Sign in to follow this  
sin-drome

NEW PLATES

hey guys was talking to a mate of mine and he said that you were able to get new plates for your car like the latest ones eg KT4059 change to EKQ113 (just example plates ) :P

can anyone tell me if this is true? if yes were can i get it from and how much ? t

Edited by sin-drome

You can do that if the original plates are defaced, stolen or lost. Not sure if you can change them just because you "wanted". You can do that in AA, VTNZ and VINZ.

Just take one of the old plates into the above places and ask for new ones.

Cant remember the cost but it aint much Yes you will have to part with some cash

i had my plates stolen, Got the newer type for 14$ easy as pie, but think you need a reason for changing them before you can get em

my mate wanted to change to the newer style, just bent one of the plates at 90 degrees along the horizontal- sufficiently damaged to warrant new ones. (or you could just keep one for the garage wall and say it was lost) $14 and maybe some change, no problems.

With the suggestions he's shown it looks as though he isn't suggesting a straight upgrade to the newer style plates but to get a later registration number. If so you would have to re register you car, I believe, but don't quote me on that.

Why????

yes. why would you want to change??

change to europlate style i understand but change to a different number letter combination, i don't get it????

Natahn did it on the 320 I stole my tech II from - something to do with making it look more modern??? Personally I don't get it either.

Yea, it might seem ok now, but if you're planning to keep your car a while, original plates tend to add some value-especially if the car is NZ new. I would say an E30 with its first registration number intact is worth $500 or so more than one that has been 'defaced'. Some might disagree. But I'd think my car less special if it didn't still wear PD2479.

Tell em you're selling your plate to someone else (i.e. its a personal plate), should be no problem to change....

thanx for all the info guys the plates on my e30 are pretty screwed up eg bent and all that so mite go down to the vtnz

this weekend

cheers

Andrew

Tell em you're selling your plate to someone else (i.e. its a personal plate), should be no problem to change....

Yea but if you do that, you have to show them the old plate (personalised plate) before they can change it over. Got caught out by this when I brought my 200sx