Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Engine work on the E30

Just had a call from DCH Motorsport regarding the engine work that needs doing on the E30. I'm happy to pay to have my car running sweet, just wondering if there was any way of sourcing parts etc myself to save a few bucks here and there? Here's what is being done and quoted costs.

Cylinder head: Remove head. Replace hex head bolts with torx variety. remove camshaft, grind worn lobes and replace. new gasket set, oil and filter, coolant. PRICE labour inclusive = $1150 + GST (not incl head bolts at this stage as waiting for price)

Fuel pump, replace with new OEM part @ 340+ GST. 30-45 mins labour @ 70p/h

Replace broken collar on left rear shock mount. $60 + GST, 1 hr labour @ 70p/h

Replace leaking rear gearbox seal. $35+GST 45 mins labour @ 70 p/h

TOTAL including GST (labour values averaged to nearest hour) $2019

This may increase as cambelt and water pump may need doing as well.

What do you guys think? I know most of you will say "DIY, it's not hard!".... but you're talking to a guy that barely passed 3rd form metal work! <_<

Edited by _Mark_

Guest FrantiC

I think that first price is quite steep, But I don't really know of the "going" prices for that sort of work to pull the head. You could ask to get your own parts, then talk to Gavin from Euro Itallian buy all the parts (discounted to us Bimmersport members), that should then just cut you down to their labour price for each item to be replaced unless you try DIY..

Seriously though, I was 16 when I got my first e30 325i coupe. I didn't know ANYTHING about cars. Within 2 years of owning that thing, I had done :Timing belt + waterpump etc, Pulling gearbox and replacing clutch, Rear subframe and all rear mounts, front springs / shocks and control arms, have done 3 engine swaps (all just m20, so nothing huge), replaced diffs heaps, I have pretty much had everything inside and out of the car removed or replaced and I had never done anything before. Gotta learn somewhere. It's easier than you think, Just read a DIY on these forums, help is a few clicks away on here and if you have tools then yeah it can save you ALOT of money especially if your young like me, Every little bit saved helps :lol:

atleast do the fuel pump yourself

I swapped mine out in about 5min

edit- all you do is pull out rear seat, unscrew cap, turn the cap below anticlockwise and pull out fuel pump.....easy

and buy it second hand, there only a fuel pump, you could save a few hundy just doing that

Edited by Jamez

there are a few hours involved with removing and replacing the head, i would assume they are doing new gaskets and seals all round - if so then that price is pretty damn good. I'd get them to do waterpump and cambelt at the same time and set the tappets (carefully)...

Edited original post... I can't even add... it actually comes to $2019. If I can get a slightly sharper price on the fuel pump then I'll be happy.

I'm actually glad that it needs the headwork, will run like clockwork after it's all finished and no more noisy tappets! :D

2000 dollars almost can buy another E30,and very good condition.

2000 dollars almost can buy another E30,and very good condition.

sweet i'll buy it

Doesn't sound over the top to me. And don't buy your own parts and get them to fit them. That is folly. The extra you pay in mark-up is worth the slightly better service you'll get, and removing of the hassle of sourcing parts yourself, the hassle and costs of delays and mucking around when it turns out you bought the wrong part, the hassle when they don't replace some small item because you are supplying parts and it doesn't come with the kit etc you bought, the stress when a part fails and they blame the part and you blame the installation. At least when they supply everything, if it fails early, there is no doubt as to who should pay to replace it. It is then up to them to try and recoup the cost off their supplier.

If you are going to DIY, then sweet, but if they are doing the work, let them sort out the parts and pay the mark-up.

You make a very good point Graham. I was thinking about buying parts elsewhere and supplying them, but as you say at least I have security knowing that if something goes wrong it's completely on their head to fix it. So, cheers for that!

The car goes in on the 4th... ATM I'm like a kid before Christmas, I'm sure it will be like driving a completely different car when I get it back. :D

ooh exciting! get a DCH sticker, adds 5 HP :P ... i want one now

The head work price is very good as long as it's a decent workshop doing the work, always get the cambelt replaced when it's removed, no point in doing later on and have to pull it to bits again!

And the tappets will be adjusted when the head goes back on anyway.

Doesn't sound over the top to me. And don't buy your own parts and get them to fit them. That is folly. The extra you pay in mark-up is worth the slightly better service you'll get, and removing of the hassle of sourcing parts yourself, the hassle and costs of delays and mucking around when it turns out you bought the wrong part, the hassle when they don't replace some small item because you are supplying parts and it doesn't come with the kit etc you bought, the stress when a part fails and they blame the part and you blame the installation. At least when they supply everything, if it fails early, there is no doubt as to who should pay to replace it. It is then up to them to try and recoup the cost off their supplier.

If you are going to DIY, then sweet, but if they are doing the work, let them sort out the parts and pay the mark-up.

+1 I totaly agree with what Graham is saying here. Let the repairer bare the warranty completely.

Have you also considered a mild camshaft grind ? seeing they are going to do it anyway ?? Also be a good idea to get the injectors serviced at the same time while they're out.

BTW... do the cambelt, water pump & thermostat at the same time

Edited by *Glenn*

Thought I'd update this thread now that I have the car back and the niggly issues have been sorted out.

Once the guys at DCH had the head off the engine a few more things needed replacing (As you'd expect). Things like the exhaust guides needed replacing, valves needed relapping etc. They also did all the drive belts (cam, A/C, powersteering etc) as well as the water pump.

The total was quite a bit more than the 2k I was originally quoted, but I expected that, and DCH always kept in touch with progress and checked with me before completing any extra work.

I got the car back a few weeks ago, and it was running very rich and stalling at idle. Turns out the thermostat was stuck partially shut causing the car to stay on the choke and overfuel even when up to operating temp. This has been replaced (free of charge I might add) and now the M20 runs like a dream.

It would be interesting to compare my rebuilt engine with one that hasn't been done to see what sort of difference it has made, the performance is certainly worlds apart from how it drove beforehand. It's got pull right up to redline now, whereas prior to the rebuild it sort of petered out after 5000rpm. It's also now got a nice gruff idle with the upped compression and reground cam.

Would like to say I am very happy with the guys at DCH Motorsport, they've done a fantastic job on the car and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

All good Mark :D

Sounds like they are a reputable repairer... keeping customers informed is a must these days. No surprises at the end of the day

Sam mentioned he'd seen it at DCH the other day and it was running mint. Cant wait to see it on the 2nd.

Graham is bloody good really , hes expensive but worth it on major repairs like that