Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

E30 320i Racecar

It lives!!! Doesnt drive yet (need clutch slave) but it runs! Rough as guts straight out the headers, lovely M20 tractor sound :lol:

Cheers to all the guys for the help, Anthony, Nathan and Oli you guys saved my day ae.

Got some pics of it coming out, so here we go :D

post-3253-1269682859.jpg

post-3253-1269682889.jpg

post-3253-1269682913.jpg

post-3253-1269682939.jpg

post-3253-1269682967.jpg

post-3253-1269682990.jpg

post-3253-1269683036.jpg

post-3253-1269683057.jpg

post-3253-1269683081.jpg

post-3253-1269683113.jpg

post-3253-1269683144.jpg

post-3253-1269683167.jpg

post-3253-1269683190.jpg

picture 8. that was some good weight training lifting the motor out. got there in the end though.

dont forget to double check all the bolts i did up :D

just incase

Nah the old ball and chain needed a lift home so I turned up after all the hard work had been done :P

People helping people. Nice :)

Brams taking photos?

And no Dragon??? :(

Haha nope, Brams showed up just in time to get it back in again....

Sis taking pics, and the dragons there.... can't you see it :ph34r:

(There are four ninjas in that picture too :lol: )

^ I do try my best. Passing on the pearls of wisdom from one to another.

And it's alive!!!

Cheers to Oli for his help tonight, we got the bonnet and exhaust all bolted up, found and fixed a cooling system blockage, flushed and changed the oil and took it around the block.

Unfortunately it sounds like it might be missing a bit, so next step is swap plugs and then maybe leads over from the old motor...

On the plus side it has reminded me of how awesome it is to drive, and isnt entirely unmanageable without a powersteering belt :ph34r:

Very very happy right now, and can't wait to get it a WoF and rock up to the intermarques on the 11th :D

Ok so its not firing on six. Checked for spark and its getting spark, but i put my old engines leads + plug on anyway.. so i don't really know where to go from here, injector maybe?

I tested it by removing the leads one at a time and removing the one on 6 it runs exactly the same as leaving it on... whereas on any other it runs rough and the idle drops...

Hope this new engine isnt a dud!!

Did you use a chain to lower the engine into the engine bay? If so, you may have lifted the top of the injector rail off no. 6 injector. If it has spark but isn't firing it must be missing fuel you'd think?

did #6 smell of fuel when you took the spark plug out? if not then i suspect either injector or the plug on the injector. just remove your injector rail and replace with your other one.

Did you use a chain to lower the engine into the engine bay? If so, you may have lifted the top of the injector rail off no. 6 injector. If it has spark but isn't firing it must be missing fuel you'd think?

We used an engine hoist, mounted to the front of the engine... could it have happened when the back of the engine was against the firewall while we got the gearbox in? I'd better go and have a poke around and see if i can figure out what im looking at...

Yeah i am hoping its just fuel, not compression that it's lacking!!!

Yeah, it is a common thing when doing this, could have been lifted slightly by something on the firewall.

Ok i had a fiddle with the injector, it seems to be sitting the same as the others, apart from the fact i can twist it, i cant twist any of the others.... and removing the plug on the injector makes absolutley no difference to the running, so its definitely number 6.

Not sure entirely where to go from here, not keen to mess around with injectors on my own with a WoF scheduled for 8am tomorrow lol, might have to sort it on the weekend ae..

give the fuel rail above 6 a good push down and see if it clips back on to the injector top.

give the fuel rail above 6 a good push down and see if it clips back on to the injector top.

I gave it a try, even tried levering it with a screwdriver between the rail and the manifold... didnt move at all... so i dont know where to go from here :unsure:

I'll ask my mechanic when i take it for a WoF tomorrow and see what opinion he can offer..

Another minor setback...

Failed it's WoF 1/2 an hour ago on:

Horn not working (removd boss kit and wheel, replaced with tech 1, works now :D)

Power Steering belt removed (replaced it)

Front Left Wheel Bearing (Mechanic is sorting it on tuesday)

So now i just need to get that damned 6th cylinder firing, and then take it for a re-check on Tuesday :D

just remove the rail and injector and put in one off ur old motor. if that doesnt fix it then i suspect a problem in the loom.

just remove the rail and injector and put in one off ur old motor. if that doesnt fix it then i suspect a problem in the loom.

If only it was that easy haha... i might have to get a swivel for my 3/8 or 1/4 inch drive, the bolts are a PITA to get to haha..

But i'll get there, want it totally done in time for thursday nights scrutineering ;)

Hi,

I't s great to see what you're doing with our old car. I log on every so often to see what you're up to and was pretty sad when it sounded like you were going to sell it, but I'm really glad you've stuck with it and are getting your new engine all sorted. I hope you get it all sorted and get to race it next weekend.

Cheers,

David.

Hi,

I't s great to see what you're doing with our old car. I log on every so often to see what you're up to and was pretty sad when it sounded like you were going to sell it, but I'm really glad you've stuck with it and are getting your new engine all sorted. I hope you get it all sorted and get to race it next weekend.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, it really is a great old car :D

You'll be pleased to hear how it went after a couple of hours work this morning then...

Pull lead #6 off, engine note changes, starts to drop revs, stutters and dies (idle was waaay too low :lol: )

So its RUNNING ON 6 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And it WILL be at the intermarques, going strong!

Feel free to come along and have a look at some great BMWs, some fun racing, and your old car going full tilt around Manfeild :P

Hmm and it gets weird...

So it seems i did the entire last round of the Intermarque sprints with no vacuum advance, which i thought could possibly be the cause of my hunting issues (asked a bout in quick questions).

But it still hunts. Replaced all the ICV hoses with my old ones, attached the vacuum advance on the distributor, and it runs considerably better now under acceleration but sometimes at idle it will still hunt. Its only sometimes, which i find quite peculiar, i have just tightened all the hose clamps on the vacuum lines, so heres hoping it goes away....

^air leak...somewhere...

Got no idea where though!! Seems to settle to an idle now most the time though, sometimes hunts like 2 or 3 times, then settles but generally settles...

And it idles at 1000rpm which im sure is probably too high, but not gonna mess with it now haha