Sign in to follow this  
Cale

My First Spinout!

Heres my yarn for the day...

On my way back from Stats exam, decide to take a detour to Pine Harbour (for those who know it) to sort a couple things out.

Finish at Pine Harbour, last LH blind corner coming up to the main road, quite sharp, but can be taken safely at 80km/h IN THE DRY.

So come up to this corner, really hungry, 3 minutes from home, going about 80km/h, ITS WET.

I then forget that it gets minimal to no sun- so its mossy from last winter, loose the back end and get into a 'drift' situation in which I have no experience, therefore I cannot hold the 'drift'. Still going 75ish (didn't/couldn't look) as I know in order to hold a 'drift' you need a skillful touch of acceleration and good countersteering skills- I only only had the former.

Since I suck, the back end contunues to come around to my right, I see the big drop to my left- where I am heading... SIDEWAYS!!! I proceed to slide down the big gravel drop on two outside wheels (inside had left ground I believe). And thank the lord I come to a big, mud spashing stop without rolling my baby.

Needless to say, it was a very bottom clenching, (almost) change your undies moment.

God I wish someone got it on video.

And before someone says I am a 'boyracer' ( :P ) or a twat- I DID NOT see the moss had crept further onto the road, and not 3 weeks ago, I drove that road for 2 years, 6 times a week as it is on the way to the gym. And when finances allow (in a looong time) I will get really good tyres, springs and shocks, once again, there is nothing wrong with my current ones, only problem was they were designed 20 years ago. 'Till then I will drive slower.

Take care and drive safe everybody.

I'm pretty sure most people have a n00b moment like that now and again. I've had mine. Doesn't make them any less stupid.

Makes you be a bit more careful next time - just be glad there was no-one else on the road or you would have come a real cropper and taken some poor bugger with you.

Drive to the conditions, if they change....

Happy Touring.

Go buy a lotto ticket, you've hopefully learnt something and it hasn't cost you anything. ;)

Haha yeah, its the first time I have actually thought I could've done some damage to the car, another car, myself and/or someone else.

Heh gnarly. Why are there no pics of your touring?

How did you find stats?

mate - my dearest mother spun her e34 525i on Sunday on a road she drives every day. She's 40+, drives like all good mums do and had Pirelli's on it.

Happens to the best of us, glad you're ok...and you didnt roll your toy :)

Lol, you’d need a bit more power to keep a drift going! Did the same in mine when I did my sway bar bushes and new shocks.. went for a run with no back seats, trim or boom box and stepped it out big time at 80kph.. wouldn’t be hard on yourself, can happen to anyone at any experience level.

DW Mate! Weve all done it, I crashed my first car (E30 320i) into a kerb within 5 days of ownership! Talk about embarrassing... Glad to hear the only thing hurt was your pride :P

Its always good to have little frights like these everyonce and a while, just sharpens you up. The usual, going way to fast around a roundabout in the rain is my personal favourite, or forgetting to brake earlier when coming up to roundabouts in the rain.

Always happens at roundabouts...lucky I dont have a LSD or id be having even more trouble haha

My first spin out was the first day I drove my first car. Ended up facing the wrong way going around the Panmure round about.

When you get away with a noob moment like that you should always buy a lotto ticket.

not my first spin out ..but this morning ended up sideways by the roundabout by the airport i was shocked because i didnt even mean it ..normally go round it fine but duhhh it was wet this morning lucky she handled fine for some reason and there were no cars beside me :)

Heh gnarly. Why are there no pics of your touring?

How did you find stats?

i second that..were are the pics mate ? how did you find the exam ?

i thought it was pretty good compared to past exams :D

Edited by sin-drome

not my first spin out ..but this morning ended up sideways by the roundabout by the airport i was shocked because i didnt even mean it ..normally go round it fine but duhhh it was wet this morning lucky she handled fine for some reason and there were no cars beside me :)

haha epic, sounds like me

haha i had a spin about a month or two back, was just going too fast on my skinny rural road down and around an off camber corner... got too wide and into the grass and gravel, spun it 180 degrees bak onto the road, only to have my parents come round the corner after me to see a cloud of tyre smoke from the spin and me slowly driving off haha. gave me a fright thats for sure

i second that..were are the pics mate ? how did you find the exam ?

i thought it was pretty good compared to past exams :D

One day I'll post up some pics when I snap some decent ones. Hopefully this holidays so I can get it a bit cleaner.

Yeah, wasn't too bad huh? I think I did okay on everything 'cept 3.3 straightforward probablity. Funny how the ones with 'straighforward' or 'basic' are always the hardest.

Decent effort mate, glad you and your car are ok. It happens to everyone

just aswell you didnt have my e30 it gets sideways around just about every corner in the wet. doesnt matter if your going fast or slow or what gear you in or anything. can be a little edgy at times. but these kind of experiences are something to learn from and to hopefully not repeat too often

E30s are very tail happy - did on the e30 iS after a week of ownership.

signed up for bmw driver training the next day to learn how to control it :)

Heh first spin outs hrmmm. Mine was down in Chch about 7 years ago, coming up to a busy intersection in the rain, hit the paint markings on the road felt it starting to swing, thought ooooh this is going to be fun, turned into it and gave her a bit too much titty and ended up facing the cop sitting back on the other side of the intersection. DOH! reverse to the side of the road with him flashing his lights at me. He was very nice to me, I find the hysterical OMG WTF OMG OMG OMG I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE ANY MORE ITS SCARY act works a charm. Ah back in the days.

Now I like to think I've grown up a little more, speedway racing taught me a lot and now I have a lot more respect for cars and driving sensibly on the roads. Its amazing how much damage and injury you can sustain from being in a purpose built fully roll caged car and harnessed in not doing huge speeds and you hit the wrong thing i.e a dirt bank or ditch or another car. It definitely made me think twice about my road driving and the speeds I was doing after seeing ambulances carting people away.

BTW an e30 316's ate the whole 2litre and under class for breakfast out on the dirt oval. But then the engine seized on the last race of the day :( The young guy driving made it look effortless sitting on the very outside of the track pottering around the rest of the field. I have wanted to build one to race ever since.

Edited by melowpuf

Guest SamSpargo

My first major moment was in a suzuki vitara on the way out to Woodhill forrest for a MTB race.

Crested over a slight left hander in damp conditions at the sign posted speed, the arse stepped out, and started a series of 5 or 6 major tank slappers.

A car was approaching on the other side of the road, flashing me frantically with high beams. I kept over correcting and finally ran out of talent and the arse went completely round and I crossed the centre line backwards at a rate of knots.

There were 10ft deep drainage ditches either side of the driveway I slid backwards up it at about 50K's, and the dog that had been in the back ended up in the front passenger footwell looking like she was going to be sick.

Incredibly lucky to have hit that driveway, no telling how bad it would have been if I'd gone backwards into one of those ditches at a 45 degree angle.

The other car slowly cruised past, gave me a sheepish looking thumbs up and I drove very slowly to the race.

This was after a couple of driving schools, one at the manukau super stage on gravel. So don't feel too bad mate!

My first was in a Toyota Corolla, country road fast right hander over blind intersection crest, FWD snap over steer, 140kph backwards then forwards and on my merry way all in one movement without stopping still don’t know how I did it, I would have looked like a stunt driver.. My missus at the time puked all over the dash though.

Must say I have ended up sideways a lot since.

My missus at the time puked all over the dash though.

This makes me laugh! I can just imagine it... Hope you had a dash mat!

Man, my first spin was lame compared to all yours!

It was about 2am and I was heading home from a mates place in the middle of winter. They have this long driveway with a 90 degree corner in it and it was covered in black ice. I was only going about 20kmph and my car just didn't turn, I panicked, hit the brake which started a spin and ended up in a ditch, on the drivers side, pretty much vertical.

Calling the parents in the morning was a fun exercise

Na, lucky it was a old Corolla so it didn’t have any buttons anywhere.. the relationship didn’t last long after that. My mate in the back thought I was a legend though, couldn’t do it again if I tried.

Was like this I tell ya.. only no sand and less Arabs. No offence Crazy Arab

ahhh memories

i'd had my E36 about 5 hours, went upto a corner near stanmore road, about 7 cars at the intersection in the wet and bam! off she went, missed the cars, missed the gutter and forgot that reverse was the opposite to my jappa's so kept thinking id buggered the car becuase reverse wasnt where i was used to haha, very shameful! learnt my lesson VERY quickly

(was rather interested in the whole drifting thing and thought, hey, heres an opportunity...big mistake)