personal experience or views, and is usually interesting to see what other comment and think...

i remember a thread about this...FWIW my 535 has a different rear muffler and or resonator delete..I am not sure but is much louder than stock,so much so that it annoys me some times but...I got a WOF at a vehicle testing station and no mention was made of it.There was a HSV there too with a big bore,his was maybe just a wee bit louder than mine at idle..(just for a point of reference)

V8’s should be allowed to be a tad louder as they sound mean!

Mazda Rotary powered vehicles are what get to me, not all of them but some of the older ones that “pulse†in that Brap Brap Brap Brap annoying way should be made to run 5 mufflers.

They should turn the break strength tester as the testing station into a dynameter and make sure all cars that are even remotely loud put out over 100KW ATW for a WOF pass.

V8’s should be allowed to be a tad louder as they sound mean!

Mazda Rotary powered vehicles are what get to me, not all of them but some of the older ones that “pulse†in that Brap Brap Brap Brap annoying way should be made to run 5 mufflers.

They should turn the break strength tester as the testing station into a dynameter and make sure all cars that are even remotely loud put out over 100KW ATW for a WOF pass.

hahah i used to have an excel sheet to compare cars power to weight, max torque,max torqur revs,torque/weight a etc etc...it had a serious weighting for cars with more than 200 kw....ioe fun factor

Edited by kiwi535

EDIT:Topic merged with original and cleaned up.

Cheers.

Edited by bravo

Ok. But it would eliminate most of the annoyingly load cars out there wouldn’t it.. You know, the guy with a Toyota Levin 1.5 with a RPS fart cannon.