Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Info on MYSky HD and HD HDD Media Centers

Hey does anybody have any info on the MYSky HD unit about to come out?

Just want to know if it will be HDMI or just component? Will look at upgrading my Dad so he can take advantage of his Plasma. At the moment with the current MYSky which is only normal RCA it looks like he is watching youtube.

Also was looking at getting him a HD Media Center that can take a HDD.

So far the only ones I have come across that have half decent features are the MVix ones. They are quite pricey though. Anybody have one or used one before?

Would be looking at the MX-780HD

http://www.mvixusa.com/index.php

My brother has a "MediaGate" which is the same deal as the machine you've linked to.

Awesome piece of kit, I'm looking at getting one myself. Best part is the wireless networking so you can download movies/music and then send them wirelessly to the MediaGate's hard drive for watching later. The menu system is intuitive and simple to use with the included remote.

The advantage of these over a fully-fledged Media PC is that it takes up less space and you don't have to have a bloody great keyboard and mouse setup sitting on your coffee table!

As for the MySkyHDi.... well it must have an HDMI output, otherwise it can't be true HD.

I'm using windows media center, that I built out of old P4 machine - so all in all hardware had cost me less than $200 :)

You don't need keyboard / mouse, just get media center remote which is around $60. And you can connect up to 5 media center extender devices so you can stream content to 5 different places in your home. Which is what I have done with my XBox 360 - it acts as a media center extender.

I'm pretty sure you can have HD from component.

Remember that no broadcasts are 1080p, they will be 720p at best.

For cost effective upscaling get an Oppo DVD player.

Edit: your P4 won't handle HD.

Edited by Nick G

the mysky will let you watch one and record two channels.Send sky an email i find them quite helpful.I just got a new tele and asked if i could have some component cables to replace my old composite ones.They are gonna send me some.They even asked how long I needed!

Hmm I think I will get my Dad one of those media centers. He does not have a PC though. But will just bring it over to my house and I will load a weeks worth of crap on to it.

And I think I will give Sky a call and organise some component cables. Should give a better picture until he gets the HD version.

I'm getting normal SKY tomorrow, they said I can get HD SKY in August and only have to pay $50 to upgrade. Component can support 1080p but I hope it's HDMI because one cable is just so much cleaner...

i am in the industry . sky will only output HD 720p or 1080i etc on some chanels and only through HDMI so they can copy protect it .

you can get 720p and 1080i by component but it cant be copy protected .

same with the HD free view box HD only by hdmi (sucks )

if your dad upgrades his cable to a scart to component it will improve the picture quality by about 40% with out having to change to HD sky .

i run my std sky box with a scart to scart cable into my dvd/hdd recoder set to RGB which looks pretty good .

also check the widescreen settings in the tv and the decorder etc .

I am amazed every time i talk to people or go there house with all these flash flat panels sky dvd's etc and they still have them conected with the $2 cable they got when they brought it , and still have there sky and dvd player on 4:3 mode when they have a 16:9 tv . :wacko:

i am in the industry . sky will only output HD 720p or 1080i etc on some chanels and only through HDMI so they can copy protect it .

if your dad upgrades his cable to a scart to component it will improve the picture quality by about 40% with out having to change to HD sky .

i run my std sky box with a scart to scart cable into my dvd/hdd recoder set to RGB which looks pretty good .

I am amazed every time i talk to people or go there house with all these flash flat panels sky dvd's etc and they still have them conected with the $2 cable they got when they brought it , and still have there sky and dvd player on 4:3 mode when they have a 16:9 tv . :wacko:

^^ He speaks the truth, Couldnt of said it any better my self mate.(Im from the industry as well)

Also you mentioned your running your sky through your dvd/hdd recorder, this is a great idea especially if you have a 1080i or 1080p upscalling version, this will improve (upscale) the picture of your sky. ;)

By the way are you still at Retra Brent? Ive just finished up now im with Monaco corp

isnt the freeview HD 720p or 1080i too?Look forward to geting my new scart to component cables.Quality of picture varies hugely from one program to the next.Most of the ads seem to be very good tho :(

^^ He speaks the truth, Couldnt of said it any better my self mate.(Im from the industry as well)

Also you mentioned your running your sky through your dvd/hdd recorder, this is a great idea especially if you have a 1080i or 1080p upscalling version, this will improve (upscale) the picture of your sky. ;)

By the way are you still at Retra Brent? Ive just finished up now im with Monaco corp

yes still there , are you based in ch ch working for monaco ??

no my dvd/hdd doesn't upscale , but all the later ones that do , only have S-video at best as a input .

so i think i will keep the RGB as it looks better straight out to component .

isnt the freeview HD 720p or 1080i too?Look forward to geting my new scart to component cables.Quality of picture varies hugely from one program to the next.Most of the ads seem to be very good tho :(

yes freeview is 720p on tv1 and tv2 and 1080i on tv3 and others will go hd over time .

also there is a demo chanel at 720p .

we will at work soon have upsacling hd boxes soon up to 1080p and some with hdd built in or a usb port for a portable hdd .

cheers

Yip based in chch, look after from Timaru up so Ashburton,chch,west coast,nelson etc good times. Whos your rep?

]

Yip based in chch, look after from Timaru up so Ashburton,chch,west coast,nelson etc good times. Whos your rep?

new guy , looks like a rugby player

I had a play with a Mivx player during the weekend. Quite a good little unit. Small and tidy. Perfect for someone who has the ability to obtain downloaded content but has no PC they can use as their own media player.

Will be getting my Dad one for his Bday.