Sign in to follow this  
rjac001

M3 E30 only 22 Grand

grab one for a good price now because in less than a decade they will be collectibles and demand a much higher price tag, as buyers are more willing to pay to get "what they have always wanted".

I would be somewhat cautious about this thinking ---> cars as an investment have had a pretty chequered history and certainly "pre-crash" prices (through history) on collectible cars have had a way of reversing.

I would argue that M3s are already a collectible, based on pricing. I'll catch yet more flack for this, but an E36 M3 is a faster, more practical, more sophisticated car at a fraction of the price. Any arguments against this will only reinforce that the E30 has "collectible" characteristics making it worth more.

But I'd rather have the E30 M3 if it was an option.

I personally think $30-40k is fair for a good but not excellent condition M3 with no faults, and the price can go up from there for the rarer models. My major beef was with $100k pricing on a certain convertible that never sold.

All fine and dandy until you open a few of the places they rush up (Scuttle / roof / rear battery box / inner guards. And find out you have about 10k's with of repairs and a re-paint up your sleeve. Top that out with restoring the engine bay back to good order with new parts and I think you’ll find you’ll blink and 15k+ will have gone on repairs.

Then there is the engine and mods side of things (exhaust / wheels / brakes / suspension) and there is another 10k.

You can actually see where the money goes and why the 38-48k M3 exist.

So many people just see them and impulse comment without any facts at all about what’s truly involved in owning one, and im not wanking on about history or rarity of the car. I’m talking about basic car buying and maintenance. The reality is its not a Honda. There aren't spare parts floating around NZ in abundance. You have to buy everything new from BMW. Another reality is that these new parts are about the same costs as e46 m3 parts (yes the bumpers cost near on 2 grand each) (you get the picture from there). This is where the costs come from. Anything else people waffle on about is just trade me dreaming syndrome.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh but time for someone to bloody say it! :)

Great Finally we are getting to the core of E30 M3 Prices Im Glad somebody agrees with me!

Thats the start price not the reserve man

Edited by Brams

Ollie the E30 M3 needs touching ha. For the sake of this thread I paid $50k for the white car and have been offered $75k for it plus a guy with an open cheque book had a crack. The cost to build a car to this standard would exceed $100k I think it's been a great investment

Asking Price is 22K so obviously its negotiable, So Real market value where looking at 18 on the spot Cash and I have been quoted around 350 dollars to import to NZ via shipping.

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

Reason I ask is that I can defiantly see that the appeal of these cars is far greater for someone who actually remember them dominating the race seen in there hay day.

They are a relative bargain if you start comparing them to Ausi mussel like the VL Group A Walkinshaw or the XY Falcon GT-HO.

If you want to compare an M3 with Aussie Muscle watch the video of Jim Richards in the M3 and Peter Brock in the Commodore - classic racing! Then tell me which is the better car.. :D

As for values, Commodores are pretty much unknown outside Aussie and NZ, the M3 (especially the E30) is an Icon all around the world. Bigger market = more demand = higher prices.

End of.

If you want to compare an M3 with Aussie Muscle watch the video of Jim Richards in the M3 and Peter Brock in the Commodore - classic racing! Then tell me which is the better car.. :D

As for values, Commodores are pretty much unknown outside Aussie and NZ, the M3 (especially the E30) is an Icon all around the world. Bigger market = more demand = higher prices.

End of.

So you are agreeing with me then :huh:

I was saying they are a comparative bargain. Have you looked at the price of a Group A Walkinshaw of Falcon GT-HO Phase III

lately..

And I am totally aware of the racing history, they could even stay with the R32 Nissan Skyline GTR and Sierra RS500 Cosworth on a tight circuit.

Does that prove much? Isn't the right M3 to compare to the Sport Evo, rather than the "run of the mill" (jokes) M3?

Coz they're (rightly) more expensive than a standard one, based on performance, rarity and general awesomeness.

Ollie the E30 M3 needs touching ha. For the sake of this thread I paid $50k for the white car and have been offered $75k for it plus a guy with an open cheque book had a crack. The cost to build a car to this standard would exceed $100k I think it's been a great investment

Might have been good for you but not for the guy who restored it Ha!

I wanna touch it too.

might have to make a weekend of 'touching it' ... road trip in order.

rjac001.

Some people on here have very valid points.

Im sorry to say yours is not one.

Sometimes it is best to walk away from a losing battle.

Cheers

Chris

rjac001.

Some people on here have very valid points.

Im sorry to say yours is not one.

Sometimes it is best to walk away from a losing battle.

Cheers

Chris

Wow you just jump in at this point in the thread and get personal

make a valid contribution or don't bother

Please explain how my points are not Valid?

Please explain how my points are not Valid?

Because you make unjustified posts with no prior knowledge on the subject.

Because you make unjustified posts with no prior knowledge on the subject.

Hay I started this topic lets talk about BMWs E30 M3 Please

and im not interested in your blaber bla babababbbabbla la

What a shock. Yet another heated discussion about the price (values) of E30 M3s. I can't really understand what all the fuss is about given that values are what they are. Like it or not they are sort after and as such prices have risen. I say this having done a lot of reseach and knowing what's on the market and what it costs to put these cars right after years (now 20 in some cases) of use. That said one thing is for sure, if it's cheap it's crap and will cost you a lot of money.

If you have no intention of buying one of these cars then why would you care what other people are asking for their cars? rjac001 educated comments about pricing will avoid irritating others. This is the second thread inwhich you've been told, time to try a new topic

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

Reason I ask is that I can defiantly see that the appeal of these cars is far greater for someone who actually remember them dominating the race seen in there hay day.

They are a relative bargain if you start comparing them to Ausi mussel like the VL Group A Walkinshaw or the XY Falcon GT-HO.

If it was a choice between an E30 M3 and a Brock Commodore (I still love the VK - even though I think it was probably before the M3 was raced in Aus), I would really be torn. You are dead right Graham - good australian muscle cars are a premium on top of M3 prices.

If it was a choice between an E30 M3 and a Brock Commodore (I still love the VK - even though I think it was probably before the M3 was raced in Aus), I would really be torn. You are dead right Graham - good australian muscle cars are a premium on top of M3 prices.

Im sure the VK Group A SS “Brocky†went up against the M3 in 87…

I would take a M3 over any Ausi muscle for the simple fact that the M3 was actually a sensational drive on the road and the Commodores and Falcons weren’t.

Im sure the VK Group A SS “Brocky†went up against the M3 in 87…

I would take a M3 over any Ausi muscle for the simple fact that the M3 was actually a sensational drive on the road and the Commodores and Falcons weren’t.

I thought that was the first of the VL Batmobiles in 87 but could be wrong. My memory isn't what it used to be....

Really nice VK on ebay for $88k AUD.

So you are agreeing with me then :huh:

I was saying they are a comparative bargain. Have you looked at the price of a Group A Walkinshaw of Falcon GT-HO Phase III

lately..

And I am totally aware of the racing history, they could even stay with the R32 Nissan Skyline GTR and Sierra RS500 Cosworth on a tight circuit.

Oops, yes, I think I am agreeing and trying to point out to others the error of their ways.

The price of some of these Aussie muscle cars astounds me, basically due to what else you could buy for the same price - nearly AU$1 million for a XY GTHO Phase III (with NO race history), you are into some serious kit.

Personally I think the Aussie stuff has peaked, due to the buoyant economy meaning there are lots of guys who have now made some big bucks in business who want to buy up their dream cars - namely GTHOs, Monaros, etc. which exist in very low numbers, even for the road versions.

I cannot see this being repeated in the future and the global interest and world market for an E30 M3 will only push the market higher over time, especially for cars with race history, etc. If only I can find one...

Then I will be torn between putting it on the track or keeping it original..

Oops, yes, I think I am agreeing and trying to point out to others the error of their ways.

The price of some of these Aussie muscle cars astounds me, basically due to what else you could buy for the same price - nearly AU$1 million for a XY GTHO Phase III (with NO race history), you are into some serious kit.

Personally I think the Aussie stuff has peaked, due to the buoyant economy meaning there are lots of guys who have now made some big bucks in business who want to buy up their dream cars - namely GTHOs, Monaros, etc. which exist in very low numbers, even for the road versions.

I cannot see this being repeated in the future and the global interest and world market for an E30 M3 will only push the market higher over time, especially for cars with race history, etc. If only I can find one...

Then I will be torn between putting it on the track or keeping it original..

The fact Homologation no longer exists in touring/rally cars helps also..

I think most people into there Bimmers, old or young love the idea of an e30 m3, and have respect for it's real guts as a track car but usable on the road. As somone stated, one is worth what one pays for it (whether some people would like to think its worth more than it is and see some intrinsic value doesn't matter, if a buyer is prepared to pay what a seller wants, that value is its market value). As for cars increasing in value, No. Cars are not investements, any investor will tell you this. Full Stop. A general rule suggests a car must be 1/100 or less evermade for it to be worth more than its original value at any point, Every now and then you here of some 1/17 ever made Bugatti or similar being picked up for a large price as recently. The one thing many people forget when looking at a car as an investement is maintenance costs (this must be included when looking at an investement- and with old cars this is HIGH). M3's are rear, but there are thousands and thousands of them. Look at even older bimmers like the CSI's (rear), worth a good price considering there age and costs but there not exactly expensive, I doubt anyone selling one is making money (espicially after looking at how much they spent on it over the time they have owned it). E30 m3's are awsome, and they fetch a fairly high price showing they are somewhat a collectors item, but there not impossible to find (a few up for graps on trademe atm), and are still decreasing in value. Not to naysay but very very very few cars can be considered an investement, buy one cos you love them, not because you think it may go up in value.

Probably been brought up before but what was the new price for an E30 M3 back in the day? Also, anyone know how many NZ New ones are out there?