Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Smokers

Some nice kit you have there.

There is a saying... do it once... properly.. Its more rewarding and you can keep on doing it and enjoying it.

Imagine slicing all that by hand.... frig that

Half the butchers I spoke to in the last 2 weeks dont even know the difference in the cuts of meat they sell.

For Pastrami... I asked for a 2lb cut between the point and the shank of brisket ( the leanest part with no fat running through the middle) all I got was ?? :blink: I had to show them ? I'm an Automotive Technician ??.. go figure that one

BTW... any Butchers on here?? come to my workshop and tell me how to fix cars... you'll get shot :P

There is a saying... do it once... properly.. Its more rewarding and you can keep on doing it and enjoying it.

Imagine slicing all that by hand.... frig that

Totally agree Glenn.

Thats the main reason I haven't put angel eyes in yet. Cause I don't want to put the cheap tm ones in and the Umnitza ones work out frikin expensive atm. C'mon exchange rate. <_<

Bought 8kg boned out side of bacon last week and doing a dry cure at the moment. Will be smoking it Saturday. Will post up the results. Recipe available on request

can you cut american style rasher bacon? love the crispy one !!

can you cut american style rasher bacon? love the crispy one !!

Yes...but I like it with the rind on and a bit thicker than the Americans. Check out the L/H plate in the photos. That's done with the belly of the pork. The R/H plate is shoulder

Are you on lunch next week then Glenn? ;)

That slicer you have is the same model as the one i used to use when i was a deliboy at New World, that machine you have is built to last!

I've got something quite similar Glenn, bit smaller but enough space to smoke two 5 pound trout in there on each shelf. I like your idea mate, and I'm going to give it a try, I'm not a massive fan of bacon but the wife is. PM me the recipe, or do you just smoke the side of pork, cut her up and then bag?

Posted Image

Edited by The Diesel Guy

PM me the recipe, or do you just smoke the side of pork, cut her up and then bag?

The bacon must be dry cured first- takes 7-9 days. I do it over a 9 day period. I dont have the recipe at work. I'll send it tonight

The bacon must be dry cured first- takes 7-9 days. I do it over a 9 day period. I dont have the recipe at work. I'll send it tonight

Cool so what exactly is dry curing the Police, ahem bacon? I've looked on YouTube with conflicting results?

A couple off the net

http://johndlee.hubpages.com/hub/Make_your...astes_fantastic

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001573.html

I researched heaps and have come up with a recipe that works and suits my taste

The Cruft one is very similar to how I do it... but I like to be different

Edited by *Glenn*

Cheers G.

What difference would it make if it was hot smoked for 2-3 hours after curing?

Mine is a pizza oven come smoker and would only be hot smoke...

Cheers G.

What difference would it make if it was hot smoked for 2-3 hours after curing?

Mine is a pizza oven come smoker and would only be hot smoke...

Not sure ..it's best smoked under 120F not centigrade. You don't want to cook it

Wow, looks great! If you were in Christchurch I'd purchase some off you...

Not too keen on supermarket bacon, mostly filled with water.

Edited by andy_e39

Glenn, do you do a halal version?

I was going to try doing some, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy camel belly killed in the appropriate manner. All I could find was a place outside Kalgoorlie selling road kill :P

Wow, looks great! If you were in Christchurch I'd purchase some off you...

Not too keen on supermarket bacon, mostly filled with water.

Best trick for making crap bacon good:

open the pack, lay the rashers on a rack or tray, and leave in the fridge for a few days and turn them every now and them. The water they pump it full of evaporates, and when you cook it, it sizzles instead of stewing!

I'd like to make some bacon! I'm tempted to get pigs just to do it!

The water they pump it full of evaporates, and when you cook it, it sizzles instead of stewing!

Wouldn't that normally mean there isn't enough heat?

Cookup I done for my boy's 3rd birthday party...

You have to try smoking chicken nibbles G, they are epic.

My recipe is raised off a roasting dish, line the bottom of the dish with crushed garlic, heaps of salt on the nibbles and smoke for about an hour. The smell would wake the dead, it's caused the neighbors to poke their heads over the fence asking a few questions.

post-2864-1340450646.jpg

post-2864-1340450660.jpg

post-2864-1340450675.jpg

post-2864-1340450684.jpg

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I must give that a go Clinton.

Here's what I've been doing this weekend. Dry cured my bacon for 9 days. Washed it and kept it over night in the fridge on Friday for the Pellicle to develope. Smoked the bacon all day yesterday, just on 8 hours. Refrigerated overnight, cut & bagged this morning... over 7 kg of the best bacon you could ever buy.

Ready for the smoker

post-1129-1340493383.jpg

Into the smoker

post-1129-1340493390.jpg

Half way through cooking

post-1129-1340493398.jpg

Finaly smoked

post-1129-1340493405.jpg

Ready for tying up

post-1129-1340493414.jpg

All tied and ready for the fridge overnight

post-1129-1340493424.jpg

Slicing up

post-1129-1340493433.jpg

post-1129-1340493439.jpg

All vacuum packed

post-1129-1340493447.jpg

So glenn... gonna start making some for production? I'm sure some of us members would happily buy some off you!

So glenn... gonna start making some for production? I'm sure some of us members would happily buy some off you!

It's not legal to sell unless you have health & council approval... but your allowed to make it for yourself. Thats why I'm sharing what I'm doing for anybody that might want to give it a go. It's easy to do once you set up. You just need to be very clean and accurate with what you are doing. It's quite alot of fun to and you get to appreciate what real bacon tastes like.

It's not legal to sell unless you have health & council approval... but your allowed to make it for yourself.

Told the Bro in law about it, he's going to give me the meat, I'll make it, and give half back to him B) Awesome.

Slightly OT: Got my other favourite dead pig meal in the oven right now - slow roast shoulder It's only little, so 20 mins at 250C and 8 hours at 85C will be grand. Did 9KG at Christmas for 14 hours. B) Literally pulled the bone out and shredded it with 2 forks. Mmmmmmmmmmm Dead pig!

Posted Image