Sign in to follow this  
jjs

The Bimmersport Election Poll

The Bimmersport Election Poll  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And be totally knackered? So the only time actually spent with the kids is in a ratty tired condition? I'm sorry, but perhaps I hold seemingly frivolous things like spending time with one's children in too high a regard. Maybe this is why so many children today wander the malls every day after school dressed like hookers and gangsters instead of maybe playing a sport or engaging in a more fruitful activity developing themselves?

Both my parents worked when I was a kid, my mum did a 30hour week, she would drop us off and pick us up at 3pm, we were never waiting at the gates, then take us to our after school sports, and have the whole weekend to share with us, never was she too tiered, never did we get neglected.

People now days are just lazy.

Yet another generalisation.

I'll bet most of the genuine people on the DPB would work harder than you.

Edited by Eddy

I'm talking of a house in Papatoetoe not Botany, big difference. And sorry my math was wrong, it was around 200k gain. But still my point stands.

Actually no, it doesn't.

If it's suddenly a 180-200k house, and she bought it with a $60k deposit at a time when you could fix mortgage rates at under 7% for 3 years (which it probably was), then her mortgage payment would have been similar to rent.

So, the house doesn't feature in your argument. If anything, you should admire the woman for having the discipline to make the decisions she did.

Maybe you need a trip to a country without a social security system. It sucks.

People on the DPB work? Wow that must mean I live off my own sh*t?

Actually no, it doesn't.

If it's suddenly a 180-200k house, and she bought it with a $60k deposit at a time when you could fix mortgage rates at under 7% for 3 years (which it probably was), then her mortgage payment would have been similar to rent.

$110,000 house. See my post on the previous page.

People on the DPB work? Wow that must mean I live off my own sh*t?

Oh, so to you to be "working" you must be in paid employment?

Being a mother doesn't count then? What about the elderly, are they bulgers too?

Both my parents worked when I was a kid, my mum did a 30hour week, she would drop us off and pick us up at 3pm, we were never waiting at the gates, then take us to our after school sports, and have the whole weekend to share with us, never was she too tiered, never did we get neglected.

and what about those with pre-schoolers?

Deregulation didn't help.

Also Kiwisaver will help wean our dependence on property as security/retirement

not 100% on that front.the money put in over a lifetime wouldnt last the 10yrs+ of my retirement.

cause of the low returns,interest mainly

but its goverment secure,so its better then sticking in to blue chip properties :P

but any saving plan for a nation of non-savers is better then nothing.

just hope or politians dont gamble our saving on hedge funds,stock exchange etc

$110k house - even better (although reading comprehension owns me).

To be honest I'm losing interest in this conversation. The problems in world credit markets and the implications for New Zealand - through credit and through own own growth and that of our trading partners - dwarfs any actions either party is going to make.

The chances are the next 3 years are going to be so crap that whomever wins the election gets voted out next time.

What a superwoman. Yes perhaps people today are too lazy. But most mothers that I have encountered, lazy is the last thing that enters my mind. I would imagine most parents that work are usually fairly knackered when they get home, and combination of having to cook dinner, etc, etc makes them quite short on energy/temper compared to a fulltime parent.

I still do not understand what you are arguing for?

We were discussing benefits for those in need. I'm not sure a nurturing environment can be obtained with a single 30 hour income as well as having to play both parenting roles.

silver fox, are you enjoying this late evening read?

love to here your views

To be honest I'm losing interest in this conversation. The problems in world credit markets and the implications for New Zealand - through credit and through own own growth and that of our trading partners - dwarfs any actions either party is going to make.

The chances are the next 3 years are going to be so crap that whomever wins the election gets voted out next time.

agree with you completely

You're dead right-winning this election will be the hospital pass from hell.If I was John Key I'd throw it & be assured almost guaranteed success in 3 yrs.

I live in Papakura.

DPB Is the preferred form of employment.

Most of the employees sit at home smoking/selling drugs.

They pump out more kids to get more money.

For more drugs and more alchohol.

Not for their kids.

Some of you that live in flash suburbs may not see what actually go's on in some of the 'lesser' suburbs.

Also IMHO i think people should keep their sh*t in their pants and not have kids until they can afford to look after the little beggars themselves.

And once again.

Sam Spargo for PM

P.S: Ban immigration.

P.P.S: I see *sic is reading this. Fully waiting for a Honda related stab at smartassness lol :D

Edited by ED1RTY

C'mon now children, you're all missing the point here, The current financial trouble we're in is caused by man's natural greed. No amount of government intervention can change this, and it is a known natural fact. All things in this world of ours go in cycles, not the kind you ride either. We just happen to be going thru a rather abrupt corrective one at the moment which is taking things back to where they probably should be anyway.

With regard to our benefit based society, IMHO it is basically sound, but open to abuse from those who wish to rip off the rest of us, again greed is a motive.

As far as political choice goes, I doubt Labour and National have ever been closer on policy matters than at the present time?

I guess if Helen actually trusted anyone other than herself, and was able to come across as a leader, and had a party that wasn't full of lapdogs, I may even have considered voting for her?

But you know what, at the end of the day, I actually don't like her, no matter that she may be a very good politician, I just plain don't like the woman.

By the way, my mother worked when I was young, and don't anyone dare say I was neglected. It's not working mothers who are causing the problems in our society, in one word, it's lack of respect.

Just for you Marty. :P

Edited by Silver Fox

C'mon now children, you're all missing the point here, The current financial trouble we're in is caused by man's natural greed. No amount of government intervention can change this, and it is a known natural fact. All things in this world of ours go in cycles, not the kind you ride either.

Thats right, I think its called the Juglar cycle. We are in the crises right now, recession is coming, next recovery then expansion, then repeats itself.

Key will (probably) get us through the recession, everyone will hate him because its a recession, and Labour will get the next term.

While I don't disagree that greed is the problem, I do believe that better regulation can provide some boundaries on the swings in "markets" (defined broadly).

For instance, it really didn't help that no-one - including the people who invented them - truly understood the risk picture behind collaterized debt in the way it evolved over the course of this decade. Can regulation stop this happening again? We will have to see...

(edit) and ED1RTY --- "ban immigration" isn't going to get us far

Edited by CamB

^ Might stop the massive influx of hard drugs that come into our country from asian immigrants.

whoever will fight the NZ war on drugs is probably the one thing id be looking for when im voting..

I'm more worried about which small party could hold the balance of power and then force some obscure policy on the new government (i.e. Greens or Maori Party).

I was waiting for you to say something, as you always do. Its like primary school all over again, the little boy who throws acorns at girls.

The fact that you are a girl again has nothing to do with it. Also, in fact I don't think I've ever thrown acorns at anyone in my life, seems a bit petty really.

I just don't suffer fools, of any gender. I also can't stand small minded uneducated people who spout off in a completely uninformed way about an issue that they have no real knowledge of (just what their other small minded friends also think).

I don't think any of the parties are perfect, and think that National will win by a pretty large majority, maybe even enough to govern alone. I don't dislike National, and think that they have some pretty smart people within their party. This is the hardest choice in an election that I have ever had to make, but will vote Labour (as I have already said), as to me they are still marginally favourable to National.

Unfortunately who ever is in power is in for a pretty rough time for the next few years. It will be an interesting time for everyone I think (all over the world).

Interesting topic, none the less. Lets just try and keep the debate an educated and clean one.

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

I have given this all some serious thought and have come up with a SUREFIRE WAY to win the election.............

CUT GOVT SPENDING!!!!!

Hear me out though........... cut the amount of politicians we have, freeze their salaries or cut them, limit the amount of free travel they get and we will save BILLIONS :lol: . For a country with the population of most major cities around the world we have a huge amount of red tape to cut through.

I can see you guys queing up to vote for me already.......

Now.. which party shall I align myself with :P

Edited by zenetti

^ Might stop the massive influx of hard drugs that come into our country from asian immigrants.

whoever will fight the NZ war on drugs is probably the one thing id be looking for when im voting..

So don't blame "immigrants", blame criminals. The vast majority of immigrants come here to work hard and build a new life.

And its a good thing they do - we ship far too many people off to Australia as it is. Without reasonably strong inbound immigration we would have no economic growth (no workers).

and what about those with pre-schoolers?

Have you not heard of early childhood education which starts with 2 1/2 year olds, then there is kindy, then primary. House wife doesn't class as a job now days in my opinion.

I live in Papakura.

DPB Is the preferred form of employment.

Most of the employees sit at home smoking/selling drugs.

They pump out more kids to get more money.

For more drugs and more alchohol.

Not for their kids.

Some of you that live in flash suburbs may not see what actually go's on in some of the 'lesser' suburbs.

Also IMHO i think people should keep their sh*t in their pants and not have kids until they can afford to look after the little beggars themselves.

And once again.

Sam Spargo for PM

P.S: Ban immigration.

P.P.S: I see *sic is reading this. Fully waiting for a Honda related stab at smartassness lol :D

This is what I'm trying to say, thank you!

Please, it would be good if your arguments were sound and not baseless

For those who want to cut the DPB, how do you propose the people that are genuinely dependant on this are going to support a family? If they have no money and can't afford anything they're going to get a little desperate don't you think? What if the children are preschoolers, as Mike said, makes it harder than you think - good thing there is some preschool funding but you'd want to take that away too right?

Personally I would benefit GREATLY from tax cuts, but I wonder what would happen to the poverty gap and think of other countries where the poverty gaps are massive, where the poor live in terrible slums and the children are forced into labour and worse, when they get sick or injured because of the poverty there's no medical help since it's all privatised. Places like this make for very poor vistas.

One thing I hate is politicians selling off national assets and right now National wants to do exactly that.