Sign in to follow this  
JiB

JiB wants another POS

It appears I will need to commute to places at odd hours, that don't have a frequent bus. So I'm after a daily.

I've decided I want another E30 as it's the cheapest RWD out there and I have a vague idea on how to fix things..I am kicking myself for turning down two tidy examples at ~$2,000 earlier this year. So that's my budget for a plain facelift 318i coupe in good nick. However, I will consider paying for a 318is.

What I want:

1) IT HAS TO BE MANUAL

2) IT HAS TO HAVE GOOD WORKING AIRCON

3) Full decent condition interior, none of this stripped out, lightweight y0 rubbish.

4) I'd like something completely bone stock (this is also an experiment to see if I can own a car without modifying it).

5) As for engines, I'm keen on 1.8L's - I will be spending silly amounts of time in traffic, don't need power - I need frugality! That said, I won't turn down another 2.5L. But I'm NOT interested in 320i's (unless it's a ridiculously good deal).

6) I am however, quite committed to getting a facelift because I think PFL's are ugly and I'll end up ricing it. It'd have to be dirt cheap for me to get another PFL. M10 = DO NOT WANT

7) I am in no hurry to find one. At all. In fact, the longer it takes for me to find one the better. Cars are expensive and I seem to be able to find my way to places regardless. I'm stubborn and I really don't want to pay for another car. But I will eventually have to get a daily before September.

I hope I've made everything as difficult and as complicated as possible. Thanks for reading my spiel.

P.S. If you're gonna post trademe links here, please include a coupla details, I can't access Trademe.

P.P.S. Here is my ideal daily (which it will probably become over the next 3 years or so):

-Facelift

-Coupe

-Aircon

-Ellipsoids

-Shadowlined

-MtechII steering wheel

-No sunroof

-OBC

-Crackless dash

-Tech1 rear wing

-Some sort of lip

-Basketweaves

-Cloth Recaros

-Rear seats with headrests

-Lachsilber

-Colour Coded

-E30 series suspension with associated bushes

-Small case LSD

-M42 (:P)

It's a far fetched ($$$) list. But I like dreaming.

I got a same dream as yours.

Edit Admin.: I apologise in advance for shouting, but DON'T QUOTE A POST WHEN YOU ARE REPLYING DIRECTLY UNDER IT!!!!!!. Use the "Add Reply" button, not the ""Reply" button with the QUOTE icon in front of the word reply.

Edited by bravo

You'd only be 13% less depressed with a B20, unless its turbo-ified.

Guest Simon*

Lulz, I think Simon summed it up best.

Mmmm, I should stop looking at M42Club.com:

Posted Image

"Hallo Hans. Do you like my new camera"

"Ja Gerhardt it's sehr nice. I also like what you have done vith your collar. It's preppy ja. Like un cool dude und sh*t. I like it a lot."

"Oh I feel you Hans. I zink it vould look vay better on you vith those aviators. Ja ja"

"For sure blood. Look look! I am steering vith like, un vinger!"

Haha, classic Simon.

We should do a caption competition!

Back on topic, I vote m42 :P

LOL. I didn't even notice the dudes in there till now.

I vote m42 :P

Me too. But it depends if I can find a 318is with a pricetag that I'm happy paying, especially seeing that a 318is would tick many of the boxes in my wishlist and thus give me a greater chance of not modifying it.

But there's something intrinsically wrong in my head with paying more for a 1.8 E30 than a 2.5 E30 with modification money to spare..

Jon mate, there are two 318is's on TM right now in the same listing, a red and a black one, both going for sub 7/8 each.

You know you want to :wub:

Cheers Simon for the link :)

Edited by Brams

So what you want is a 318is then.

"Hallo Hans. Do you like my new camera"

"Ja Gerhardt it's sehr nice. I also like what you have done vith your collar. It's preppy ja. Like un cool dude und sh*t. I like it a lot."

"Oh I feel you Hans. I zink it vould look vay better on you vith those aviators. Ja ja"

"For sure blood. Look look! I am steering vith like, un vinger!"

Hahahaha.

Neither are colours I like :( The red one ticks all the boxes, but I really don't want red!

One problem is, for that money there are other cars that seem like much better value for money. 8g is turbo S13/S14, DC2R, or 16v 190e :wub: at the high end! Or dare I say - well sorted 325i money!

I really like the idea of a 318is, which is more economical than the above in terms of insurance, maintenance, etc. So it's an unfair comparison, not to mention they're all thief magnets.

In the same vein, I'm not sure I'd be confident leaving a 318is parked in seedy places whilst I'd have no qualms leaving a 318i to the dogs.

Aww common they arnt that bad. You don't need torque for city driving or sitting in traffic.

I'm sorry Mike...I really just couldn't live with an M10. :wacko:

So what you want is a 318is then.

At least I think I do..I'm having second thoughts because I'm not sure what a 318is could do over a standard 318i that my current E30 can't. I'm struggling to justify the extra $$$ when I'd rather spend that $$$ for seat time in my race car..

if it's a daily and you have a budget around 2k then ignore the urge to buy a 318is because it just won't happen.

Stick to your plan, there are plenty of ok 318's out there that will serve the purpose.

if it's a daily and you have a budget around 2k then ignore the urge to buy a 318is because it just won't happen.

Stick to your plan, there are plenty of ok 318's out there that will serve the purpose.

Wise, my wallet approves.

I think the (un-wise) rationale I had with a 318is is that every car that I have has excessive budget creep and was wondering if it would actually stop me ending up with another undrivable garage queen.

I think the best solution is actually not to buy a 318is, but to find some self-control. :P

Shoo you guys, shoo... the red one's mine! :)

If you bought the red one that would make 3 red ones in Chch