Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

E30 320i Racecar

Another thing ticked off my list right now, wheels are sorted.. pics to come in a few weeks when they eventually arrive (getting m8s to pik them up lol)

Wow…..amazing. My wife and I owned your race car for the last 14 years. It was a great little car for us and the only reason we sold it was cos of the rust which was pretty inevitable when you live outside in Wellington for 10 years. We always serviced it when it was due and gave its paint work a real tidy up about 7 years ago (did some rework on just about every panel), so it never gave us any problems and always looked great.

We're really pleased to see what you're doing with the car. We didn’t really want it broken down for parts, so it’s fantastic that you're giving it a new lease of life. Now that we know you're posting on this forum, (i found it by googling your name and BMW – the things you do on a crappy Wellington Saturday) we'll keep an eye out for what you're up to with the car.

Good luck with the car and the racing.

Cheers,

David and Anne.

Yeah, credit to you guys it was in top condition, and the rust work turned out to be pretty cheap since i did it myself. Lol paint now needs a major tidy up... considering a respray, maybe blue? And i definitely noticed the lack of dents on the car. It was a bit of a shame to do this to it tho because it was such a nice car to start off with it.... i feel like i've murdered the poor e30 :o

Big dramas on saturday, went to go get my dinner and i hear a loud "clunk" from the back of the car, pull over and have a look and the diff is hanging down 2 inches off the ground.... nursed it home, jacked it up onto stands and it turns out the nut had come of the diff mounting bolt.

Searched around the garage at home, and i finally found a nut that would fit. So now my diff is held on with a wheelnut from a ford telstar lol, better swap that out ASAP.

Got my new wheels just in time for christmas, decided to test fit while i swapped out the bolt holding my diff on.

Nice brand new and shiny :D

post-3253-1231543369_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1231543523_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1231543599_thumb.jpg

you got the tires yet? and are you going to run drums on the back?

Nope, haven't sorted out tyres yet... i don't know about the drums... i may upgrade to discs but i'm not sure if it's worth it just yet....

I ran drums for my first season and a half, stopped the car OK. :lol:

Nothing wrong with drums lol.... they lock up reaal nice :P

Yeah, credit to you guys it was in top condition, and the rust work turned out to be pretty cheap since i did it myself. Lol paint now needs a major tidy up... considering a respray, maybe blue? And i definitely noticed the lack of dents on the car. It was a bit of a shame to do this to it tho because it was such a nice car to start off with it.... i feel like i've murdered the poor e30 :o

Sorry for the delay in replying - we went away for a while at Christmas. Great work on the car and the new wheels look great. We consider that you've given the car a new lease of life, so paint it whatever colour takes your fancy.

I'll check back in here every so often to see what you're up to and see when you get it out racing.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Cheers,

David.

Major setback, turns out half of the 15X7 wheels i bought are 16X7.5.... so don't really work with race series tyres :(

So decided to finally do some more work on the car.... out comes cold airbox, in goes ducting from foglight cover...

Now i have figured out modifying my old box to fit the duct will be near impossible, so time to rethink andcome up with a new cold air box :D

Seems like I'm going backwards, with no Cold Air Box anymore, but i swear its still progress...

Professional looking pod adaption, with custom cable tie mounting:

post-3253-1237790211_thumb.jpg

And stylish vent mesh with hidden intake ducting:

post-3253-1237790324_thumb.jpg

Now all i need is some alloy to make a new box :D

Then it'll be all ready for the intermarques...

Slap some new bushes in, wheelss and tyres and i should be out there in amongst the race series guys for next season!

Edited by HUFF3R

Seems like I'm going backwards, with no Cold Air Box anymore, but i swear its still progress...

Professional looking pod adaption, with custom cable tie mounting:

post-3253-1237790211_thumb.jpg

And stylish vent mesh with hidden intake ducting:

post-3253-1237790324_thumb.jpg

P'shizzle. Get some oven tray!!!!

Thats what i'm tryn for... lol, haven't looked hard yet, saving for a helmet :P

I don't know how I missed this build! Top effort man. Will be keeping an eye on this.

I don't know how I missed this build! Top effort man. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Cheers..

Should be doing some more on it soon, but it's soooo slow on a student wage, i never thought i'td take so long lol

Cheers..

Should be doing some more on it soon, but it's soooo slow on a student wage, i never thought i'td take so long lol

+1

May seem like an odd question, but does anyone know where to get a decent oven tray from... i've looked in the warehouse and the supermarkets, buut all they have is damn nonstick ones with gigantic lips around the edge...

Wanting one too make into Cold Air Box (top quality racing style :P)

May seem like an odd question, but does anyone know where to get a decent oven tray from... i've looked in the warehouse and the supermarkets, buut all they have is damn nonstick ones with gigantic lips around the edge...

Wanting one too make into Cold Air Box (top quality racing style :P)

I had this problem. Lucky found some old ones, when we go to the dump to weigh our cars there is a old recycling center store there, probably find some there. Or Can go halves with you on a 2x 4 piece of alloy for 37.00 each haha

The trash palace at the dump sounds like a plan, might check out briscoes and kirks first too, they sometimes have the older style stuff...

If not i guess its alloy sheets ae :P

More progress: Just bought a helmet like 2 seconds ago, so now millimetres away from being ready for intermarques... should probably renew my BMWCC membership too....

Edited by HUFF3R

Got me some oven trays on the weekend, thank you Moore Wilsons :P

Only 30 odd bucks too, and i have heaps of alloy... so gonna be hard at work soon figuring out a new cold air box... should be mint

Been busy with my other car at the moment tho... fixing dents etc... im so glad they taught us how to bog at tech :P

Time for an update on the cold air box

So after a couple of hours when i was bored last night i built up the most ruthlessly POS cold air box ever... but it works so who cares :lol:

post-3253-1240439076_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1240439174_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is insulation tape.

And yes, the box is sealed in there, will not come out unless rivets are drilled.

I know thats a bad idea, but right now i'm just happy its done. Will make it perfect later.

Edited by huff3r

Good work using the force young padiwan....

Good to see you followed in my footsteps haha

Yep, except more troubles.... hope bottom hoses aren't too pricy...

Turns out the intake piping was a little close to the bottom hose, which was then a little close to the alternator :o

Should only be a minor setback, as long as i can get a new one fairly cheap...