Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

E30 320i Racecar

Hey just a thought man. I am not sure if those Jamex seats are approved by MSNZ.

1.2.1.1 A suitable MSNZ approved competition seat designed for use with five or six-point harness and with appropriate mountings must be fitted according to App Two, Sch A, Section B4.5 diagram 8.

1.2.1.2 A suitable MSNZ approved harness of either five-point or six-point mounting as detailed in App Two, Sch A, and Section B 4.2 and Chart A 4.3.1.

the seats are definitely suitable - there must be at least 10 cars using them.

Edited by zenetti

To be MSNZ approved it just has to be a quality replacement seat by a known manufacturer... i made sure i read all the rules at least 3 times :D

If the class ever ends up going national or something i figured i'd just upgrade the drivers seat, but for now i cant afford $600each

Update: Cage is painted, sourced a windscreen thanks to mosen europarts, so should be back together this time tomorrow and then it's just waiting for the authority card before i go for my WoF ^_^

Edited by HUFF3R

the seats are definitely suitable - there must be at least 10 cars using them.

Been using one for 3 years now, very happy thanks Jono and Keith :D .

Been using one for 3 years now, very happy thanks Jono and Keith :D .

Yeah, definitely good value for money... can't wait to bolt it in proper and go for a drive, and the harnesses are pretty mint too, apart from having to drill one extra hole each side for the 6th mounting point..... but whats 2 extra holes when ive already drilled six :P

Update : Car is back together... getting the dash back in was a mission, probably need to make some new mounting points, as i had to cut the passenger side one off ( i managed to get my rollcage real tight against my pillars :) )

Just need to get windscreen in, paint roof and get an inspection for my authority card and then it'll be pretty much done

and the harnesses are pretty mint too, apart from having to drill one extra hole each side for the 6th mounting point..... but whats 2 extra holes when ive already drilled six :P

Not sure if I am reading your post right, but I think what you are saying is that you are using existing mounting holes for your harnesses? If that is the case just double check you can get the right size backing plate (in the regs it sates the plate must be over 400 square mm (or something like that), works out about 65m x 65m)) this will be checked at LVV card approval and in scuitineering, and is a critical safety feature.

Not sure if I am reading your post right, but I think what you are saying is that you are using existing mounting holes for your harnesses? If that is the case just double check you can get the right size backing plate (in the regs it sates the plate must be over 400 square mm (or something like that), works out about 65m x 65m)) this will be checked at LVV card approval and in scuitineering, and is a critical safety feature.

Nope, i am using new mounting points, the point i was trying to make is that a 6 point harness requires one more attachment than a 5 point (obviously) which means i had to make up one more mounting point for each side..... a little bit of a hastle, but its done now.

Update: Roof is now re-painted (a stylish black roof making it look like an early cortina with a vinyl roof), roll cage padding is in, so pretty much ready for the authority card...

Some pics from this afternoon....

post-3253-1227683439_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1227683444_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1227683449_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1227683453_thumb.jpg

post-3253-1227683458_thumb.jpg

And i know i'm a shocking photographer and the car is filthy, but you get the idea...

Passed my scrutineering for the authority card sweet as today, so should be on the road real soon :D

looking good ^_^ how far you off from being complete?

Just wheels and tyres really... when i get some money i might consider new bushes and a new exhaust, but student wages aren't that high :D

Yep, just gotta wait for the authority card to come through so i can get a WoF.... u'll be fighting a few people for the passengers seat, i'm pretty much booked for 3 strait weeks of taking people for rides lol

Yep, just gotta wait for the authority card to come through so i can get a WoF.... u'll be fighting a few people for the passengers seat, i'm pretty much booked for 3 strait weeks of taking people for rides lol

Haha sweet as, rather ride in my wagon first..tho atm has a shell and no wheels/wheel mounts/ so im not going anywhere fast hahaha

atm has a shell and no wheels/wheel mounts/ so im not going anywhere fast hahaha

sounds like my car when i decided to do suspension then realized i had the wrong sized struts :P

Got my authority card today, turns out Motorsport NZ is way quicker if you actually go in and see them...

Bookin in for a WoF at 8am tomorrow so fingers crossed it'll be roadlegal by 9 :D

hey, have been at block coarse at wintec for last 2 weeks, looking nice been taking a sneek peak when no1 is around, did you happen to get a pic of how the seats were mounted? ive got plans on doing a e30 once ive sold my rx7 that will never get finished with my wages, cheers hope she works out

hey, have been at block coarse at wintec for last 2 weeks, looking nice been taking a sneek peak when no1 is around, did you happen to get a pic of how the seats were mounted? ive got plans on doing a e30 once ive sold my rx7 that will never get finished with my wages, cheers hope she works out

I just put the L brackets both the same way on each seat, and they fit on the front mounting bolts, and for the back i drilled some holes in the floor, and made up some 2mm steel plates with nuts welded to them, and riveted them under the floor.

Unfortunately no more looking at my car :P, since i'm in wellington now lol

Passed my WoF this morning too, with a mention of the dodgy tyres on the back, but still legal :D

Lol... i've been learning the past 2 days why people don't recommend a proper harness on a road car, it really is a PITA! Especially when you get all bolted in and realise your killswitch isn't in... 5 minutes later and your finally ready to drive off lol

Lol... i've been learning the past 2 days why people don't recommend a proper harness on a road car, it really is a PITA! Especially when you get all bolted in and realise your killswitch isn't in... 5 minutes later and your finally ready to drive off lol

yus im glad i left it for the mo hhahahha

Got the fire extinguisher installed today... always a good safety mod..

Not a biggie, but it is recommended that all switches, etc are within reach of the driver when fully strapped in. You might want to look at where you killswitch is, if you have a problem and need to shut down in a hurry you really don't want to remove the harnesses to do it.

You will get quicker at getting in and out with practice - keeps you fit as well! Especially wearing a race suit and helmet.

What is the legal situation with harnesses on the road, do you have to have all six straps connected? I often drive on the road with just the shoulder straps in, still better than a 3 point belt?

Looking forward to seeing the car at Manfield, you got wheels and rubber sorted? I may have a couple of practice wheels and tyres for you to borrow if needed.

Nah, its my external killswitch thats causing pain... inside the car i just use the ignition, since thats what the killswitch runs off anyway... turns out i'm not gonna make it to manfield, just called work and even tho i'm supposed to get one day off every weekend i have to work both this weekend :(