Sign in to follow this  
Mattzy

Matts 1988 325i B-road Panda coloured WIP

Almost ready for D1NZ, Whats that lip?

Haha not with the way that D1NZ is thesedays.

Lip I believe is off a PFL E30... RJS hates it. :lol:

Will however probably take the car along to a meremere cone day once I get an LSD. Either that or buy another open and lock it.

cars looking great, keep the updates coming!

Lip I believe is off a PFL E30... RJS hates it. :lol:

Cant bloody stand it but hey each to thier own.

You also have prefacelift headlights for some reason too....

Fair enough haha.

Lol, Mint - Go for the LSD over locked.

pfffffffffffffffft. Mattzy would rather spend his money on stickers :lol:

edit: which reminds me, I have some ground control stickers you can have. USDM y0.

Edited by JiB

cars looking great, keep the updates coming!

Cheers mate!

Cant bloody stand it but hey each to thier own.

You also have prefacelift headlights for some reason too....

Yeah I definately like the look of the FL ones better. But for $900 you cant be too picky :lol:

pfffffffffffffffft. Mattzy would rather spend his money on stickers :lol:

edit: which reminds me, I have some ground control stickers you can have. USDM y0.

Haha no way! Handling > Rice/asthetics

But at this stage I can't justify $700+ for a gold plated factory E30 LSD (at least i'd hope it would be gold plated for that price!) I guess demand and avalibility dictate price on these for you guys.

And besides lockers really aren't that bad. I daily drove one all last year.

PS - You know i'm totally down for those stickers!

$700 is cheap/normal for a clutch LSD for Nissan/Honda/etc as far as I am aware.

To be good for serious work (eg race or drift) you kinda need to spend another few $100s to get some more clutch packs in there.

$700 is cheap/normal for a clutch LSD for Nissan/Honda/etc as far as I am aware.

To be good for serious work (eg race or drift) you kinda need to spend another few $100s to get some more clutch packs in there.

Factory nissan R200 VLSD's can be had for around $300. What I was saying is that $700+ for a factory LSD isnt on the cheap side.

But yeah, your right when it comes to Nissan aftermarket mechnical 2ways etc.. You can normally pick them 2nd hand up for around the 700-850 mark.

And I know your also right about spending the cash now. Do it once - do it right eh.

I guess my point is that a viscous LSD is close enough to useless for what you want, so just because they are cheap doesn't mean a proper LSD is cheap.

So the BMW ones aren't a bad price at all - they're certainly not gold plated!

I went from Open -> Helical -> VLSD - > Shimmed VLSD -> Locker -> 2way in my last car. And honestly a Shimmed VLSD is definately up there for "bang for buck" modifications.

I do hear where your coming from though and I know at the end of the day your right.

Are there any other paths i can go down to sort out an LSD for the E30? Do any other LSD centres fit the 30's housing?

On another note - Suspension is finally on its way!

Om nom nom

Posted Image

A Ford Atlas ZF one might be the same (have heard conflicting info, so I doubt it. Even if the plates etc are the same, the splines and crown wheel bolts etc probably aren't), as might others from other Euro cars (but same proviso).

But you'll have the same problem - they'll cost $700-1000.

The only cheap ways I know of are to either:

- be good with fabrication and fit something cheaper

- buy a BMW with a medium case LSD for a good price and either part it out or swap to a non-LSD and resell.

Edited by CamB

A Ford Atlas ZF one might be the same (have heard conflicting info, so I doubt it. Even if the plates etc are the same, the splines and crown wheel bolts etc probably aren't), as might others from other Euro cars (but same proviso).

But you'll have the same problem - they'll cost $700-1000.

The only cheap ways I know of are to either:

- be good with fabrication and fit something cheaper

- buy a BMW with a medium case LSD for a good price and either part it out or swap to a non-LSD and resell.

Bugger it looks like im just going to have to bite the bullet eh.

Cheers for that info Cam. Another few questions for you if you have the time - How good are the factory LSD's on E30's? Any idea of % lock? And what are the guys who run the race series doing?

Cheers,

Matt

Factory is 25% lock if its still doing what is advertised (ie isn't worn out).

I'm not sure what some of the guys do (remember the E30 class is open diff only). I do know what Mal Clark at By'gone Autos does (he's done 5 or 6 recently):

1) Re-shimmed with an extra clutch pack on each side, which involves disassembly, machining out inside of the housing slightly, reassembly and check (then remachining or shimming as required to get the right lockup).

2) Machine a slightly different ramp angle, which changes how aggressive the lockup is on acceleration (1.5 way). For drift you'd probably want both sides machined (2 way).

He also replaces bearings as needed (unfortunately not necessarily cheap). You can pick any sort of lockup you like.

If you were lucky it might be $500 in parts and labour, but you'd need to be lucky.

Edited by CamB

Thanks again Cam. Will have to get in touch with him.

Wow I had no idea that the race series was running as open diff bandits!

Edited by Mattzy

Wow I had no idea that the race series was running as open diff bandits!

Yeah, no victory donuts for them.

Update again:

Lance popped over and sorted out the tappets this afternoon - Cheers mate, your a bloody champ!

There is still a little bit of ticking going on, but its definately an improvement. Hopefully an oil change will help quieten things down a bit.

I on the other hand took it upon myself to relocate the sweet Whangarei spec immobilizer switch which was drilled into some trim into the no longer working the cigarette lighter - Choice!

Looking foward to finally getting things going - Its getting closer!

Suspension arrived this morning - Hopefully things will come back together pretty swiftly now.

My good mate Mark also sorted a non-damaged fusebox cover and center console ash tray for me.

I still need to sort out:

E30 Boss kit (repco are $100+)

2x SP Sportmaxx - Several places have quoted $410

12-14mm slip on spacers - $?

Longer studs - $?

Pedalbox rubbers - $?

Inner and outer gearstick boots - $?

Get the offset castor bushes pushed in - $?

Alignment - $?

WOF - $30

I took apart and cleaned all the intake/TB and associated piping the other evening but the car still hunts quite a bit at idle/may have a miss. Hopefully it's just plugs or leads or something simple - either way i'll probably get my friend at Nissan to take it into work to diagnose the problem (I have no patience for things like that haha)

Upon removing the intake I noticed that the previous owner had done some more Whangarei spec mods to the intake and actually drilled some holes into the airfiler box (thankfully before the filter!) whether this has anything to do with the hunting at idle I am not sure.

Pics to come - stay tuned,

Matt

Posted Image

Damn!.. dont the front vented discs look cool on the back! :lol:

Posted Image

Rear shocks

Posted Image

Front shocks

Posted Image

Blingn' springn'

Posted Image

Interior has cleaned up pretty well - still needs some reassembly

Edited by Mattzy

Coming along good bro! Sorry didnt reply to your text a while ago but have since mis placed those spacers lol.

Coming along good bro! Sorry didnt reply to your text a while ago but have since mis placed those spacers lol.

Cheers bro, no worries about the spacers. let me know if they do turn up though!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Been pretty busy with work lately but its time for an update:

Ended up trying Toyo T1r's from M&T (thanks Johno!) Never used these before so will be interesting how they go.

Got some el-cheepos from JiB for the rears- thanks dude!

- Shifter is sorted thanks to my mate Ian at Nissan Newmarket (cheers brother!) - Pics to come

- Need to grab some rear shock boots and some front top hats before putting the rest of the suspension back toegther.

- Repco seem to be the only place atm who are doing boss kits for E30's.

- Still need center console inner and outer shifter boots.

- Still need to sort out the engines miss (Someone help! haha...)

Should hopefully get some good progress this weekend and fingers crossed be back on the ground shortly!

Cheers for reading,

Matt

Edited by Mattzy

Mean Maori Mean! Take me out for a skid au!

Hey! They're not el cheapo's they're Bridgestone something or rathers. Will turn into smoke very nicely thank you very much :P

Mean Maori Mean! Take me out for a skid au!

Hey! They're not el cheapo's they're Bridgestone something or rathers. Will turn into smoke very nicely thank you very much :P

Haha sorry!... I meant "sporty"... Says Bridgestone:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...el=Turanza+ER33

:lol:

Tuff. I like how its coming along - will be a weapon!

Tuff. I like how its coming along - will be a weapon!

Cheers mate - Was just having a read of your build! Damn nice

Cheers - I need to tidy that thread up, half the pics have gone AWOL. Plus I have a bunch of new pics with some subtle changes.

I'm loving those rims of yours. I know why Sam is the way he is - too many nice rims around for e30s to only have 1 set!