Sign in to follow this  
Mattzy

Matts 1988 325i B-road Panda coloured WIP

Ok.

So i've replaced the coupling with a brand new one and the car still vibrates badly from the driveshaft at 45-50km

and I cant figure it out why! Surely it cant be that difficult.. Somebody help!

Posted Image

New coupling installed

Posted Image

I noticed that you could see the splines on the driveshaft near the center hanger bearing (or whatever its called in Germanland)

On a brighter note I found my car was leaking oil from the rocker cover gasket, so I've bought a new one and the associated half moon seals.

Check out my sweeeeeeeet transparent rocker cover!!

Posted Image

Custom!

Posted Image

Old rockercover

Posted Image

I made electrical tape stars.. f**k yeah, you know you want them!

Guest Simon*

Haha legend! Nice stars ;)

Did anyone take you along on the cruise mate?

I vote no to red. Something dark, maybe a nice purple ;)

Are you sure it's the driveshaft giving the vibration?

Hey man, could be your driveshaft hanger bearing? Also had you ever driven the car before you started the project? Could be a simple fact that the driveshaft is out of balance....

Its normal to be able to see the part of splines where the two shafts connect as the shaft will slip in and out slightly as the motor shifts forwards and backwards slightly under acceleration and deceleration.

Haha legend! Nice stars ;)

Did anyone take you along on the cruise mate?

I vote no to red. Something dark, maybe a nice purple ;)

Are you sure it's the driveshaft giving the vibration?

Nah mate, I think the driver of the ugly duckling got shunned haha!

Yep I feel pretty confident that its driveshaft related.

I think I've decided on a colour too... Naturally im not saying what :lol:

Hey man, could be your driveshaft hanger bearing? Also had you ever driven the car before you started the project? Could be a simple fact that the driveshaft is out of balance....

Its normal to be able to see the part of splines where the two shafts connect as the shaft will slip in and out slightly as the motor shifts forwards and backwards slightly under acceleration and deceleration.

Hey mate, yep was driving fine when I test drove it when I had the shifter issues. So unfortunately I dont think its the bearing.

Any idea If I need all 6 bolts? I've got the 3 bolted to the gearbox output flange and assumed I didnt need the other 3 that originally held the balencer in place.

Bah.. something so simple... <_<

Your running spacers aye? Could it be something related to the wheels or spacers? Alignment etc.....

Yeah dude. However I ran the car to 45km's on jacks and it was still doing it. Also I've had the car aligned already.. I'm totally stumped..

And i'm sure its retardedly trivial!..

OK, you have the coupling bolted up worng. 3 bolts hold the coupling to the output flange, and the input flange on the driveshaft is held on by 3 more bolts to the other 3 holes in the coupling. There are molded arros on the edge of the coupling by each hole pointing to the flange(so you know which holes for which flange. Other wise the coupling is doing nothing - not absorbing any shocck or vibration from the motor. It may as well be solid mounted.

Also, check you have your universal's in phase. if you don't know what I mean, I'll post a picture.

Also, If you have had the driveshaft in two halves, and the universals are inphase, try the halves 180 degrees different in case you did it wrong and stuffed up the balancing - the shaft is balanced as a single unit in the factory.

Finally, if your centre hanger bearing is in good shape, make sure you preload it by pushing it about 3-5mm to the front of the car on its adjustment slots before tightening up the bolts all the way.

It is normal to see the splines exposed as your photo shows.

Edited by bravo

Apart from the poor condition your coupling should look like this

Posted Image

Apart from the poor condition your coupling should look like this

DUDE.

I dont know why I didnt notice... I know what I've done!..

Edit - BTW - I owe you a beer

Edited by Mattzy

Sweet as man. Just glad you posted a picture or else it'd be pretty hard to diagnose.

OMG haha I saw that in ur pic Mattzy and thought you had done it for a certain reason lol! I wondered why you had three holes spare, Good spotting bravo. D

idnt know about the pre loading of the hanger bearing so we all have learnt something from this cheers B)

OMG haha I saw that in ur pic Mattzy and thought you had done it for a certain reason lol! I wondered why you had three holes spare, Good spotting bravo. D

idnt know about the pre loading of the hanger bearing so we all have learnt something from this cheers B)

Haha nah mate. I'm just full of fail lately.

Im going to go buy a fiberglass bonnet out of anger. :lol:

Buy me one too kthnxbai.

You still looking for sideskirts and/or rear bumper? Give me PM

btw, I have some stickers for you :lol: (one is moderately offensive :D )

It lives!

I test drove it this afternoon after fixing my driveshaft oops.. I hit the motorway for a few kms and other than the brakes having the stopping power of warm cheese it drove surprisingly well. Steering does feel a tad vauge but maybe thats just coming from my last car with adjustable coilovers and adjustable arms blah blah etc etc

Other updates:

Rockercover is painted. Its got bit of glitter.. But not much... Gotta' keep things sensible :lol:

Posted Image

Bit of glitter in the clear coat (guess the colour!)

Posted Image

I did the valve cover and half moon seals so hopefully that stops a few leaks.

Posted Image

Next I need to pick up the belts and run the car for another 500km before I chuck another filter and some nice oil in. I checked the plugs today and they also look like they've seen better days, so i'll sort out a fresh set of plugs too

Then its panel and paint time ;)

Edited by Mattzy

yaaaya this car is so sick man, i love all your lil crazy touches you have added :D

cant wait to see it in person

Come on Matt give up the colour. Don't go purple that's so 1994 E34 ha.

Nor homax yellow for that matter :P Edited by the stig

Like the colour of the rocker cover. Has given me an idea for mine - will be different to yours.

Will have to talk paint when I next see you as I have a couple of questions for you.

yaaaya this car is so sick man, i love all your lil crazy touches you have added :D

cant wait to see it in person

Cheers dude! should look choice when shes all paneled and painted. Still a fair way to go though!

Come on Matt give up the colour. Don't go purple that's so 1994 E34 ha.

Haha the purple looks good on Simons car but its not my thing ^_^

Nor homax yellow for that matter :P

Ok you got me.. Its Diamond Schwartz Baby diarrhea brown ;)

Like the colour of the rocker cover. Has given me an idea for mine - will be different to yours.

Will have to talk paint when I next see you as I have a couple of questions for you.

Thanks bud, I've given up painting things lately so my friend did this rockercover for a bottle of wine.

Mmm alcoholic car painters :lol:

But feel free to bounce your questions off me because I've done several RC's before!

Ok you got me.. Its Diamond Schwartz Baby diarrhea brown ;)

Diamond Shwartz Scheiße Braun.. :wub:

Good choice man.

Your rocker cover looks good as ^_^

Edited by skrillz

That touch of glitter is just perfect Matt! Looks awesome dude.. i rekon that colour would be a mean colour on the car too B)

Bastard, I wanted poo brown. Contrasts well with lime green. Paint yer wheel centres silly colours while you're at it.

Diamond Shwartz Scheiße Braun.. :wub:

Good choice man.

Your rocker cover looks good as ^_^

Cheers mate, hasnt come out too bad eh!

That touch of glitter is just perfect Matt! Looks awesome dude.. i rekon that colour would be a mean colour on the car too B)

Thanks dude, It just might ;)

Bastard, I wanted poo brown. Contrasts well with lime green. Paint yer wheel centres silly colours while you're at it.

Haha, you know what dude... You can have poo brown :D I'd love to paint the wheel centers a really solid red but im keeping this sensible.. or something along those lines!

Brown is awesome, this is a Renault colour I believe.

Posted Image

Just in case you were contemplating it.

German Racing Brown? Also known as Byzanz Metallic.

post-1721-1233167669_thumb.jpg