Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

First Decent Fright In The E30

Long sweeping on ramp onto the motor way, doing about 50k in 3rd gear (shouldve really been in 4th) , foot down gently to speed up to 100 on the wet raining road, 180'd it, luckyily no cars behind me, and stopped about 10m from a guard rail which would have made a mess of the back of the car. Drove it into the grass inside the corner and broke the front lip <_<

Gave me a decent fright, must be time to sort that wheel alignment and some decent tyres :mellow: and new PFL lip $ keerching.

Moral of the story is, be careful in the rain :ph34r:

Edited by Forrest

Long sweeping on ramp onto the motor way, doing about 50k in 3rd gear (shouldve really been in 4th) , foot down gently to speed up to 100 on the wet raining road, 180'd it, luckyily no cars behind me, and stopped about 10m from a guard rail which would have made a mess of the back of the car. Drove it into the grass inside the corner and broke the front lip <_<

Gave me a decent fright, must be time to sort that wheel alignment and some decent tyres :mellow: and new PFL lip $ keerching.

Moral of the story is, be careful in the rain :ph34r:

woo hoo nathan,

gonna be plenty of that at manfield :rolleyes:

good to hear that ya alright, and car isn't too bad

On ya man!

Good to hear no serious damage.

Shite, lucky you didnt hit a rail!

Which ramp?

Cheers everyone, couldve been alot messier, um the one if your leaving tawa jumping back on the motorway to go towards johnsonville/wellington

Wooohooo hang in there!

Deep down i know you really wana be a drifter!

Grip racing ain't as fun haha :ph34r:

ps: lip off my parts car?...Deal

Wooohooo hang in there!

Deep down i know you really wana be a drifter!

Grip racing ain't as fun haha :ph34r:

ps: lip off my parts car?...Deal

Yeap I will take it

Cheers everyone, couldve been alot messier, um the one if your leaving tawa jumping back on the motorway to go towards johnsonville/wellington

ahhh, the old 270 deg sweeper?

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&sour....85714285714285

Dont pin it till youre on the straight for that one :)

^ haha yeah its such a sweet corner, in our ST Focus I can hammer it atleast halfway round and it just sticks, having not driven the e30 for 8 months Ive forgotten you actually have to 'drive' it haha

"drive to the conditions when they change reduce your speed"

Ive had one very interesting moment in my e30 (v8ted) in the hills at speed coming down an off camber left hander with 45% throttle the ass came right out on me, only just caught it, scared me shitless lol. Good old e30s aye :)

^ Hahaha you sir have a reason to be scared my cars worth probably less than $5000, your car = $XX,XXX

Edited by Forrest

Same thing happened to me last night!

So i have never owned a RWD , i was driving casually around Papakura , then coming out of Kelvin road on to settlement *some may know where that is* i took the corner like usual then put my foot down a little bit as i was finishing of the turn...back end slipped out just about hit the curb...not sure how the heck i corrected! lol

so note to self *RWD does not handle in the wet like a 4wd lol * ive been driving like a nana everywhere today!

Lucky you didnt get injured or cause worse damage to your car :S but yes RWD plus wet = slippery :P

Yes... one area where the subaru is waaay more fun than the BMW, cos its just nuts how that thing sticks lol

Good on u for finally getting it proper sideways nathan :P

so note to self *RWD does not handle in the wet like a 4wd lol * ive been driving like a nana everywhere today!

Lucky you didnt get injured or cause worse damage to your car :S but yes RWD plus wet = slippery :P

This is such a misconception - most people who have a problem have:

- crap tyres

- excessive lowering causing excessive camber causing a reduced contact patch on the road.

I can give my car a bootful in 2nd gear in the wet and its reluctant to let go, and I've got 300hp. It'll slide, but only if you really provoke it.

Evo = extrememly low...extreme Camber....go most high speeds around a corner and it sticks to the road.

BMW = i dont believe the tires are crap , low maybe but the evo is low too? so i doubt lowness is a factor cause then shouldnt that effect my evo in the wet as well? because its a RWD it handles different. and they are more prone to slipping.

maybe im wrong but i do believe because its a rwd it slipt.

This is such a misconception - most people who have a problem have:

- crap tyres

- excessive lowering causing excessive camber causing a reduced contact patch on the road.

I can give my car a bootful in 2nd gear in the wet and its reluctant to let go, and I've got 300hp. It'll slide, but only if you really provoke it.

LSD or Open diff?

Lowness doesn't have that much to do with it, more the stiffness of the suspension, rebound etc etc. Her springs arn't hard, they're fairly soft...not bouncy as such.

It it was stiff then yes thats what would of caused the loss of traction.

Conditions of the road, whats on the surface, way the roads cambering all come into play in situations like this.

Evo = extrememly low...extreme Camber....go most high speeds around a corner and it sticks to the road.

BMW = i dont believe the tires are crap , low maybe but the evo is low too? so i doubt lowness is a factor cause then shouldnt that effect my evo in the wet as well? because its a RWD it handles different. and they are more prone to slipping.

maybe im wrong but i do believe because its a rwd it slipt.

I would say you're right, especially on that road... it was a bit of an issue on my stock e30 with mint tyres and standard height... back when i had it stock (for like 2 weeks lol)

LSD or Open diff?

Lowness doesn't have that much to do with it, more the stiffness of the suspension, rebound etc etc. Her springs arn't hard, they're fairly soft...not bouncy as such.

It it was stiff then yes thats what would of caused the loss of traction.

Conditions of the road, whats on the surface, way the roads cambering all come into play in situations like this.

M3s are LSD, it's called too fast for the corner in bad conditions!