Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

Car painters

Can anyone give me a ballpark of what I should expect to pay to have a bootlid painted?? It will be off the car.

Anyone able to suggest a good car painter in the Botany area?

Well... I know a bonnet is about $250, a front bumper is about $150. So I'd say a bootlid is somewhere in between those two... prob $175 - 200.

My advice: Don't necessarily go to the cheapest place you find... you may get a crap job done. This has happened to me. Choose someone who is highly recommended, perhaps by your local BMW dealer.

EDIT: Shocking grammar

Edited by gannetboy

I would be interested to see who you end up going to elmarco.

I am looking to get my car repainted in the near future.

I paid $200 for a VERY good job for my bonnet, similar to less for boot lid,

I needed my boot lid painted and actually went to Ray and asked about a boot lid

and he had on the exact right color and in great nick which was heaps cheaper,

worth a shot?

Can anyone give me a ballpark of what I should expect to pay to have a bootlid painted?? It will be off the car.

If its for your E46.. I wouldnt go to anyone other than Dave @ Euro Collision Ph. (09) 5212283

They are situated at 124 Felton Mathew Avenue, St Johns

If its for your E46.. I wouldnt go to anyone other than Dave @ Euro Collision Ph. (09) 5212283

They are situated at 124 Felton Mathew Avenue, St Johns

Yup - it's for the E46. A previous owner has had an incident (most likely backing into a powerpole) and there is a big lump of bog that I can see in the bootlid (shocking repair job that is really bugging me). Managed to get another one off trademe the other night so rather than do paintwork + repair, I'll just do the paintwork on a good lid....

Thanks Glen - I'll give Dave a call.

Bob Norris of Howick Auto Painters comes highly reccomended

535 7320 hes done an e46 and a few e 30s for us and always perfect

I personally wouldn't go anywhere but Precision Autowerk. They have done an immaculate job before on my fathers E39.

They sound good on their website, but nowhere near Botany unfortunately....

Sorry to hijack, but how much would a full respray cost (on a e30)?

'bout $4k

I always use Evans European - the trick is to get someone to lightly crash into the worst area on your car...this will ensure correct blending of panels as 1/2 your car gets repainted for free. Works for me.

I always use Evans European - the trick is to get someone to lightly crash into the worst area on your car...this will ensure correct blending of panels as 1/2 your car gets repainted for free. Works for me.

Haha see insurance fraud thread!!! I must say Evans do a fantastic job, my mum’s E46 was reversed into a couple of years ago and they fixed it up so well you would could never tell.. They say the sign of a good job is no sign at all.

I can ask for you next week as im getting the 545i’s bonnet and bumpers re-sprayed. It really depends on how bad the car is and how much prep work you can do yourself.

How good a job do you want?? Factory finish?? What colour are you after?

I fully prepped my last car, IE removed all seals trims lights bla bla bla and it come in at under 2 grand.

Posted Image

How about House of Colour Chocolate Brown??

Posted Image

I can ask for you next week as im getting the 545i’s bonnet and bumpers re-sprayed. It really depends on how bad the car is and how much prep work you can do yourself.

How good a job do you want?? Factory finish?? What colour are you after?

I fully prepped my last car, IE removed all seals trims lights bla bla bla and it come in at under 2 grand.

Be good if you could Graham, I can do quite a bit of prep work myself i.e. Bog then maybe prime.

Was thinking Diamantschwarz metallic or satin black.

Would satin black would be cheaper?

I'm planning to go into Evans European tomorrow morning. Got one quote from Euro Collision which was a bit frightening. They do a really special job from what I saw in the workshop (BMW NZ / Rolls Royce send all their cars there apparently - so they do factory quality work), but I'm not sure my little issue is a 'north of $1000' problem for me.... I know there is a bit to do in blending the paint, but at that price I can probably live with it as is!!

Well the good news is that Evans European are a similar price to Euro Collision - so I don't think anyone is being an opportunist..... The bad news is that they are both north of $1000 and I will have to wait until some other big bills are sorted in the next couple of months. Bummer....

One way around this conundrum is another mint titanium silver bootlid that doesn't need painting. Anyone know of where I could find such a beast???

That house of colour brown looks awsome i reckon.

Over 1k for a bootlid to be painted...? :unsure:

The problem is that it isn't just the bootlid (grrrrr).... To get the colour correct they need to blend it into the panels next to the lid - which on the E46 coupe means the rear quarters which run right over the roof and finally break down at the bottom of the windscreen. So it ends up being damn close to half the car.

Initially I thought I would get away with just the lid, but to do it properly (and I am not gonna do a cheap nasty job - that was what a previous owner did and it bugs the hell out of me!) they need to blend across both guards. Bugger.

Still, if you put it in perspective - half a car painted for $1200 - $1500 by professionals isn't too bad. Just a little more work that I was expecting and can afford right now.

I think 1k is a bit steep for a respray on the hood or a boot lid.

A re-spray for an e46 BMW is about 2K.

A full paint change is about 3K but that does not include under the hood and inside the doors. Was looking at getting my car done in Ford Australias new Gunmetal. It has colored fleks in its metalic and quite a bit of pearl.

Myself, I have opted for getting a respray and that 2K includes the new body kit I got.

I think 1k is a bit steep for a respray on the hood or a boot lid.

A re-spray for an e46 BMW is about 2K.

A full paint change is about 3K but that does not include under the hood and inside the doors. Was looking at getting my car done in Ford Australias new Gunmetal. It has colored fleks in its metalic and quite a bit of pearl.

Myself, I have opted for getting a respray and that 2K includes the new body kit I got.

Where was that price from? Anyone in Auckland?... Sounds pretty cheap - I would have expected $3-4k for a full respray. Even when I had a mate do my old beetle back in the 90's it was $1200 cash with me doing all the prep work.

Where was that price from? Anyone in Auckland?... Sounds pretty cheap - I would have expected $3-4k for a full respray. Even when I had a mate do my old beetle back in the 90's it was $1200 cash with me doing all the prep work.

City Auto Painters in Palmy. They do a great job too.

I grew up in Auckland and have done up alot of cars up there over the years. I used a few painters up there, best was a fella in Glenfeild over the shore. Cant remember the name off the top of my head but that was early 90's late 80s. This is my first Euro project (Current car). When you paint a car the main concern is usually prep work. The cost of the actual paint itself only really varies a few hundred dollars in most cases. The quote I have had for this last few jobs was not including under the hood and the insides of the doors. These are not usually noticable areas but the hardest to prep and paint.

Car painters are like everything else. You shop around. Get a quote formal or not. make sure the goods are right for the right price.