Sign in to follow this  
Mark

A Detail in detail

Degreaser will get the tar easy as (/kero)

Looks good, nice colour to work with?

Unfortunately Pictures never do the effort justice.

I don't know how you do it man! Its absolutely stunning!

I tried so hard when I was doing mine, but it didn't come up as well as yours.

Great job. :)

I could see your car had been clayed or re-sprayed as soon as looking at it.

If anyone wants do a group buy on either Meguiars or Mothers after seeing these results please express genuine interest by PM. I have contacts at both brands and get it for less than wholesale, you’d be disgusted at the mark up the retailers put on the product, I can tell you it’s more than 200%. Would need a few orders to make it worthwhile for the wholesalers.

Edited by Apex

If anyone wants do a group buy on either Meguiars or Mothers after seeing these results please express genuine interest by PM. I have contacts at both brands and get it for less than wholesale, you’d be disgusted at the mark up the retailers put on the product, I can tell you it’s more than 200%. Would need a few orders to make it worthwhile for the wholesalers.

Know exactly what you mean Graham... I rock clay bars for $18

Well done mate, looks awesome!

looks mint!

wish i had time to do that

I have time to do that, for a price of course. :P

Good job Mark, looking real good!

I'm certainly keen for some wholesale action!

PM'd Graham,

I remember the days have having the time to do this....its really satisfying to stand back and take a look over it once youve finished.

I did the front of the touring not so long ago, just everything forward of the windscreen. That took me from 10am until 3pm. Finished it two minutes before one of the most potent thunderstorms Ive ever seen in NZ.

The hail was the size of golf balls and I wondered why Id bothered the next day, it was covered in all the leaves from the trees at our place !

Yea Graham. It did make a difference, especially on the roof. But on the bonnet I don't think I did it right cause its no where near as good as the roof.

Martyn, it took me a whole day to do the clay bar. I did the whole car tho. I don't know how you do it so fast Mark! But it looks stunning.

Hmmm, I'm not sure either. When I did the E28 it took a whole day just for clay. I imagine it was just the fact I was working on a a smaller car this time around. Plus, it was a cool day so I could work fast without getting too tired.

Gonna keep waxing each weekend to build up a real mo-fo of a shine. Should look sweet.

Definitely the size of the car helps. The first time I washed the e30 after ten years of doing a 750il and 740 I was amazed how quick it was.

Just being able to do the entire roof from one side of the car was a bonus !!

Yesterday and today were two more great days for doing car stuff. Cleaned the wheels of brake dust, but they're gonna have to be removed from the car for a proper refurbishment at some point. No pics, because they're embarassing up close.

Detailed the interior:

Posted Image

And found a little surprise in the glovebox. Sweet.

Posted Image

And my first DIY mod.... black kidney grilles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very easy to do and looks better than I thought. I can post up a walkthrough if anyone wants me to. 

Interior looks sweet Mark, my BMW torch didn't come with the car :(

Black grills look good. Smoked indicators and black Euro plate? B)

How's the rechargeable battery in the torch, does it still work?

Rear bumper is re-aligned now, took it off and found our little friend rust eating the bumper from from the inside out. Had started on the bumper mounts too, so wirebrushed and sanded as much off as possible before covering with rust converter and fish oil for protection. Will do the front too when I eventually get around to repainting them

UPDATE: Took these pics the weekend before the the Chch meet. Found some cool spots behind Tower Junction and near the railway station. I really want to get an SLR, but all available funds are going towards the car at the moment!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looking good, wish i could've made the meet.

When are you going to get some 3" lips :P

Very easy to do and looks better than I thought. I can post up a walkthrough if anyone wants me to. 

Could you please post up the walkthrough?? cheers

No worries.... slow day at work :D

BLACK KIDNEY GRILLE DIY

STEP 1:

Remove kidney grilles from car. Pull off the two metal clasps at the top, tilt grille forward and lift off.

STEP 2:

Separate slats from chrome outers by using a flat head screwdriver to prise the clips off. This is a PITA and I broke one of my clips because I got impatient.

Posted Image

Then, take your grilles into the laundry tub and wash thoroughly with warm soapy water.

STEP 3:

Gather your materials. You will need: 600 or 800 grit sandpaper, a can of plastic adhesion promoter (primer for plastic) a can of matte black acrylic paint, wax and grease remover, a clean rag, cold beer of your choice.

Posted Image

STEP 4:

Start sanding. Keep going until the grille has an over-all hazy appearance. Then, spray Wax and Grease remover onto the clean rag (mine is clean I promise :rolleyes: ) and wipe the grille clean of sanding dust and dirt etc.

Posted Image

STEP 5:

Shake the hell out of your can of plastic primer. Apply 2 or three light coats, waiting a few minutes between each coat. Make sure you get good coverage on the all those hard to get places, especially the inside of the grilles.

STEP 6:

Let the primer dry for an hour. Then shake the hell out of your can of matte black paint and start painting. Once again, obey the golden rule of applying many light coats. The more the better. I did about 5 coats, leaving 1/2 an hour between each coat.

Posted Image

Let the paint dry overnight before clipping the slats back in and reinstalling the grille on the car.

Posted Image

Minta!

Shut ya face. I challenge you to taste the difference between Oranjeboom and Heineken in a blind taste test. You will fail I guarantee! :D

Guest Simon*

It's ok mate am only teasing. I drink Haagen a lot of the time and think it's fine.

I worked with a South African a while back and he was so excited when they brought Oranjeboom out here - he always used to love it at home, in fact it was his password on our network and everything :) ="The Orange Tree"

Looks really good with the black grill...

I've just done all the arch trim (again) on the 205 and the back slam panel...

Not to discount what you have done but it might be easier.

Wet (warm water and a little dishwashing liquid) sand the parts with 600grit sandpaper (make sure it is really wet and always wet), rinse, let it dry, rub with meth's to remove wax,dishwashing liquid,etc , then use the K&H bumper satin black spray paint. It's got a plastic primer built into it.

Best bit... dries in 5 minutes... Looks stunning also... If you saw the pug at the ann. driveday the bumpers and exterior trim had been done the night before...

Edited by DRTDVL