Sign in to follow this  
Graham m5

General warning

Good evening all

Just a bit of a strange one happened today. As many of you know my car is for sale on trademe and a person asked two questions, one about the car and one to have a look. Not a problem i am open to all viewers. But !! they asked for my full address, but i only gave them my phone number as i dont want to put my address on trademe, but they never called. Speaking to my friend who is a policeman i told him the story and he tells me that people do this to find ot where the car is then turn up when you are out and borrow it !! There have been a few instances of this in my area so just be carefull if you are selling your cars.I am not saying this is the case for this buyer but it is worth knowing what is happening within N.Z with regards to missing cars

Good evening all

Just a bit of a strange one happened today. As many of you know my car is for sale on trademe and a person asked two questions, one about the car and one to have a look. Not a problem i am open to all viewers. But !! they asked for my full address, but i only gave them my phone number as i dont want to put my address on trademe, but they never called. Speaking to my friend who is a policeman i told him the story and he tells me that people do this to find ot where the car is then turn up when you are out and borrow it !! There have been a few instances of this in my area so just be carefull if you are selling your cars.I am not saying this is the case for this buyer but it is worth knowing what is happening within N.Z with regards to missing cars

Or they could go to the post office with your rego number, pay $2 and find out your address.

My cars are registered to an address different to where they are located for this reason.

Or they could go to the post office with your rego number, pay $2 and find out your address.

My cars are registered to an address different to where they are located for this reason.

Yes mine is stored somewhere else too but you are right not to register it to your address unless you really have to

Yep, got to be real careful with selling a nice car like yours Graham.

You have to give your own details though, right?

Yep, got to be real careful with selling a nice car like yours Graham.

You have to give your own details though, right?

I don't believe so. There was some talk last year about changing this so that any Joe Bloggs couldn't just get the info but so far nothing has changed.

Yea its always a good idea to register your car to a different address just in case, I doubt many wouldnt want to steal my E36 but its nice to know if someone was keen to all they would get was my PO Box number.

But then again if someone really wants it they will get it, anyone could just follow you home if they were diehard enough.

Nothings really safe anymore, even last week my parents yacht got stolen off from its moorings and being a 34ft I cant imagine it would be too just hide away somewhere haha which the thing is that would have been stolen by someone keen enough to know how often we go on it and all that so yeah its easy enough for a thief to get something if they want it. so be cautious people.

Edited by RJS

Surely if someone wanted to steal a car badly enough, they could get the information.

You can get the info from the post shop or the likes of car jam. All you need is a credit card. A prepaid "prezzy" card would do the job too.

As for registering the car to another address - this seems to me to be rather over cautios. What happens when you get an infringement notice, don't pay it as you never see it and wind up in court?

Surely if someone wanted to steal a car badly enough, they could get the information.

You can get the info from the post shop or the likes of car jam. All you need is a credit card. A prepaid "prezzy" card would do the job too.

As for registering the car to another address - this seems to me to be rather over cautios. What happens when you get an infringement notice, don't pay it as you never see it and wind up in court?

Im guessing people would register it to a address they also have but where the car doesnt live, like a work address or a holiday house etc So they can still get infringment notices and all that stuff. I think it is a bit overly cautious but better safe than sorry right?

Edited by RJS

I had some dodgey eastern europeans come around to my house the other night to check out my sisters piece of crap Cynos. They quickly directed their attention to my E30's trying to make bullshit offers on them and checking them over. Until I told them to F off. Then tried to offer me $1500 for the Cynos after saying he would pay $2500 over the phone. Already has a bidder of $1800 on the Auction. This guy was just pure dodgey.

Im guessing people would register it to a address they also have but where the car doesnt live, like a work address or a holiday house etc So they can still get infringment notices and all that stuff. I think it is a bit overly cautious but better safe than sorry right?

PO box Woop woop

I think i might change my address to mom and dad's P.O. Box on my all cars once i get the racecar on the road...

perhaps a very good reason to make sure the plate is blanked out on TM

When selling a car, i try to choose a neutral location, like my office car park so that they don't know where i live. Honestly, i don't want strangers knowing where i live if they don't really have to.

When selling a car, i try to choose a neutral location, like my office car park so that they don't know where i live. Honestly, i don't want strangers knowing where i live if they don't really have to.

It's easy enough to find this out after they meet you somewhere, once they've done that they have the plate, possbily alarm model and anything else they need. There's no real way to do it safely cause they'll need that info at some stage, just depends how far they want to go to get it. I guess it keeps the window shoppers out tho.

Best place to meet would be somewhere like a gas station where they have lots of cameras, that way you can at least get the car they travel in (hopefully) or at least them on camera.

perhaps a very good reason to make sure the plate is blanked out on TM

That's more pain than the gain.

Wouldn't you rather have mail sent to a PO Box that gets checked daily anyway, and your car be addressed to a family member like all others?

I for one will not even bother checking out a car until I have done a background check with the likes of carjam, and if the seller isn't willing to give me their plate they may just lose a sale!

It's easy enough to find this out after they meet you somewhere, once they've done that they have the plate, possbily alarm model and anything else they need. There's no real way to do it safely cause they'll need that info at some stage, just depends how far they want to go to get it. I guess it keeps the window shoppers out tho.

Best place to meet would be somewhere like a gas station where they have lots of cameras, that way you can at least get the car they travel in (hopefully) or at least them on camera.

Yeah I try to make sure that they need a car to travel to where we meet, so I know which car they came in. Note down rego etc.

Do you guys ride with the test drivers when they come to view/test?

Do you guys ride with the test drivers when they come to view/test?

I wouldn't let someone I dont know drive my car without me in it.. Would you..?

lol when selling my grandpas car(worth 2k), i just got them to give me the keys to their car if it was worth heaps :)

I had some dodgey eastern europeans come around to my house the other night to check out my sisters piece of crap Cynos. They quickly directed their attention to my E30's trying to make bullshit offers on them and checking them over. Until I told them to F off. Then tried to offer me $1500 for the Cynos after saying he would pay $2500 over the phone. Already has a bidder of $1800 on the Auction. This guy was just pure dodgey.

I've had those before mate & your pretty much on the ball telling them to remove themselves. Were they speaking their lingo in between themselves and speaking English to you at the same time? That really winds me up.

I've had those before mate & your pretty much on the ball telling them to remove themselves. Were they speaking their lingo in between themselves and speaking English to you at the same time? That really winds me up.

haha yeah last week my mum sold her falcon, and we had all sorts of indians showing up!

All of them bring their whole family along (5+) and yell at each other in their lingo, and you hear english spread out thru their conversation, meanwhile we're standing there trying to figure out what theyre saying...

I was only there next to my mum as "back-up" unless 1 of these yelling pimp looking, gold clad indians turns nasty when she told them to F off with their offers more than 5k under market price...

spose 1 of them was looking into converting it over to a taxi or something :D haha