Sign in to follow this  
BM WORLD

2.8 M20 engine .

i have a stuffed M52B28TU engine( from a e39 96 528i) , was thinking about fitting the crank and rods etc into a e30 M325i M20 engine.

does any one have any info on whats envolved , i read a artical in total bmw etc about what to do , but cant find it now .

cheers

I don't think the TU crank is the right one for the 2.8, cant remember why but have read it somewhere.

Try e30zone these heaps of these on there

I've got that article, but it's down in Dunedin (i think), I go back tomorrow, can scan it if you want.

e30zone.net has heaps of info, they seem to think it's the bee's knee's.

Brent, I have the article at home, from memory it suggested it was dead easy. I'll try and find it tonight if nobody beats me to it.

That's a sweet rebuild. What sort of numbers would you expect from the rebuilt motor. I've been humping along with plans for some low supercharged boost, but this looks like more fun, and I have a feeling it will go a fair bit harder than a 2.7 and can always boost it later.

That's a sweet rebuild. What sort of numbers would you expect from the rebuilt motor. I've been humping along with plans for some low supercharged boost, but this looks like more fun, and I have a feeling it will go a fair bit harder than a 2.7 and can always boost it later.

Looks more hassle than it's worth, unless you have the parts lying around like Brent.

Just find a whole M52B28 and plonk that in.

Are you thinking of building a motor for someone Brent?

You could stroke your E36 DD, but I guess 'if it ain't broke....'

I agree, looks alot better than a 2.7. I would say with full mapping you should be around 220-225 hp @ flywheel??

Looks more hassle than it's worth, unless you have the parts lying around like Brent.

Just find a whole M52B28 and plonk that in.

yes but that brings on whole lotta problems as well.

Are you thinking of building a motor for someone Brent?

yes it s for a freind in the race series , but i think he will do it .

You could stroke your E36 DD, but I guess 'if it ain't broke....'

yea my thougts . if it went wets then i might consider it

I agree, looks alot better than a 2.7. I would say with full mapping you should be around 220-225 hp @ flywheel??

yes i think so to .

and they are enought stuffed 2.8 m50 engine around to use to.

I think you use the m20b25 block, head and pistons but use E30 320/323 conrods (130mm) with the m52b28 crank.

A spacer needs to be made for the front of the crank to build it up to the same size as the larger E30 front seal.

I think you use the m20b25 block, head and pistons but use E30 320/323 conrods (130mm) with the m52b28 crank.

A spacer needs to be made for the front of the crank to build it up to the same size as the larger E30 front seal.

Yep or 320i conrods. IE and MM make spacers. IE one is $50US, MM one $200US.

add m40 pistons and ur compression ratio shoud be about 8.5-purrrrfect for turbo=it works well!!

Has anyone on Bimmersport built a M20 2.8ltr? I have a friend who wants to build one, any feedback please.

Has anyone on Bimmersport built a M20 2.8ltr? I have a friend who wants to build one, any feedback please.

i think 'muzza' is

Unless it's 11:1 compression don't bother (basically).

They need a lot of head work to run right also.

I'm talking from a 3.2 ltr view though.

i have a stuffed M52B28TU engine( from a e39 96 528i) , was thinking about fitting the crank and rods etc into a e30 M325i M20 engine.

does any one have any info on whats envolved , i read a artical in total bmw etc about what to do , but cant find it now .

cheers

hm.... what's stuffed in the m52b28tu engine ?

as for m5x crank into m20, besides oil seal i hear b28 might have clearance issues in the block and might need some grinding ?

as for rods and pistons there are some options there... stock m20b25 pistons with eta 130mm rods will end up the same deck height... with more swept volume=higher compression....

well depends really... you would have to quantify your goals and budget...

As mops said whats gone in the m52b28tu? I see you mentioned there are plenty of stuffed m50b28 motors around? Apparantly the m52 are good for parts to stroke out the m50b25 motors to something along the lines of 2.8L - 3.0L?

hm.... what's stuffed in the m52b28tu engine ?

as for m5x crank into m20, besides oil seal i hear b28 might have clearance issues in the block and might need some grinding ?

as for rods and pistons there are some options there... stock m20b25 pistons with eta 130mm rods will end up the same deck height... with more swept volume=higher compression....

well depends really... you would have to quantify your goals and budget...

As mops said whats gone in the m52b28tu? I see you mentioned there are plenty of stuffed m50b28 motors around? Apparantly the m52 are good for parts to stroke out the m50b25 motors to something along the lines of 2.8L - 3.0L?

the engine got over heated due to failed water pump/radiator etc.

the previous owner fixed it up , has to put some helicoils into the block for the head bolts to hold got it up and going the then some of the other bolts would'nt hold tried some selves then gave up beacuse they would'nt hold .

so basically the ali block is stuffed but the head and other parts are ok.

these ali blocks dont like getting hot at all .

where as the older cast iron blocks like in the m30 ,m20 ,m50 can handle a certain amount of heat before big problems occur .

i once drove a old wrecked car (E28 86 525i M30) home from otahuhu back to papakura with the needle in the red .

stripped the engine down and it was still ok inside

Ah I see, I always wondered with the alloy blocks. If you don't end up using them and want to sell the bottom end components i may be interested in a dew months ;)

Ah I see, I always wondered with the alloy blocks. If you don't end up using them and want to sell the bottom end components i may be interested in a dew months ;)

i have another crank availible if needed.

just call me

i think 'muzza' is

Yeah, but he is not telling anyone about it, supposed to be a secret...