Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Have a moan about your old car thread.

Thought id start a have a moan im having a “bad old car day†thread. :P

Having a hate my old piece of sh*t E30 day… seems the more I do the worse it gets.

Power steering fluid leaking everywhere, even though it was “fixed†a short time ago, bad noises coming from the front suspension even though I have done bushes, top hats and what not.. Engine sounds like crap and is emphasized by the fact my crap extractors are leaking again.. rear bumper stuffed and the car is pulling hard to the left after it being towed for being parked in a tow away zone..

A new Beemer is looking good today.

BUgger man thats no good...

I've seen towies just latch onto control arms to pull cars up onto the flatbed before...

Hopefully it's nothing major to get back up and going...

Just think both me and George are in a much worse place than you, and his car is new, well newish... soon to be new....

Ohh, which one to choose from? Haha.

My first Legacy GT, which was my first car, was bought off a dodgy Indian guy who lied through his teeth about the car. It was given a dodgy wof, and when I took it to get a legitimate wof, the "to do" list went on for the entire page! Major parts too.. ball joints, suspension arms etc. Not something that can be attributed to my 3 months of easy driving. So a lot of cursing later, everything was was fitted and I got a new wof for it. After that it was a wonderful car, and I experienced the events that can only happen with your first car. Instead of it leaving a sour taste in my mouth, I bought another Legacy GT 3 cars later!

Only real problems had with other cars was ANOTHER Indian guy getting a dodgy wof for my old integra, as it had no working horn and a couple of other things. Anything for a sale hey?

I had an old 88 Ford laser last year (before it was stolen), what a great car that was :)

BUgger man thats no good...

I've seen towies just latch onto control arms to pull cars up onto the flatbed before...

Hopefully it's nothing major to get back up and going...

Just think both me and George are in a much worse place than you, and his car is new, well newish... soon to be new....

I thought Georges car was old, would be late nineties wouldn’t it. You guys chose to own unreliable compromised cars with the pay off of performance when all is good.

Thinking about taking a few bits and bobs off my old girl and passing her on, the novelty is fading fast. Cut my losses and move on :unsure:

Thinking about taking a few bits and bobs off my old girl and passing her on, the novelty is fading fast. Cut my losses and move on :unsure:

Don't do it! I think we all feel that way about our cars at some point. I know I have.... but you'll regret it if you sell.I can guarantee that if you sell you'll be back posting here in 6 months saying "I miss my old E30, anyone got a good one for sale?" :D

Thought id start a have a moan im having a “bad old car day†thread. :P

Having a hate my old piece of sh*t E30 day… seems the more I do the worse it gets.

Power steering fluid leaking everywhere, even though it was “fixed†a short time ago, bad noises coming from the front suspension even though I have done bushes, top hats and what not.. Engine sounds like crap and is emphasized by the fact my crap extractors are leaking again.. rear bumper stuffed and the car is pulling hard to the left after it being towed for being parked in a tow away zone..

A new Beemer is looking good today.

Graham, to me this means a great car day is to be had :D

Power steering fluid leak - generally easy fix, I bet its just a hose thats come loose since the b25 went in.

Bad noise - you've got nolathane bushes, dont they always clonk and make more noise than stock?

All m20's sound like crap :P

Stick some exhaust glue in the leaks and problemo solved.

Rear bumper and tow away zone can be generally annoying. But hey, I had to work this easter fri, sat and sunday :P

p.s

E30's for the win.

p.p.s

Happy easter!

Edited by QuickSilver

Well, I swapped a tidy E38 for an E30 which was pretty illegal and I now have to invest ALOT of money in to get road legal.

LOLCARZ

I thought Georges car was old, would be late nineties wouldn’t it. You guys chose to own unreliable compromised cars with the pay off of performance when all is good.

I think georges is a 1999 or 2001.

The 205 is an 88 - but ya. It's f**ked! Brakes, trans, tires, all need to be replaced. That's before I start looking into mounts, bushes, electrics, dyno'd, + lots others. Spent 23,000 roughly so far and no where near being road ready! But look at it this way - you will have an amazing car at the end of it...

You don't buy an old car because it's going to be economical to run or maintain. You have 20 years of wear and tear on the car. But once it's all done it will be mint and will be something to take massive pride in.

I've come close to selling the pug (205) about 4 times now because it's been heartbreaking and a pain in the ass (and wallet) - done massive work then major problem,then fix that do more work then major problem again - repeat cycle. Espically when I was offered the kiwi 2 racecar in mint actual running condition with lots of expensive spares for not much more than i paid for the pug - i  had 4 offers for the 205 within 3 hours of saying I was considering selling it. It made me realise it's worth keeping...

You have a mint e30 - in awzome stock looking condition it's not (no offence to others) on aftermarket massive or out of period mags, lowered to an inch of it's life - like so many others out there. It's damn nice - keep it - put the effort in and it's going to be and maintain to be a stunner.

This is coming from the man who's car will spend the next most likely 6 month no being used because it's broken

Edit: Iphones suck to type with... stupid predictive crappy thing (see even new sh*t causes problems)

Edited by DRTDVL

My e30 hasn't been going for 14 months. And when I get it back this week I still have to deal with all the problems you talk of.

It's all in E30 ownership, if your over it as you say, sell it and buy something newer.

That Sucks man.. I could go on about the towies but yeh...

probably the thing to worry about would be the steering get it checked asap hopefully just an alignment will sort it out, worst case it could need new steering rack, which would fix the power steering leak too! and while you are getting it looked at you can loosen off the extractors and reseal them with exhaust cement (fixing the "crap" sound) all in all your only looking at max 350 for a decent (second hand) steering rack fitted the rest you can do by your self... but i'm just assuming the worst here, 50 dollar allignment and Hopefully sweet

Ever owned a Triumph Toledo.That's not a bad car day-thats a whole life experience!!!!

Good to hear we all have moments.

Started a thread as a place for anyone to have a bitch about how your old car is annoying you and costing a fortune to maintain.

Great feed back and reassurance to keep her will only come from fellow enthusiasts so its good to have a place to moan.

I keep finding new things that need to be done before my cert :( And they're all hard.

....AND! My car is lowered on out of period mags :(

/whinge

I can smell exhaust fumes when I drive.

They make me sleepy..

On the upside.

Manji Mania drifting tomorrow.. Wohoo! riding shotgun.

My e30 has just ticked over 300000 kaylometrez and is going so so well.. A bit of smoke on start up but it drives straight (when I allow it to) and feels so good when actually driven.

Buuuut.. needs every bushing replaced, and new shocks, springs and bigger brakes, and a S50.

Well the only part of my E30 that's not been removed fixed replaced or adjusted is the engine block.

Oh and the carpet, the carpets never been removed either :huh:

At the moment I have 3 vehicles to choose from, both are probably as fast and more economical than the e30

But i always choose the E30....

you wont actually feel bad untill you add up your folder of receipts.

Trust me don't go there......

having owned 3 e30's now,all of which have done 300k i have to moan about rust in the front windscreen sil, zzzzzzzz

Put the E30 in the garage last night,

As I was leaving the garage it decided to empty its radiator all over the floor.

Arrghh.

My stupid clutch is playing up, for a start it weights a tonne (think 911 turbo clutch then x10) the slave cylinder burst when i was in town a few weeks ago and the clutch fork got stuck in the gearbox, so im dropping the box now to find the problem. Hopefully we can get it lightend up as well.

In saying that theres no other car under 30k that i would have over mine though

Put the E30 in the garage last night,

As I was leaving the garage it decided to empty its radiator all over the floor.

Arrghh.

I feel for ya. Been there. 4 times, all the holes in different places :rolleyes:

I just had to do the head gasket just to get rid of a f**kin oil leak, so I did the cam belt at the same time. And had to cut, drill and re-tap the exhaust flange stud holes... on good friday... without the right tap...

Mines just hit 280,000 and smoking hard which is a bit embarrassing but bottom end rebuild soon will fix that.

E30 is the only BMW ive kept for more than a year, couldn't imagine selling it.

Guest Ari Gold

It currently requires lots of money to be thrown at it, money I can't afford, recession wise.

Hence it has sat under a cover for the last 6 weeks.

Part out?

It currently requires lots of money to be thrown at it, money I can't afford, recession wise.

Hence it has sat under a cover for the last 6 weeks.

Part out?

What recession? :blink: