Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Question on E30s

Hiya,

I'm still relatively new to BMWs! However, I can't help but notice how every second member on here seems to be driving an E30. I was just wondering what makes these cars so alluring!? From an appearance perspective, I think they're hideous (personal opinion, obviously!), so I was just wondering whether they are really reliable or good, performance wise!

Thanks for any insight :)

From an appearance perspective, I think they're hideous (personal opinion, obviously!)

your opinion is sh*t!

Na kidding, but seriously.

- They are the last of the bmws that can be fixed and sh*t by average Jeff with a socket set.

- They look mint. And can be made to look minter real easily.

- Handling is cool in a special way.

- Big engine bay so lots of swap possibilities.

- Cheap.

Big online following...e30tech, r3vlmited, e30zone, etc etc

I think E30s look great, pretty classic. BUT... here's another question for you guys:

Why do E30 Motorsports still go for so much secondhand?

Granted, I think the M-Tech II ones (eg: Gus' old car) look bloody good. But I don't understand why they fetch the $$ they do when we've got E36 Motorsports going for way less and E46s falling into the same range. E30 Motorsports seem to fetch a decent amount regardless of mileage. I'm guessing they are much more rare? And have different running gear compared to a non-motorsport, while the E36 and E46 only have cosmetic differences?

Edited by Yuen

Why do E30 Motorsports still go for so much secondhand?

+1

the e30 motorsports have LSD and suspension upgrades as well as the cosmetic differences.

I think the price simply reflects the fact that there are not many good ones left, and if you are going to have an e30 for your collection, then that's the one you want (assuming an m3 is out due to price).

I personally think e30's look sweet with the right mods. They have more character than any of the newer models. They handle well with minor suspension changes and go well too for the money you spend and the age of the vehicle. As others have said they are easy to fix DIY.

But the main reason they are so prevalent is that they are the most affordable. Look at the average BS member - your average e60 owner isn't here (yes I know we have at least 1). Most people on this forum are broke. Whether thats WHY they have an e30 or BECAUSE they have an e30 depends on the length of time they have owned one.

Whether thats WHY they have an e30 or BECAUSE they have an e30 depends on the length of time they have owned one.

Hahaha... quote material :lol: So if a broke person bought an E30 because they had no $, they would be digging themselves a deeper hole? Seriously though they seem to be fun little cars.

Hahaha... quote material :lol: So if a broke person bought an E30 because they had no $, they would be digging themselves a deeper hole?

Yes. Nothing more to add really.

They just feel right. They are the quintessential BMW and I would go as far as to say the quintessential Euro.

I love mine. It’s not fast and it doesn’t handle brilliantly yet it’s really nice to drive.

Whether thats WHY they have an e30 or BECAUSE they have an e30 depends on the length of time they have owned one.

Classic!!

I struggle understand the attraction to them really, although I have had 2 E30's (one was a pure run about and I didn't care about and the other was my absolute pride and joy). I think that generally they are boring looking square boxes (nicely kitted ones, and M3's aside).

However, I would own another one in an heartbeat, and will one day definately own one again. If I ddn't need a reasonable sized 4 door car, would definately have an M325i or 318is now.

I think, that looks aside (and again, this is only my opinion), they are great fun little cars and I rate them much higher than almost anything from a similar era.

Also - they are much cheaper to keep running than any newer BMW's, so I guess that is a chunk of the attraction too.

Cheers

Grant

I like old cars, but the attraction for me was all sorts of things below & mainly coming from old nasty jap fwd cars the e30 bimmer was like "WHOA"

Very Respectable looking car.

Rear wheel Drive

6 Cylinder engine ( for my E30 anyway )

Great Handling

Quiet Inside

Leather

Electrics

Very Comfterable

and the fact its a bmw pulls the chick :D

No really , it does

Edited by Jimmy

I can't help but notice how every second member on here seems to be driving an E30. I was just wondering what makes these cars so alluring!?

Because their badass!!!!

Edited by QuickSilver

I paid good money for a E30 becuase they are so much more fun than an E36. And its funny you say they look like square boxes Grant. I think the E36 is the most box like 3 series around. Dull and boring.

Parts are dirt cheap on the E30's

You can play with the setups aot more and alot cheaper to setup.

Soooo many interchangable parts.

Have that sweet retro look

So easy to make them look distigishable from other E30's in a tasteful manor.

Downfalls: Lots of 318's with cut or no springs bouncing along on the worlds heaviest and ugliest full faced chrome "wheels". This is only out done by the amount of E36's in the same style.

As you can tell. I am pretty anti E36 but love the E30's.

I like them because they are fun, easy to make them look mint. Lots of cheap parts around you can get to maintain it or ever add other parts to make them better.

They are really reliable, well mine is at least, nothing ever really goes wrong (touch wood), only minor things that are cheap to fix.

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix.

Basically well you get the idea.

Also you get that whole "i drive a BMW" thing going on.

they are the only car that carries the "f**ken tuff" tag

I love the E30 box shape, its box but still looks classic bmw esp with some nice alloys.The E36 are too rounded & common for me to own & not as fun to drive as the tail-happy E30 handling.

Not sure why someone would think they are actually hideous, loads of car out there that meet that criteria, i think most people would agree that E30 ain't one of them.

Edited by Eagle

They are a Potential Collectors Item [ especially at the rate they are rusting out ]

They are also enviromentally friendly [ Bio-degradable ]

Seriously all cars with a "racing pedigree" will be a enthusiasts car someday.

E30's with group A, E36's with BTTC etc

M3's, Schnitzers, & JPS BMWs will always be more desirable [ then motorsports , & most coupes ]

All cars go thru a 20year price slide then the perils of age make them scarce , and they slowly become collectible

E30's are at the bottom now and will appreciate slowly in about 3years time

All cars except the Austin Allegro

If you asked a car buff what was the most memorable / enjoyable 3 series BMW ever made its well know that most will say the e30 series is the one. The quintessential 3 series is the e30 without doubt

sh*t - this thread has caused some defence for the poor old E30:-

Agreed in that a bog standard car can look somewhat lame, but as said already - in a properly kitted disguise, subtlely lowered & with the right wheels - they can look staunch & have a ton of character.

The M cars do as standard

They drive well, realitively cheap & easy to fix & good ones are only going to get more collectable as time goes on -

dont reacon that can be said for the E36 - boring in comparison.

Reason for popularity on here is realitive to the numbers on the road - there were shitloads, oops, I meant boatloads of them came in from Japan a few years ago & now price has dwindled to the point where they have a cult following amonst young drivers (and not so young)

Can be described as a modern classic I reacon

when i first joined BS a few years ago pretty much everyone had an e30, much more e36's on the boards now, I'm assuming thats due to their price drop a couple of years ago.

But as everyone else has said, just fun, cheap cars that look sweet with a few mods and are easy to look after.