Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

E30 320i Racecar

soooo slow on a student wage

just be glad you can do it on a student wage - I couldn't, and my g/f can barely cover her living and fee costs as she has no parents, and we all know the loan structure benefits the wealthy who can hide their income.

Rant over, awesome job so far - I'm going to go get me some oven trays -awesome idea.

Everything works again!

Got a new hose this morning, thank you mr stealer

Only set me back $55 haha, pretty much the same as the subaru..

But at least they had one there, and now the car is fixed and will definitely be running for Sunday

Ok, so not the biggest update, but soon enough the useless drums at the back for (not) slowing me down willl be gone, replaced with a nice set of Discs... thanks Jon (E30 325i Rag-top)

Hit some trouble, after a dead battery for several weeks i've replaced it and the car is smoking.... badly

Changed the oil, now has some nice thick 20W50 in it, and nothing much has changed :(

So it's become a project, i think i'm gonna have to rip out the engine and do a rebuild, or at the least do the piston rings...

But on the plus side, i've started today on the big job of tidying up the disc brake rear end and getting it ready to repaint the subframe :D

^^Yeah, exactly

Had a hard run at manfield for the intermarques, rarely driven for 2 months, WoF expired, been sitting ever since and now it smokes :unsure:

Ok, poured nearly an entire bottle of Nulon StopSmoke into the engine today and.... nothing :(

Still pours out smoke, except now it starts from 2,500-3,000rpm instead of 2,000... still not good tho

Beginning to look like im gonna have to replace the engine, and then maybe rebuild it as a race motor... just need to find some cash to buy a replacement with, and an engine stand, engine crane and some more tools :D

If your going to race then you dont want a second hand engine, you wont find one thats done under 150k. As a rough guide when i built the engine for my race car it cost about $1000 for parts and machining.

If your going to race then you dont want a second hand engine, you wont find one thats done under 150k. As a rough guide when i built the engine for my race car it cost about $1000 for parts and machining.

Wouldn't it be ok, if the second hand engine is in OK condition allowing enough time for the "race engine" to be rebuilt and then inserted into the car. The then second hand engine can then be rebuilt as a full race spec engine knowing that there is more time as the other engine is good for awhile...

Would have thought that was light for a 6 pot,

gaskets, full top and bottom, around $300,

rings and bearings, $650 for full set,

Head, grind and skim, $300,

Block, skim, $100,

That's without hoses etc, and assuming you have no problems with the existing crank and head.

I know of people who have spent around twice that for parts alone, and been happy with it.

This may not go down well, but why not put a 350 chev in it? Cheap....power....understeer....surprise oversteer...

Yeah, a 350chev wouldnt work at all... (wrong team ;)) but it is intended for the race series eventually, maybe 2 seasons away now :(

I thought a second hand engine would be best for now, as it means i can still use the car whilst i build up a race engine, and surely 2 engines are better than 1? :P

Hopefully coming in the next 2ish weeks, new engine and full engine swap :) cant wait!

Yay, new engines on its way, thanks to Mike (323e30).

Should be putting it in pretty much as soon as i get it, possibly have to wait till the 11th/12th/13th tho because of uni...

Who's keen to help out on an engine swap? :P

^^ If you pick me up and drop me home I'm more than willing to lend a hand, if you provide refreshments for the duration :D Can't make the 11/12/13 as I have a previous engagement at Pukekohe, the next week end is Ok, if I can bring the kids :P

A second hand engine in reasonable nick would be OK for racing with, just don't expect to be anywhere near the front of the field! On the plus side it will get you out there racing, on the downside you will forever be working on the exisiting car and engine, the spare race engine will always be waiting for time and or money (this from one who knows, I now have TWO spare engines, one for a E30 build and the other for Open class).

To me, the plus outweighs the minus.

me and my flatmate can go from having my racecar on the ground running to having the engine out and gearbox and clutch off in 1 hour. we have done it a few times though. and that is without a hoist.

You should be able to get it all done in a day if you go for it.

Cheers, thats the plan... gonna rent a hoist, and they charge by the day, or 4hr block so the faster the better :P

Can't wait for the pallet to turn up now with the engine on it :D

Ok, new engines arrived... excited pallet pictures to come lol...

Engine swap... maybe next weekend? Dunno yet lol, working a fridy night close (2am!) so maybe the weekend after :P

Edit: Happy Snaps :D

post-3253-1253260758.jpg

post-3253-1253260787.jpg

Edited by huff3r

Small update:

And we have progress, new rear subframe is being rust-killed and painted (just waiting for paint to dry :D)

Bonnet is off, ready for engine removal.

Car in the process of being jacked up off front right chassis member (my sills are crazy bent!) and back wheel is an inch off the ground! I love how stiff these cars are :D

Next up: remove radiator and all ancillaries prior to organising an engine crane and doing the swap :P

^ Hey Paul, give me a text this weekend if you need a hand, I am free to help pull E30's apart considering mine isn't currently in bits :P

Ok, so slight change in plans... as soon as the new engine is in, and the roof tidied up a little (as tidy as a spray-can job can get...) it's on the market complete with spare (blown) engine, and a freshly painted rear disc brake subframe.

All it needs for race-series is new wheels + tyres, some more rollcage padding and all the security seal holes drilled.

Could do with new bushes too, and a decent paintjob... but apart from that pretty sweet.

Have to get rid of it before i can finish it unfortunately, as Uni fees arent going down and this car deserves to make it all the way, so that will have to be with someone else. :(

Thats unfortunate dude. Hopefully someone picks it up and finishes it off nicely!

Thats unfortunate dude. Hopefully someone picks it up and finishes it off nicely!

Yeah, thats what m hoping for. Realistically, racing a series the size of the E30 series is no students sport.

On the plus side, if it sells i get to try motorcycle racing instead...

Yeah, thats what m hoping for. Realistically, racing a series the size of the E30 series is no students sport.

On the plus side, if it sells i get to try motorcycle racing instead...

Ok, so some good news. Since thats the theme and all :D

I no longer need to sell my car because I am no longer a student, I've applied for the Airforce which will make finishing this off perfectly manageable.

The bad news. So far its still sitting in my garage with the bonnet off, the radiator out and the old engine in with the new one on a pallet on the floor. I'll get there one day :(

Ok so I'm making a list and checking it twice. Lots to do but at the same time not much, and it all needs prioritising lol.

Hopefully with some help from some of the awesome guys on here it will have the new heart in this weekend and be well on it's way to a full road-legal and maybe even race-ready recovery :D

Here's my list so far, just so i can come back and check what else there is to do :P

-Touch up cage (side intrusions, seatbelt bar)

-Secure belts (cable ties!!)

-Rollcage padding (passengers side)

-Swap engine

-Authority card

-WoF

-Rego

-Paint trailing arms

-Rear subframe bushes

-Discs machined? New discs?

-Install disc rear

-Paint roof

-Touch-up paint tailight

-Paint interior?

-Check out rust/battery box

-Wheels and tyres

-Front suspension bushes

Anyone got any suggestions on anything I'm missing? lol im sure theres more work i could be doing but I always think of things at the most awkward moments ;)

I'm hoping to get it road-legal dor the WGTN event on the 1st weekend of April, so pressures on! Race-ready by the 1st intermarques maybe, but i do have a course starting in May (maybe?!) to save for too.... Haha i'll just have to make sure i have enough for 17 weeks of 2-minute noodles and get studylink to pay the rest ;)