Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

Depreciation

Spotted an 06 E500 Merc at local dealer.done 11,500ks.

Price new was $167k,For sale for $106k

Thats a hit of $30k per year or $5.30 per kilometre!!!

Now thats gotta hurt.

A friend of mine has just bought an '04 S55AMG, stunning car. Depreciation works out to $5.52/km or $66,250p.a. Ouch.

lol. My e30 has depreciated $0.40c a km. That's still a hell of a lot. So from now on, if I give my mates a lift to town - Yea, that'll be $5 bucks for gas, and another $10 for depreciation thanks. Don't worry - I won't charge you for wear and tear, Reg/wof or insurance.

Or look at it this way - the more kms you do, the less depreciation is per km, so get out there and drive it now! You're being paid to drive it!

Edited by bravo

I worked out mine depreciated at about 15.3 cents per km

I have it in my cars book somewhere but what was the "NEW" price for the M-tec 1 Motorsport, do you know Bravo?

I just got a '92 750il for $2k. I remember they were about $220,000 new. 750's have to be one if not the fastest depreciating BMW.

I just got a '92 750il for $2k. I remember they were about $220,000 new. 750's have to be one if not the fastest depreciating BMW.

$220000 over 16 years aint that bad. Depreciation tends to level off over time, it's only the first few years that are the worst, $220 000 over 16 years works out to be $13750 per year (disregarding the $2k that its worth atm).... compare this to the dude who lost $30k in the first two years!

Edited by Avenged.SSE

Was that the silver one which recently sold no reserve on TradeMe? That had to have been one of the bargains of the year! I remember when I was about 5 years old and being absolutely gob smacked at a family friends brand spanking new '89 750il.

Pics are compulsory for 750il's

I have it in my cars book somewhere but what was the "NEW" price for the M-tec 1 Motorsport, do you know Bravo?

Close enough to $80k for this exercise.

I forgot to subtract the current value of my vehicle. So mine is more like $0.35c/km lol.

I hope that I have the correct model Shelly and yours is the 2 door M-tec, then the new price was $77,630 plus on road costs.

Wow, hahaha, maybe one day it will be worth that again.

That's a lot of money to spend in the 80'

Edited by M325is

Wow, hahaha, maybe one day it will be worth that again.

That's a lot of money to spend in the 80'

Waiting a while, my first E34 525i in 1989 was $85,000.(thats why they call me Mr E34)

Edited by mr E34

just buy a classic model then they dont go down so much or at all .

Was that the silver one which recently sold no reserve on TradeMe? That had to have been one of the bargains of the year! I remember when I was about 5 years old and being absolutely gob smacked at a family friends brand spanking new '89 750il.

Yeah. Was a bit of a gamble as i didn't view but a that price was worth the risk but its been very well looked after.

Get some pics up for you Penry, nice to know someone likes them.

but hang on a minute, dont forget, the dealer will buy the car for much less money and sell them with margin on top of the cost.....

so, that $30k depreciation per year was only the best .... it's actually worse than that.

don't know how much margin dealer take for selling a car... for jap imports, its ranged between 4-7k? depending on cars.

but hang on a minute, dont forget, the dealer will buy the car for much less money and sell them with margin on top of the cost.....

so, that $30k depreciation per year was only the best .... it's actually worse than that.

don't know how much margin dealer take for selling a car... for jap imports, its ranged between 4-7k? depending on cars.

I'm a dealer, and if I could make $4-7k a vehicle I would be over the moon.

To be honest, if I can gross $1,500.00 a vehicle, I think I'm doing well.

Out of that I have to pay GST, rent, rates, water, power, phone, advertising, salesman's commission etc.

Being a car dealer these days is hard work for a small return.