Sign in to follow this  
keen

e46 auto lever knob removal

I'm just about to replace the glove around the auto selector stick but are unsure about the removal of the knob. its not the "T" one its just a knob.I thought it may just pull up like the manual one's but there is a button in the front of it so was concerned that there may be another way. any help please would be much appreciated

Just a sharp hard pull towards the sky will release it.

Thankyou Glenn.

Glenns hit the spot.

Just pull on that knob until it releases

Just a sharp hard pull towards the sky will release it.

I thought it had to be in neutral and you had to like pull the lever thing in

It takes alotta force, when I pulled mine off-lol, I ended up hitting my head on the sunroof lol.

so be carefull lol

I thought it had to be in neutral and you had to like pull the lever thing in

It takes alotta force, when I pulled mine off-lol, I ended up hitting my head on the sunroof lol.

so be carefull lol

Its just easier to pull it up in the neutral position

Ah i seeee

heres what i found on e46fanatics

From my own experience the easiest way I found to do it......open your sunroof first to give yourself headroom and sit over the centre console, put the knob in neutral and press the button in while pulling the gear knob up.

Here's the trick to it though, while pressing in the button and holding the gear knob firmly don't just pull up but rather you need to give it a quick and hard jerk upwards, this will give you more force and the knob will come out easier.

To get the new knob in just slide it into the hollow shaft protruding from the transmission and press down firmly until you feel it click in.

Man, all this talk of knobs and pulling sounds a bit suss.

Edited by jordy

Helps if you put your head directly over it too.

You get better leverage that way.

Helps if you put your front teeth directly over it too.

You get better leverage that way.

Fixed.

Keen, howed it go ... I want to see pics of your face, did you black eye yourself like the rest of us?

You guys have just about put me off doing it I'll get my wife to take it off then see how she gets on. thanks again guys its nice to have a laugh now and again don't you think?

Yea it is funey, but people are talking smack, I've pulled a few of a number of times with minimal effort- as glen said- just wank in the general direction of the sky and it'll come off. I remember when I first looked up how to do it, everyone said it was dangerous and you can hurt urself.... mayby they had glue on theres, or just women.

My Nav install tends to disagree! :P

I think it totally depends on the car, same are hard some are easy. Becareful you dont break the plastic rod inside the gear knob. Its hard to stuff up, dont twist the knob just hold and pull up and be ready for the black eye ;)

You guys have just about put me off doing it I'll get my wife to take it off then see how she gets on. thanks again guys its nice to have a laugh now and again don't you think?

Sounds like youve got a good puller at home Keen... But... you can pull it yourself.... you wont hurt yourself pulling your knob.. people just make issues about it because they are cautious of the mess they can make in there cars... its easy ... we do it all the time :P

I'm just about to replace the glove around the auto selector stick but are unsure about the removal of the knob. its not the "T" one its just a knob.I thought it may just pull up like the manual one's but there is a button in the front of it so was concerned that there may be another way. any help please would be much appreciated

1. Purchase dental insurance

2. Pull knob off :-)

Well it's completed, the job went well just as Glenn said it would. I watched the wife take it off and guided her all the way and was very careful to make sure she didn't hurt me in any way. and she also didn't hurt herself at all. Now we have a new gear cover and it looks really nice thanks to all for the help and advice this is a good forum don't you think?