Sign in to follow this  
APT

E30 Sump Guard's

I just recently got my car lowered and im just wondering for protection if a SA sump gaurd would fit onto my non SA e30?

Drew

ive never understood why people want to get sump guards. ive never got close to smashing mine. and i would imagen that to smash it you would have to be doing something pretty stupid. but thats just my opinion. not bagging them or anything.

ohh and to answer your question.. yes i think they do. but not 100% sure

Edited by sydwayz e30

ive never understood why people want to get sump guards. ive never got close to smashing mine. and i would imagen that to smash it you would have to be doing something pretty stupid. but thats just my opinion. not bagging them or anything.

Yeah im just wondering for extra protection thats all..

cheers

for peace of mind. you can't control speed bumps and drives ways...keep scraping it and it'll get weak in one spot eventually...who cares if u keen scraping your sump guard on accident...thats what its basicly there for...why i got mine

i smashed my sump driving into a drive and the car was on stock springs and shocks. my sump guard definatly has saved me a few times since.

Ive got to find one now.!!So sump guards are universal to all e30's ? :P

Edited by mybmw

Shingle road + Lowered Car in Rural Area

This is why you need a sump Guard.

Yes i do live on a Farm and drive on a shingle road daily.

My brother managed to crack/fracture his sub on his 89 e30, totally standard suspension and wheels. Still no idea how it happened but it is possible. Sump guard makes sense.

I was going to fit a SA sump guard but found no mounting holes for it, guessing not hard to retro fit them but didn't bother.

Because NZ roads suck... So many dips and unulations to bottom out on...

And then because of this: 

Posted Image + Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image

On of the fastfrog boys came around a corner on a drive day, hit pictured rock as it was in the middle of his lane. 3 others hit it also with minor damage... 

what is so hard about slowing down for driveways and speedbumps???????

ive never got anywhere close to touching my sump and i dont bother with a guard

On my watchlist :D

that's the one you want, they are worth it. they even have a hole for draining the oil without taking the guard off

what is so hard about slowing down for driveways and speedbumps???????

ive never got anywhere close to touching my sump and i dont bother with a guard

Sais the man with his lower lip missing. It’s not hard but some people just like their cars lowered a bit more than your average Joe, I have hit a few speed bumps that were quite sinister!

Have seen a speed bump cost an engine on a really low car before.

Sais the man with his lower lip missing. It’s not hard but some people just like their cars lowered a bit more than your average Joe, I have hit a few speed bumps that were quite sinister!

Have seen a speed bump cost an engine on a really low car before.

i just never got round to putting that lower lip on lol it was to help airflow to my brakes lol

I crawl into drives etc and my sump guard gets a hammering. I drive on backroads for fun, and my sump guard gets a hammering. I painted it before I went and got my cert and it got new scrapes on the 90km trip to the cert shop.

I daren't take it off.

The SA ones are what I have -I drilled speed holes in mine as I decided it was too heavy. Saved 1/8th of f-all in weight, but looks totally fuh raze now.

I don't think your car will have the 2x mounting holes in the front x-member, or 4x mounting studs on the chassis, so I guess you'll have to have them put in by an egineering shop.

my mechanic just drilled the holes to install mine. never had any problems with it

(mine is a SA one aswell)

Edited by M 325i

If you hit your sump on something would the damage be covered by car insurance? Like your collision insurance (if you had full cover and paid the excess).

For examples sake you hit a speed bump and break sump, oil all drains out and engine seizes as you realise something is wrong. Car needs a new engine at a cost of $3000, your excess is $500 so its clearly in your best interest to make a claim, would insurance cover?

That's a really good/clever question. My gut feeling is that it would as it is accident damage, not purely mechanical.

It would depend on whether you immediately stopped or kept driving until it stopped I would think.

If you hit your sump on something would the damage be covered by car insurance? Like your collision insurance (if you had full cover and paid the excess).

For examples sake you hit a speed bump and break sump, oil all drains out and engine seizes as you realise something is wrong. Car needs a new engine at a cost of $3000, your excess is $500 so its clearly in your best interest to make a claim, would insurance cover?

Yes, but then your insurance premiums go up, and for E30s, the cost of repairs comes perilously close to write off point... or, for the aforementioned link (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-215669072.htm), you could pay $21, get it installed for another $50 and not worry about it. :)

Plus the fact that Insurance companies can be a PITA to deal with...

Edited by Sick Puppy

Installed for $50? :wacko: Doesn't it just bolt on? (I haven't had a look yet)

Yes, but earlier in this thread someone (I forget who) said that they had to get holes drilled to fit... I just figured $50 for an hours work of someone at an engineering firm drilling to fit. :)

Edit:[i/]Here we go:

I was going to fit a SA sump guard but found no mounting holes for it, guessing not hard to retro fit them but didn't bother.

Edited by Sick Puppy

They're only bolt on on the SA cars as those cars have the mounting holes/bolts. Otherwise as above.

My brother managed to crack/fracture his sub on his 89 e30, totally standard suspension and wheels. Still no idea how it happened but it is possible. Sump guard makes sense.

Bad driver, or influence of a bad driver :ph34r: