Sign in to follow this  
ashy_aye

Impounded!

your car will come out fine after the 28 days. had my merc impounded for the same thing and it came out sweet, You can appeal the impound but only if you wernt driving as you say and i believe you need to make the appeal with a time limit , 24 hours within day of tow i think. I got Not guilty and the charges were dropped when it went to court but still had to leave my car in impound 28 days and still had to pay the impound fee of around 450$ they do not have to pay you back even if your not proven guilty.

prob not the best idea to do skids in residential areas either, all you need is one witness to see your plates to get you busted or to get you car seized. go some where secluded.

i agree that burnouts are dangerous but still think punishment should be decided on a case to case basis, a pissy little e30 non lsd is prob not likely to go out off control in any hurry and im guessing they wernt done while kids were playing hopscotch on the street either with grandma keeping watch. its the fools from the illegal drags that have made the big media stress about loss of traction, having swarms of people surrounding a car with no springs doing doughnuts is just asking for trouble. where as being in an industrial empty area in a wofable car can be completely fine.

Edited by 323e30

i agree that burnouts are dangerous but still think punishment should be decided on a case to case basis, a pissy little e30 non lsd is prob not likely to go out off control in any hurry and im guessing they wernt done while kids were playing hopscotch on the street either with grandma keeping watch. its the fools from the illegal drags that have made the big media stress about loss of traction, having swarms of people surrounding a car with no springs doing doughnuts is just asking for trouble. where as being in an industrial empty area in a wofable car can be completely fine.

thats what i was trying to say. thank you.

where as being in an industrial empty area in a wofable car can be completely fine.

You are so totally wrong. There is absolutely no justification for this sort of inane behaviour.

If I were to catch you doing that sort of thing, I'd do to you what the 4X4 driver in Tauranga did and smash your car off the road.

FFS everyone on here are Beemer drivers and SHOULD show a sense of responsibility.

If this forum is going to end up justifying this sort of immature behaviour, then I will be one of the very first to resign.

I think everyone here's broken the law at least a few times. I certainly have, and I'm not condoning it, but what can anyone do about it.

If I were to catch you doing that sort of thing, I'd do to you what the 4X4 driver in Tauranga did and smash your car off the road.

I dont think it should be done on the road either but realistiaclly its going to happen and when it does ild rather it happened out of the way where they can only cause harm to themselves.

using a car as a weapon deliberatly is insane... I dont care who does what ! you cant beat an idiot by becoming an idiot and I hope you arnt serious.

Yes we have all broken the law and in my case more times than I chose to remember, but there is a big difference when you are putting others lives at stake. This 'boy racer' mentality, doing burnouts racing their cars etc. is putting the lives of the general public at risk. To hell with the lives of the boy racers, let them kill themselves, it's no loss, but putting the lives of the innocent public at risk is an absolute no no.

minority ruins it for the majority, this may sound rude and im sorry but, some of you older generation need to get over it and stop letting John Campell wind you's up! attacking everyone that does a skid, and has a go at green light gran prix and calling them a "boyracer" etc is abit stupid if . Iv'e seen pleeeenty of older guys in their stupid holdens etc getting lose and going nuts off the line

I'm young, i go cruising, i even goto the skids (dont put my car thru all that but each to their own), havn't seen 1 person hurt yet apart from a run over foot as a car drives past at 5-10km/h(and that can happen anywhere)

...dunno what happens up north but its all pretty controlled for the Sort of enviroment it is down here in CHCH, the police make their presence known etc and it keeps most of the idiots in their sh!t heaps in line (the minority that ruins it for all!!)

JUST my view/opinion

There is a thing called KARMA that just lets you know that maybe you were not even doing something wrong this time, but it might help make everyone think next time.

sometimes your the dog, sometimes the hydrant.

Take the rap and move on...

Yes we have all broken the law and in my case more times than I chose to remember, but there is a big difference when you are putting others lives at stake. This 'boy racer' mentality, doing burnouts racing their cars etc. is putting the lives of the general public at risk. To hell with the lives of the boy racers, let them kill themselves, it's no loss, but putting the lives of the innocent public at risk is an absolute no no.

I agree. That is completely reasonable.

I don't know if anyone's read Maurice O'Reilly's Book but it basically talks about the stuff he got up to with cars in his teenage years in the 60s/70s. The danger he put himself in is insane. It's a really entertaining book. Have a read of some of the example stories found Here, they are really entertaining.

Anyway... He thinks that Boys will be Boys and if you take away things like cars, they simply turn to getting their thrills out of other things (dope alcohol etc). I think he's right and whats needed is a better approach to managing boy racer behavior. We need things like skid pans around the country. Because we have jack all at the moment everyone just does their thing on the street.

And I'm sure your attitude towards doing burnouts/skids/donuts or whatever has changed over the years Brian :). Not every 18 year old will be as considerate or wise as yourself.

your car will come out fine after the 28 days.

I wouldn't bet on that!

I actually have to disagree with you Brian.

1. Meremere is a long way from alot of places.

2. Are you agaist burnouts full stop or just on the roads? We have skid parties on my private land, and I know of a few private carparks in gated compounds where the boys let loose every week - perfectly legal, and often a damn sight more dangerous than some of the skids I see on the roads.

Its like all types of driving - it can be done in a low-risk way, or not. You can break the speed limit in certain circumstances with very low risk. Same with burnouts.

I get the feeling that in this case, it probably wasn't all that safe, but your firm anti-burnout stance prompts me to inject my 2c.

"To hell with the lives of the boy racers, let them kill themselves, it's no loss"

thats also a really smart thing to say...not!! im only 18 and think thats rather un-approriate actually

boyracers is a term used so loosely now because of media that it covers: tradesmen, uni students, small business owners, and generally some really intelligent people going places in life

boyracers is a term used so loosely now because of media that it covers: tradesmen, uni students, small business owners, and generally some really intelligent people going places in life

Fully agree here... people these days dont know the meaning of boy racer...

iv been labeled as one recently just from Having a nice looking car.

just because someone has a nice looking car that they have a pride and passion with doesnt make them a boy racer

just because someone has a nice looking car that they have a pride and passion with doesnt make them a boy racer

Doing ilegal skds does!

Doing ilegal skds does!

yeah it does, i dont do skids.

just referring to how the term is used so loosely these days

Hey the police have impounded my e30 Bmw under the boy-racer act for susstaind loss of traction, when sum one else was driving, it wasnt me or the other regesterd owner. is there any way i can get it relesed from the impound early? ? any help or advice would be greatly apreciated. Thanx.

Ahem back to the original topic.. I believe you have a complete defense under under Section 102(1) of the Land Transport Act which states:

Appeal to Police against impoundment of vehicle

(1) An owner whose motor vehicle has been seized and impounded under section 96 or section 96A may appeal to the Police against the seizure and impoundment on the grounds that—

(f) if section 96(1A) applies, the owner did not know and could not reasonably be expected to know that the operator of the vehicle would contravene section 22A(1) or (3) (whichever applies);

I would suggest that you have a good read of this act and base your defense accordingly. Here is a link Land Transport Act

I trust that you were not aware that your car was going to be used to contravene section 96. If you had any knowledge that it was going to be used for that purpose I would take great pleasure in putting spikes through your tyres if I ever got the opportunity. Otherwise good luck in getting your car back. PM me if you would like any further advice from someone who has had experience in a somewhat similar situation to yourself. AND DON'T LEAVE YOUR KEYS LYING AROUND. tut tut

Edited by melowpuf

Brian, you should think about what you say before posting it, chances are your worse off.

Edited by M325is

I agree here too. I have been labeled by people just because i drive a nice car with a set of wheels on it. I feel my car is very tidy and just because im an enthusiest about cars doesnt mean im a boy racer, i have my national race and rally licences and did the targa just recently im sure very little if any "boy racers" have these. Those with matt black nissans the have no springs etc are the real problems. And i agree that there is a time and a place for everything, skids too. I mean like my old man is into cars and enjoys doing a big smokey up the road and he has been racing cars at an international level for more years than i been alive, is this endangering lives? he can drive a car better than most can, also my grandad who is 80 and drives an e46 330 enjoys giving it a bootful. the point im trying to prove is its not only "boy racers" and that not every skid is endangering lives. Just my 2 cents not meaning to offend anyone.

Edited by Sammy J

I agree that people who do burnouts in the backstreet's are f**kin d*ckheads. You wonder if they have the capacity to realize what the consequences are. (Obviously not)

Brian, I don't agree with you. This guy shouldn't have his car in lockup for a month because some idiot at his work did a burnout without his knowledge. He has a perfectly legit reason how he got a hold of his keys. Why should he be paying? It has no standing whether he has done burnouts before.

Burnouts are hardly the one thing thats killing people on the roads. 370 people have died in car accidents in the last year. 96 accidents have been the result of drunk drivers. Are you going to start a campaign against them? I can't even find one single story singling out drivers doing burnouts as the cause of anyone persons death.

I'm friggn sick of being called a boy racers as well. For exactly the same reasons. As said, its the minority ruining it for the majority. One 17 y/o hits someone at 160km down a main road and suddenly the headlines "Boy racers kill again!", I mean seriously? Some idiot who can't control his car gives everyone the name HE deserves.

Theres my rant over.

True true,

don't hear about the 50 year old man running someone over, but as soon as a "boy racer" or someone who drives a car and is also <21 hits someone, there is a media frenzy.

hey people i wasnt wanting to start arguments between pepole or asking for sympathy, was just looking for advice. i had a meeting with our regional managed first thing this morning, just wanted to let everyone know that my work mate has exepted full responsability and my work is going to cover all expenses and any damage to my car when i get it back + a bit extra. and it will be recovered to them out of my work mates pay. just hopeing that my sideskirts arent damaged by being lifted by the forklift, as they are genuine and getting hard to find! Aaaah still quite pissed off! am forced to drive the auto now.

Just the other day a 50+ year old man killed himself and wrote off his brand new AMG (He'd just picked it up from the dealer). The thing was though, he was giving his car a thrashing on the back road 1 km from my school. Everyone goes up this particular road because of the long straits which are perfect for high speed tests.

Now if there was a 17 year old doing the exact same thing, he would of been labeled a boy racer and there would of been a whole lot less sympathy for him.

I'm glad things are working out for you ashy_aye.

After rereading this entire thread, I am still adamant about what I have posted.

Yes I might be a 62 year old fuddy duddy, but I do strongly disagree with the actions of a lot of younger drivers who do their burnouts and drag racing on the public roads in NZ. Some of you might call this "having fun", but when you are putting the lives of innocent members of the public at risk, these actions become a definate no no.

Guys, don't get me wrong, I love my cars especially my Beemer. Yes I like it to go fast, in fact it is booked in next week at Hi Velocity to have four grands worth of performance work done on the engine, So I am not an old "stick in the mud".

Have your 'skid pads', go to Meremere or on private property, but PLEASE keep the madness off the public roads, including the quiet industrial roads at weekends.

Good stuff, 325i intake a remap and few more goodies is it?? You’ll have to take us for a blat after next moths meet B)

I wouldn’t generally associate burnouts with illegal drag racing, a lot of people just do a static/doughnut for a bit of amusement and a laugh in most cases they park it up without a care who’s fastest or who had the biggest cock.