Sign in to follow this  
bravo

The reason why this forum shouldn't tolerate boy-racers

NZ Herald Article

Because it gives the government a mandate to rush legislation through with very little consultation.

Some of the proposals have a good chance of once again f**king things up for the law abiding car modifier or motorist.

If you do indulge in illegal street racing and the like, pull your head in.

Edited by bravo

But which of these 'suggestions' do you object to Bravo ?

- Using demerit points for offences including unpaid fines, speeding, noisy vehicles and false or obscured registration plates.

- Driver licences suspended for unpaid fines.

- Police being able to ticket immediately without having to give warnings at unruly gatherings.

- Third party insurance for vehicles.

- Increasing the age at which young people qualify for a driver's licence.

- Lowering the allowable level of blood alcohol for drivers.

Personally I agree with all of them. If you caught being a w4nker then you should face the consequences and each one of the above points mentioned in the article has its merits.

Personally I agree with all of them. If you caught being a w4nker then you should face the consequences and each one of the above points mentioned in the article has its merits.

Perhaps, but how does any of these new rules solve any current problems.

They're braking current laws, they aint going to give a sh*t about new ones.

Should also add that this is the same reason we shouldn't tolerate illegal modifications.

I'd like to see a 3 strike system. Strike 3 you loose your car (crushed) and loose your licence for 5 years.

That would bring a bit more respect and care by these guys

It's not the ideas Martyn, but the fact they will be implemented in a hurry, and without regard for the consequences.

I like the idea for demerits for unpaid fines. etc, but who's definition of a noisey vehicle is it? I have a noisier vehicle, but it passes its WOF. So a wanker cop decides to give me a ticket for my exhaust because he's having a bad day, and I have to pay for a noise test and fight it in court to get my demerits removed. Currently there is no demerits, and that is bad enough.

False number plates (AKA out-sourced euro plates?) = demerits - how can you agree with that??

I like the idea of third party insurance, but if you have read all the consultation documentation (consultation is still in its early stages and many submissions were received) you'll see its not a simple as changing the law. I wouldn't be surprised if government ignored all the sensible submissions just to rush a law through.

Lowering the alcohol level - I'm still not convinced that there are large numbers of accidents attributed to drivers who have been drinking, but are still under the current legal limits. it's just a way of making ir so you can't even have a single beer after work before you drive home. Make the penalty higher maybe, but are there really that many incidents caused by "drunk drivers" who are under the current limit???

What will lowering the level solve?

It's not the ideas that are the problem mainly, but the same old story with rushed, poorly written, poorly thought out, and difficult to enforce, legislation. Don't try and fix the problem at its source! Lets just legislate the hell out of everyone and if it doesn't work, at least we'll have made some more money out of tickets!

The only new rule i would oppose to is the registration one-demerits for that is bullshit!

Don't speed, pay fines on time etc etc, up the age to acquire a driving licence and compulsary third party insurance are all fair enough.

Yeah i agree with them all too, except this one ...

Police being able to ticket immediately without having to give warnings at unruly gatherings.

I agree that a fine should be issued without a warning, what is a warning going to do except let the dangerous driver off to do it again. The bit they need to be careful of is traffic police getting on power trips and ticketing people unreasonably.

compulsory insurance should have happened a long time ago, increasing the driving age also.

or ... perhaps if all the police weren't off issuing speeding tickets to motorists doing 5km over the speed limit they could do a better job rounding up the boy racers who are the real idiots who put other people in danger.

Yeah i agree with them all too, except this one ...

Police being able to ticket immediately without having to give warnings at unruly gatherings.

I agree that a fine should be issued without a warning, what is a warning going to do except let the dangerous driver off to do it again. The bit they need to be careful of is traffic police getting on power trips and ticketing people unreasonably.

compulsory insurance should have happened a long time ago, increasing the driving age also.

or ... perhaps if all the police weren't off issuing speeding tickets to motorists doing 5km over the speed limit they could do a better job rounding up the boy racers who are the real idiots who put other people in danger.

Bang on.

so are they putting eveyone into one boat ?

even if you like a certain car for what it is and you put money into it because you like it ? so everyone gets classed as a young yoon mmmm..

its those illegal races ,skids and boy racing in public thts killing this whole car thing for everyone ..

from suspension to blow off valves soon to be apparently bit harsh because off the " yoons " that kill it for everyone even the one not just riding their cars to be "cool"

They need some concrete in their coffee and need to harden up.

Its a problem that has always been and will never go. They need to change their behavior and not be so f**king anal and give them less media attention, I've been in those circles in the past and trust me, new laws etc just makes them want to get out there and do worse.

Goverment/Police/Locals need to be a bit more lax and ignore it. Either that or put some of the thousands of dollars revenue collected from ticketing boy racers into developing a system that lets boy racers do their thing with police present to keep an eye out for total idiots..

so are they putting eveyone into one boat ?

even if you like a certain car for what it is and you put money into it because you like it ? so everyone gets classed as a young yoon mmmm..

its those illegal races ,skids and boy racing in public thts killing this whole car thing for everyone ..

from suspension to blow off valves soon to be apparently bit harsh because off the " yoons " that kill it for everyone even the one not just riding their cars to be "cool"

Even if you have low suspension or a sneezing engine bay, don't speed and you won't be penalised! Do everything the right way and you won't be ticketed. I put heaps of money into my car and it's still legal hence i don't get ticketed.

Does this just not make sense?

these new laws wont change anything

If the right ones are inforced it bloody will!

3rd party compulsary etc is all great in theory but some people just wont be able get insurance or it's too expensive and they'll just risk getting a ticket...half of the people with no insurance drive around in $500 bombs with no license anyway so they just dont care if the car gets taken and they lose their license abit longer...

the media is just finding and filming all the idiots, i go "crusing" every now and then but im not a boy racer with cut springs and sh!t, iv'e even met small bussiness owners out there doing it, most people enjoy talking to like minded people and admiring others cars, it's all the dicks in their sub $1000 un WOF'd matt black cars with half an exhaust etc who bottle people and cause accidents, and im sorry to say but they're generally lower class. the police need to focus their efforts on them.

"hooning" has been around for years, and it'll just continue, unfortunity theres the non car enthusiasts who think it's just plain cool to like cars are generally the idiots who attract media attention

bob parker needs to focus more on taxi driver stabbings in town etc then a bunch of young guys driving round in circles...or squares... (im not saying all focus needs to be off the scene, it would just get worse then)

its the same old story - the minority ruining of for the majority, just come down on the minority, not everyone...

thats my view, i dont go boy racing every weekend so no doubt its flawed with some incorrect ideas but its there to be debated

I'd like to see a 3 strike system. Strike 3 you loose your car (crushed) and loose your licence for 5 years.

That would bring a bit more respect and care by these guys

And if your 3 strike system doesn't deter someone and they are found driving within that time, I would send them to prison. And for those that think that's harsh the answer is simple - just respect the law and you wont have a problem.

Edited by ducatiss

3rd party compulsary etc is all great in theory but some people just wont be able get insurance or it's too expensive and they'll just risk getting a ticket...half of the people with no insurance drive around in $500 bombs with no license anyway so they just dont care if the car gets taken and they lose their license abit longer...

You can get 3rd party for anything basically (within reason) so no problem there also 3rd party is not expensive if they're driving "$500 bombs" as you put it. If these people have no licence then they need to be stoped and heavily fined for being f**king stupid.

It's not the ideas that are the problem mainly, but the same old story with rushed, poorly written, poorly thought out, and difficult to enforce, legislation. Don't try and fix the problem at its source! Lets just legislate the hell out of everyone and if it doesn't work, at least we'll have made some more money out of tickets!

Yep, but that's true for lots of things - the symptom I believe of a system of government where there is no accountability for our politicians, (sometimes three years is too long to wait) no second level system such as a house of commons or senate to keep the government honest and veto the silly ideas and laws, and politicians being in charge of areas where they have no experience.

Christchurch waaaaaaaaa waaaa waaa waa Christchurch waaaa

Bloody hell, Bob parker is acting like this is a new thing.

So has anyone learnt anything bringing up teenagers/kids ? punishing the trouble some types with more, more!, MORE! is not really going to work as westie said.

Notice auckland problem has more or less gone away? (the troublesome ones anyways)

Gas price raise last year did wonders for AKL. A lot of them couldnt afford to keep the cars up to scratch so sold them.

Probably some sort of modification certification system similar to low volume but instead you have to have each mod certted, but have a price on each tested system.

Gas price raise last year did wonders for AKL. A lot of them couldnt afford to keep the cars up to scratch so sold them.

A Boy racer tax on petrol hmmmm - No I'm kidding on that one lol

Edited by ducatiss

Probably some sort of modification certification system similar to low volume but instead you have to have each mod certted, but have a price on each tested system.

This.

But make it more accessible to the greater public. Have the certifiers sort the problem BEFORE it hits the streets...

Make mandatory cert checks every 6 months on modified cars. Fu*k.. I’d spend another half hour every 6 months at a testing station if I was harassed less on the road.

I've been driving a friend’s car home from the pub when we were pulled by the boys in blue. We were then taken aside and "schooled" on the officers profound, ultimate and unsurpassable knowledge of "adjustable suspension" (read: aftermarket springs in factory struts) and incorrect automobile ride height (read: aftermarket side skirts) This overzealous officer eventually succumbed to my dashing good looks and charming wit and he let us off with no more than a warning - A warning about the extreme and imminent danger of car modification.. (fail)

The cops don’t know half of the law when it comes to car modifications.. This officer got out of the car with a block of wood and tried to explain to me that fiberglass sideskirts were the lowest structural point of the car and were under the 100mm limit.…

Take the power from the police and give it to the cert guys, guys who live and breathe cars, guys with the knowledge and the experience to not only make the mods legal.. but to make them safe for all the motorists. Free up police resource so that they can concentrate on some of the real issues out there..

IMO - Everything is wrong with the current cert system.

My last cert was just under $400. Now it seems retarded that I have to pay another $400 if I continue modifying (seriously who ever stops..) Surely you want to encourage the youth to do the right thing by making it easier (read: less expensive and more thought out) to obtain the right credentials.

Either that or deport the boy racers to Siberia.

From Russia with love bitches..

Posted Image

Edited by Mattzy

My last cert was just under $400. Now it seems retarded that I have to pay another $400 if I continue modifying (seriously who ever stops..) Surely you want to encourage the youth to do the right thing by making it easier (read: less expensive and more thought out) to obtain the right credentials.

As far as i know paying another $400 after the original $400 payment is bullshit, guy i know from Hastings just had his car certed for engine conversion and if carries on modifying the vehicle (which he will) it will only cost him another $150 which is fair enough.

As far as i know paying another $400 after the original $400 payment is bullshit, guy i know from Hastings just had his car certed for engine conversion and if carries on modifying the vehicle (which he will) it will only cost him another $150 which is fair enough.

That's not the story I've been told. Hence my car's extended hibernation. Perhaps it depends on certifier?

That's not the story I've been told. Hence my car's extended hibernation. Perhaps it depends on certifier?

Must do?

I think pricing is quite subjective to the shop you go to.

Still. Imagine, your 17.. Your first car, you want to do things legitimately. You can only afford to do a few mods at single time (if that) but you still want to drive your only car and stay current with the laws.. Thats one hell of a cost your looking at.. And our government isnt doing anything to encourage that "Do it right" attitude.

The government and the media are caught up in the Battle/War/Terror (subsitute your flavoured expression) against boy racing.

You could effectively stop all the exhaust problems before they hit the road. Certifiers have the correct equipment.. Cops have their "ears" and the words "Sufficiently louder than factory"

/edited for my special spelling haha

Edited by Mattzy

And if your 3 strike system doesn't deter someone and they are found driving within that time, I would send them to prison. And for those that think that's harsh the answer is simple - just respect the law and you wont have a problem.

Prisons are already overflowing bro.