Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

New exhaust laws

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/vehicle-o...sy-vehicle.html

Have a good read

Let me no what you think because I think were going to have some seriously pissed off people when they take there 500k Lambo in for a warrant and it fails because its to loud

Discuss

"A vehicle will comply with the new law if the noise from the exhaust system is similar to or less than the noise from the exhaust system that was originally fitted when the vehicle was manufactured.

The exhaust system may be noisier than the original one provided that:

the noise output either remains well below the legal noise limits, or

an Objective Noise Test proves that the exhaust system does not exceed the legal noise limits. "

"If your vehicle is noisier than it was originally, it will fail its WoF unless it is able to pass a Noise Quick Check. If the WoF inspector has a hand-held noise meter he/she will use the Noise Quick Check to find out if the vehicle is well below the noise limits.

If your vehicle has failed its WoF because of a noisy exhaust, it may be referred to undergo an Objective Noise Test."

What do I need to do to pass the WoF?

Replace, remodify or repair the exhaust system so that the noise output is less than or similar to the noise output of the exhaust system that was originally fitted by the vehicle manufacturer,

or

Undergo an Objective Noise Test if you wish to have an exhaust system that is noisier than the original exhaust. However, you may still need to replace, remodify or repair the exhaust system to bring it below the legal noise limits. An Objective Noise Test is not required if the vehicle can pass the Noise Quick Check.

Should my vehicle get an Objective Noise Test even though it has passed the Noise Quick Check?

If your vehicle’s exhaust is louder than its original exhaust system and close to the permitted noise limit, then it is recommended that you have an Objective Noise Test carried out. By presenting the label and certificate to the WoF inspector you may avoid the inconvenience and cost of failing a WoF or having to go through a Noise Quick Check at every WoF inspection.

How about some plan simple old fashion English we all could understand you need to be a philly lawer to understand all that. Not getting at you Riley and thanks for the info Riley anyway.

Cheers Allan

Maybe it is the old geezer in me but I am a little tired of the 4" downpipes on evo's and WRX's passing the house at 2am. As long as they aren't too pedantic and allow some scope for sensible aftermarket exhausts I support the change.

Haha no offence taken Allan I no what your saying,However this is direct off the LTSA website and its what the WOF guys will be using as there point of reference so we all need to understand it

Good this will quiet down some of the faggots racing round kent / cambridge tce at 2am and I shall sleep better

i hope this also applies to trucks and motorbikes. f@#$%ing open pipe harleys going up our hill!

The language is english and it is technically correct and logically written

And the tests are pretty simple and the standard is NOT hard and if you read the whole bulletin it says cars, light trucks and motorbikes and trikes and sets the various limits.

90dBA is not quiet and about time - I hope they enforce it and no it wont catch new lambos unless they have been hacked about.

Pretty sure Ford GTs are 95-100 DB, what happens then?????

Pretty sure Ford GTs are 95-100 DB, what happens then?????

"A vehicle will comply with the new law if the noise from the exhaust system is similar to or less than the noise from the exhaust system that was originally fitted when the vehicle was manufactured."

In other words, the new law doesn't affect standard exhausts.

Ok, so now those of us who already spent $1k on a decent remus etc exhaust have to shell out another $200 for an inspection just because the VTNZ guys are a bunch of hitlers. nice.

Always been against these laws. There is 50X more loud trucks and buses on the roads than there is loud cars. Yet they dont need to do anything about it.

I will ignor these rules as I always have. Might sound imature. But I find these rules half assed, they have changed them 3 or 4 times now as they just do not work.

All you people that love modding cars would be scr**ed if you lived where I live

Here, cars must stay in the original manufacturered state.

You can only replace like for like.

No changes to lighting (front or rear), wheel sizes, exhaust systems, or engine mods allowed.

That includes cold air intakes - you fail the car check every time

If you want to modify the car, then you need an external independent engineer to check and certify the changes, and the vehicle will still need to be inspected by the vehicle inspection office. And they are VERY strict.

Other points:

No fluid leaks of any sort allowed.

Thrid party insurance is compulsory

Annual exhaust emissions check (on a measuring machine, not a 'visual' like NZ)

Speeding is rewarded with heavy fines linked to level of income

If you import a vehicle from another country it must go through the thorough homologation check at your cost. eg the vast majority of Jap imports would fail.

Until you go and live in another country, you don't appreciate how lax and liberal the New Zealand motor vehicle regulations are.

Where do you live Jochen?

Does sound pretty strict but it would be no doubt a lot safer on those roads- at least I would definitely feel safer

Where do you live Jochen?

Does sound pretty strict but it would be no doubt a lot safer on those roads- at least I would definitely feel safer

Switzerland.

Beautiful country, no loud exhausts, no stinky diesels :-)

But 10x the traffic of NZ, so accidents can and do happen. Crazy drivers exist whereever you are.

Did you hear about the 9x supercars that got caught on the motorway doing 200kmph in a 120kmph zone?

They sat in jail for 3 weeks, were released on a 20,000 Fr bail, and they are talking about million-franc (close to million NZD) fines. Because its linked to income, and they were millionaires...

Cars and trucks are beautifully maintained here. I drive past diesel trucks and busses and cars on the motorway all the time, never any loud noise, never any blue smoke, never any diesel stink. I hate stinky diesels.

I drive a diesel now, but it drives and smells like a petrol car. Particle filter, modern drive-by-wire turbo common-rail diesel, beautiful engine.

Switzerland.

Beautiful country, no loud exhausts, no stinky diesels :-)

But 10x the traffic of NZ, so accidents can and do happen. Crazy drivers exist whereever you are.

Did you hear about the 9x supercars that got caught on the motorway doing 200kmph in a 120kmph zone?

They sat in jail for 3 weeks, were released on a 20,000 Fr bail, and they are talking about million-franc (close to million NZD) fines. Because its linked to income, and they were millionaires...

Cars and trucks are beautifully maintained here. I drive past diesel trucks and busses and cars on the motorway all the time, never any loud noise, never any blue smoke, never any diesel stink. I hate stinky diesels.

I drive a diesel now, but it drives and smells like a petrol car. Particle filter, modern drive-by-wire turbo common-rail diesel, beautiful engine.

Yeah Europe are a no bullshit operation when it comes to homologation rules and compliance. Basically it is illegal unless specifically allowed. The US on the other hand is the opposite - anything goes unless it is specifically legislated.

I don't even think the US has a WoF equivalent - the smog cert is normally just that to my understanding. They focus on emissions only and brakes, lights, rust etc don't really come into it at smog time.

Didn't know Switzerland had linked fines to income (although I had heard about Finland) - real good reason to slow down a bit.... :o

Because its linked to income, and they were millionaires...

Link to income? So, what happen when you are beneficiary?

Small Euro diesel are great, I drive around in a Polo diesel here in Auckland. $65 per tank for 600km easy (with frequent canning) With RUC factored in, it's still a fair bit cheaper than equivalent petrol.

times like these are when i get the perks of my workmates being able to issue warrants.

and please also note that it is up to the technitions discression on weather he thinks it requires the noise test

OK so I got a WOF yesterday. At a place I'd never been before because my regular mechanic recently divorced and sold his business. (Super gay as he was a legend).

Anyway, asked around and found a workshop close to my parents place (miles from my place - oh well). The owner did some time at BMW melbourne and is a Pom. No guru, but at least has worked on the cars before.

His only comments were that he had noticed the exhaust wasn't factory, but that in his opinion wasn't loud enough to warrant an objective test. Sweet. Anyone at the karting meet can have a listen if they want. Its significantly louder than factory.

Cheers.

Edited by bravo

If it’s a quality known brand like Miltec of Remus it would have had to pass the strict European laws as mentioned above and would no doubt be fine.

Im all for the law as I for one can’t stand load cars that are load for the sake of being load, I would however like to see a certain amount of discretion applied from both the WOF inspector and the Police (new legislations just passed) as to what is annoying and what is to load.

I see they are also measuring wank blow off valves and external waist gates/screamer down pipes also.

What is the benefit of having load cars anyway?? Do people think other‘s will admire them?

I personally can't stand ze average civic/pulsar/other random jap car with a big muffler to compensate for things the driver lacks. So me all for it.