Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

First Decent Fright In The E30

The corner she stopped on has a Stop sign...0 - approx 20 ks by the time she would of lost traction.

Or are you talking about your experience?

I drive wary as in that car as i dont want to break anything :P and now im extra careful! better safe then sorry! ^_^

holy wtf ... wellington has motorway? omfg - that was a close one.

You need to get out of Inglewood!

wow Nathan your so lucky not too of written off the car, ive the done a similar thing coming off the motorway, went from 5th to 2nd at about 110km/h in the went, car didn't really like it and went completely sideways the somehow it just corrected itself :) good cause there was concrete barriers either side of me ^_^

you will find the R888's are amazing compared to standard tires, well atleast that's what ive found

pft, lonely track, 130kmh, 3rd gear...harden up

This is such a misconception - most people who have a problem have:

- crap tyres

- excessive lowering causing excessive camber causing a reduced contact patch on the road.

I can give my car a bootful in 2nd gear in the wet and its reluctant to let go, and I've got 300hp. It'll slide, but only if you really provoke it.

your points make sense, although... Ive got decent tyres on the cossie and still find it VERY hard to get traction in the wet in any gear.. Thats 385hp.. Does E36 have ASC/TCS? probably why you are having to 'provoke' it :)

P.S... Might have more torque than the M3 though ;)

Evo = extrememly low...extreme Camber....go most high speeds around a corner and it sticks to the road.

BMW = i dont believe the tires are crap , low maybe but the evo is low too? so i doubt lowness is a factor cause then shouldnt that effect my evo in the wet as well? because its a RWD it handles different. and they are more prone to slipping.

maybe im wrong but i do believe because its a rwd it slipt.

4WD = safe

RWD = pwnage... unless you are used to it...

Come on Livi sell the EVO and get a Real EVO.... M3 that is :)

Edited by ED1RTY

The e30 can be twitchy in the wet - especially if the road is greasy! :ph34r:

your points make sense, although... Ive got decent tyres on the cossie and still find it VERY hard to get traction in the wet in any gear.. Thats 385hp.. Does E36 have ASC/TCS? probably why you are having to 'provoke' it :)

P.S... Might have more torque than the M3 though ;)

4WD = safe

RWD = pwnage... unless you are used to it...

Come on Livi sell the EVO and get a Real EVO.... M3 that is :)

Yes but remember that's not real power though, no the E36s don't have ASC (M3 that is)

Yes but remember that's not real power though, no the E36s don't have ASC (M3 that is)

rofl...

not even the Evo's?

Would have thought if the e34 540iS had it the E36 M3 EVO would have

I like only having ABS :)

no comprende, nah i fixed the shifter now, 3rd and 5th used to be a lucky dip same with 4th and 2nd, makes for a new dimension of driving i guess

Yeah those E30's have a heavy ass for sure, I remember doing the accidental drift in my 318 in one of the roundabouts in town (Bank St) the night I got mine.

Good to hear it didn't end in tears :)

More like light ass lol... not enough weight in the back to keep it in its place

Ha that corner is very temtping I'm glad your all good Nate.

I remember a real good one the day I got my car on the rimutakas in the wet, wasn't me driving though. I'm yet to have the arse out in my car.....

rofl...

not even the Evo's?

Would have thought if the e34 540iS had it the E36 M3 EVO would have

I like only having ABS :)

So do I!

I believe the 323i and 328i had ASC, but they didn't put it on the M3, presumably because its a downgrade ;)

The M3 would happily spin the tyre in 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the wet if it was over 4,000rpm (1st earlier). It's not a turbo, so the power doesn't come in a huge rush at 3500rpm. In fact its a bit unusual - not like any other car I've driven - in that the power increase feels really linear from 3000-7500rpm. Its pretty soft below 3,000rpm though.

Plus its got 245s on the back, and has standard (firm) suspension, and the longest accelerator pedal travel known to man. You have to be trying to get the tail out - it won't happen by accident.

The 2002 on the other hand, with track suspension, a little too much rear camber, an aggressive LSD and a torquey 2 litre was diabolical on cold old race tyres in the wet. But you'd expect that...

Edited by CamB

Bloody lucky on that corner that you didn't have lotsa trucks flying around at the time. Lots of market garden warehouses and a trucking company up the road off that intersection. I work up there.

^ Yeah up in Grenada is always busy, when I was waiting to get back on the road there were heaps of cars and trucks going by, was very lucky not to have ended up a lot worse

This is such a misconception - most people who have a problem have:

- crap tyres

- excessive lowering causing excessive camber causing a reduced contact patch on the road.

I have both of these as well as an LSD and short gearing. The car has given me a couple of little wake-ups but none moreso than on a wet Trig road out west.

Trig is a bit of an anomoly in that its a 100kmh road more of less in the suburbs. I've driven it a million times and feel I'm reasonably familiar with it. On this occasion the road was damp rather than wet. I was following an Altezza that appeared to be trying reasonably hard. Because I'm a bit of a d*ck I decided to 'keep up' with him, remind him who the RWD daddies are.

There's not that many corners on Trig but they're all good and in all honesty, probably shouldn't really be driven hard (it's quite a busy road). The third corner, as you go uphill, is a gentle sweeping right, easily negotiated at 100 in 4th on a steady throttle.

The road was damp so I was showing a little caution and would have been doing about 70 when I turned in.

Instantly, the rear let go. I had wound bugger all steering angle in, I wasn't going that fast, I wasn't accelerating and the thing just... gave up.

I shat myself. I remember thinking, 'I'm F@#ked' and that was the sum total of my contribution to getting us (the car and I) out of this situation. I took no corrective action, I don't think I even thought to get out of the throttle.

Perhaps realising that I was not going to be any help, the car pointed its nose at the apex and drifted serenely, perfectly, across it and into line and continued on down the road like it wasn't even a thing. We didn't even leave my lane.

It must have looked lovely because an old guy in a Toyota Echo... echo, who was coming the other way gave me a huge smile and the big thumbs up. I was too shocked to even pretend that I knew what had just happened. I just continued sedately to my destination and cleaned the upholstery at the first opportunity I got.

Still a lot to learn about driving this car.

So yeah... RWD in the wet... Gotta watch that.

An e21? They are supposed to be the worst...

My point is that the problem isn't "RWD = dodgy in the wet". It's car and/or driver specific. In particular, I think an e36 (which actually has semi-sophisticated rear suspension) needs to either be provoked or have been compromised to want to slide around in the wet.

JiB's car's a shocker too --> 600lb rear springs in an E30 with average tyres and an LSD is pretty twitchy.

I've certainly noticed that the E30 will poke the rear out with far less provocation than the E36 used to. And in the the '36 controlling oversteer was far easier.... the '30 snaps, gotta watch it (and also gotta improve my driving skills, any BMW club driver training days coming up??)

...The road was damp so I was showing a little caution and would have been doing about 70 when I turned in.

Instantly, the rear let go. I had wound bugger all steering angle in, I wasn't going that fast, I wasn't accelerating and the thing just... gave up.

I shat myself. I remember thinking, 'I'm F@#ked' and that was the sum total of my contribution to getting us (the car and I) out of this situation. I took no corrective action, I don't think I even thought to get out of the throttle.

I just reread this - the reason it all worked out is that you didn't lift. If you'd got off the throttle you would have most likely turned around... probably fairly quickly.

I think shocks should also be on the list of things that may increase the chances of "oh sh*t" moments.

Before I went to coilovers, my car let go on a busy on-ramp without provocation, my lack of experience meant that I over-corrected into a tank-slapper and I very very narrowly missed disappearing under the wheels of the semi-trailer next to me.

I had a setup that flew through WOF's (from previous owner):

Fully treaded snow tyres

Lowered with Jamex super-lows - no camber correction

Bilsteins which were rooted.

So it just goes to show that cheaping out on any of these is not a good idea.

With my current setup, yes the tail does hang out, but at least it's meant to be twitchy (silly spring rates), and it's easy to predict.

In a way I'm glad I spun this makes interesting reading :ph34r:

Better than the usual 'cops' threads

when you have a petrol leak onto the rear tires drifting is so easy, you can hold the tail out at 30k :) dosent amke any noise either.

In a way I'm glad I spun this makes interesting reading :ph34r:

Better than the usual 'cops' threads

Lol, don't you worry, once you have R888's the handling will be five different flavours of awesome.