Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Best E30 Wheels - Ever

I'm having a think-tank guys...I was looking at a couple of E30 wheel alternatives and started to think what I would like

Criteria

1. I am a big basketweave fan as its stock looking, fits perfectly, wide enough for standard power, cheap, rides well etc.

2. No BBS RS recommendations, I know what they look like and like them...feel free to post up pics of VERY hot cars with them on however. I would like something "different" (as long as it looks good to me)

3. Must be light - I was looking at Compomotive MOs 5spokes as I quite like them, not sure how much they weigh, they are meant to be a motorsport wheel so shouldnt be too bad.

4. 15-17" considered - 17" maybe but I have always been against them, however more rubber and bigger brakes arent bad

Sam, I hope to have your input on these you little guru

4x 100, I'm not converting to 5 lug for wheels

My wheel history is 17" Chromes, 14" bottlecaps, 14/15" Weaves, 16" ACS (I like the size but a little heavy)

look forward to seeing your thoughts fullas! these criteria will most likely change so prepare to evolve! Interested in new ideas. Colour would poss be graphite/dark grey on a red car

+ something to consider, tyre selection and availability, what are 16's like to get race & street rubber for?

17 would be pretty common I imagine?

I went through a similar exercise recently Gus as am thinking of changing to 16's, but have decided to have a go at new shocks etc first.

16" rubber is next to no difference in price to 17 (in fact it was cheaper for Dunlop Sport Maxx's). There are fewer sizes available, but enough to fit most e30 fitments.

Anyway, I quite liked BBS LM's but they don't make 4-stud. Then I came across simmons OM's which they do make in 4-stud. Simmons are a really good quality light-weight wheel, and the OM's are similar to LM's. I actually found them on UK ebay, but turns out mag & turbo have them in nz aswell.

Mag & Turbo

Since you are in the UK... Schmidt wheels (super expensive though) - mean dish.

I have a soft spot for Ronal Turbos on the right colour car:

http://www.tunershop.co.uk/Wheels/15_inche...de61348b5fa3fdc

And... maybe BBS LM replicas are available (in the UK anyway):

http://www.stsmotorsport.co.uk/specialoffers.asp

I also like the not-available-in-NZ Exim Mesh (just google it) ---> good offset.

nice work so far..i quite like those simmons, but they look a little busy for me. what sorta $$ we talking?

i liked the simmons shakey jake had on his car, a nice 5 spoke jobby. although I am not sure about 3piece..they seem to much hassle and $$ for little extra actual benefit.

ronal turbos..you're a brave man! kinda old shcool rally car ish

not sure about the exim mesh - wanting something different other than a basket weave clone

BBS LM's I like a lot..I had forgotten about them. Those reps are quite cheap, would want to hear feedback on quality first. i do actually like them a helluva lot.

BTW, I am not a fan of the dish

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep em coming. Pics of cars with examples is nice too! I like the basket weave look but wouldnt mind something different with a bit more rubber/lower profile

16 v 17" is a toughie though

16 v 17" is a toughie though

16" - definitely

I like the 16's mainly cos they look better unless the car is kitted. There are enough road and race rubber out there for e30's too (225/45/16) but you wont find much wider rubber than 225. Brakes arent such an issue, can still squeeze 308mm rotors under 16's which should be plenty.

what sort of price we talking gus? perfect fitment or spacers ok?- that would open up your options to a lot of the jap wheels

Works VX-SS look pretty cool

If you want pics of e30's with different wheels, then the e46fanatics thread Josh posted up is good.

Link

that's a nice thread graeme, i must have missed that one!

kinda agree with 16's TBH, although the compomotives I am after seem odd as 16's. Does anyone know the offset of the alpina staggered wheels?? (7F and 8R)

price is sorta nice>reasonable...the £800 for the compomotives seems pretty reasonable for brand new, perfectly straight and a nice wheel I like, so NZ$2k-2.5. I wouldnt want to spend huge money on them.

Interesting points Mike - I would PREFER that they had no spacers etc. Those work VXSS look almost BBS LMish? I quite like em. do they come in 4lug and can you choose offsets?

225 rubber would be ok, about the max you can fit on the rear anyway

Nice work guys, keep em coming!

Gus I really like Borbet As but they are heavy. The Borbets for show /street and some 15" weaves that can get damaged for the track would be ultimate. But I've never owned either so worthless comment I suppose.

If you want pics of e30's with different wheels, then the e46fanatics thread Josh posted up is good.

Link

Who else gets a funny feeling when reading a thread like this that makes you remember why you bought an E30 in the first place? I love these threads thank you so much Bravo.

that's a nice thread graeme, i must have missed that one!

kinda agree with 16's TBH, although the compomotives I am after seem odd as 16's. Does anyone know the offset of the alpina staggered wheels?? (7F and 8R)

price is sorta nice>reasonable...the £800 for the compomotives seems pretty reasonable for brand new, perfectly straight and a nice wheel I like, so NZ$2k-2.5. I wouldnt want to spend huge money on them.

Interesting points Mike - I would PREFER that they had no spacers etc. Those work VXSS look almost BBS LMish? I quite like em. do they come in 4lug and can you choose offsets?

225 rubber would be ok, about the max you can fit on the rear anyway

Nice work guys, keep em coming!

Hi Gus,

Put some staggered Alpinas on one of my M Sports the other day.

205/50/16 and 225/45/16. Beautiful fit, excellent feel.

I`ll find out the offsets for you.

post-1470-1219224141_thumb.jpg

Hi Gus,

Put some staggered Alpinas on one of my M Sports the other day.

205/50/16 and 225/45/16. Beautiful fit, excellent feel.

I`ll find out the offsets for you.

post-1470-1219224141_thumb.jpg

They look great Ray still the best E30 rim i think

Gus, 17" rubber ends up being slightly cheaper, and if you're going to run them on an M-tec kitted car, they're the perfect size (lookswise, at least.)

Bigger wheels mean lower % sidewalls and better turn in though.

There ARE 4 stud BBS LM's available, but only in ET40 and 17" DevoE30 on R3v has them on his digi camo beast.

Scmidt are heavy as f**k. I'm sure we've all seen the you tube videos of crazy germans driving on them with no rubber to show how strong (heavy) they are.

Also, compomotive aren't as light as you'd think. Their 17" MO is around 18lbs from memory.

The only point in running split rims is that if you're tracking them, its easier to replace a lip or barrel, rather than an entire rim. The upside is that if they're forged, they're stronger, the downside is that they're slightly heavier. a 17" BBS LM weighs 1.3lbs heavier than a BBS RC for example.

If you're in the UK, why not look into http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/ some tasty stuff there.

hank, I love you

bukkake chicken?

Ray, i must say the 16" alpinas look brilliant...i went off them for a bit but they look really good. got any more pics?

If you can't find a wheel you like on that site (Image) then you're a picky bastard. Not cheap though. You gets what you pays for I guess.

Posted Image

Vampire, courtesy of Prime Time.

Reference British Land Speed Record, special Billet wheels supplied by Image Wheels International.

I would of thought know what happened to richard hammond in this thing they would of taken that down off the website hahaha

hmmmm however a set of 18's might be in order for the race car.

these are hot and i've been looking for them for some time!

Posted Image

I'm having a think-tank guys...I was looking at a couple of E30 wheel alternatives and started to think what I would like

Criteria

1. I am a big basketweave fan as its stock looking, fits perfectly, wide enough for standard power, cheap, rides well etc.

2. No BBS RS recommendations, I know what they look like and like them...feel free to post up pics of VERY hot cars with them on however. I would like something "different" (as long as it looks good to me)

3. Must be light - I was looking at Compomotive MOs 5spokes as I quite like them, not sure how much they weigh, they are meant to be a motorsport wheel so shouldnt be too bad.

4. 15-17" considered - 17" maybe but I have always been against them, however more rubber and bigger brakes arent bad

Sam, I hope to have your input on these you little guru

4x 100, I'm not converting to 5 lug for wheels

My wheel history is 17" Chromes, 14" bottlecaps, 14/15" Weaves, 16" ACS (I like the size but a little heavy)

look forward to seeing your thoughts fullas! these criteria will most likely change so prepare to evolve! Interested in new ideas. Colour would poss be graphite/dark grey on a red car

What car is it for? What kit does it have? I like the Alpina multi spokes and given they were available here I would snap a set up, I originally had my hart set on some split rims but they were ultimately only good for show purposes and not practical.

I know you said no 5-Lug but I like this for some reason, the wheels just work well with the Silver Tech II Touring.

Posted Image

Link

Wow that thread still gets me excited every time I scroll through it, it also makes me glad I don’t have a credit card.

bravo, i am being as fussy as possible!

its for an e30, no kit.

15 " weaves are still looking strong

I suppose basket weaves would suit it best then, its personal preference though, Im a big fan of OEM of tuner wheels like AC/Alpina/Hartge and would most likely only ever consider BBS as an aftermarket option.

You are in England though so the choice would be staggering one would think, I look at Performance BMW’s feature cars with envy.