Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

Guest FrantiC

More video hehehe.

I just did this now, drove around the block so nothing too great. Wastegates plumbed back cos I am currently doing WOF and cert so no screamer either. This ones a walk around, since no one has seen my engine bay for a while haha, then a couple second gear pulls.

Second pull is pretty much full throttle, I keep forgetting cos I sh*t myself when I do it. I had camera in 1 hand and it was sliding on the road thats why I say F'n shi*t cos yehh it sorta slid onto the oter lane and I braked and turned abit as you see haha.

Enjoy :ph34r:

Oh btw, this is with 12psi of boost. And for reference (since speedo not working), this is with 3.64LSD. So 1st gear is around 50km/h @6200rpm, 2nd 95km/h @6200rpm.

Edited by FrantiC

Haha John that looks pretty loose man! Impressive stuff things are comming together nicely now aye. Keep em vids comin dude ;)

How did your wof/cert go man?

Vruuum pish Thats a much better vid. wd

Guest FrantiC

Cheers haha.

Well not to great. Failed WOF on:

Too low, couldn't be brake tested on the dyno as it was too low.

Needs dim headlight adjustment.

RHS front indicator not going (fixed, was unplugged lol)

washer bottle not spraying (new hoses fixed it)

rear bumper loose (wasnt bolted on haha so easy fix)

tints too dark (i had 35% ffs but he reckond they were 30 so yeah riped them off GRR!)

broken exhaust mount (already hahahah! got a new 1 $10)

cert for turbo and h.p increase

cert for suspension and steering geometry.

So pretty much all I gotta fix is the headlight adjustment now. Droping it off tomorrow to mag n turbo, so hopefully will be certed by the end of tomorrow. Then back to get the WOF and w00t : :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shot bro good effort man! Wish mine had a cert, you will have to wait for your cert plate eh but hopefully they slap the WOF sticker on there for ya ;) place i went to last slapped my WOF sticker on once the car was fixed upto standard.

Guest FrantiC

Shot bro good effort man! Wish mine had a cert, you will have to wait for your cert plate eh but hopefully they slap the WOF sticker on there for ya ;) place i went to last slapped my WOF sticker on once the car was fixed upto standard.

Yup they said the guy will write out a cert sheet I can take right to VTNZ and get all that sorted aye. So I don't need the plate they will let me know when the plate comes and pop it in the car.

Oh sweet thats mint so just keep that on you in case you get pulled over and the cops are onto it enough to suss your modifications :P

Well not to great. Failed WOF on:

tints too dark (i had 35% ffs but he reckond they were 30 so yeah riped them off GRR!)

Yeah E30 windows have a 5% factory tint on the windows already making them 30% when you put on 35%.

VTNZ is pooz.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah E30 windows have a 5% factory tint on the windows already making them 30% when you put on 35%.

VTNZ is pooz.

Hardout. I guess just cos it is a Pink Sticker WOF, and how I'm only 18 and told them i did the build myself they had to be pricks about it. I have been through 3 WOF checks at that vtnz station with the same car with the same tints I put on it when I first got it. Sooo gutted I hate my car without tints.

I don't wanna be seen :ph34r:

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

So it's currently getting LVV certified for turbo and suspension. Been a grueling 5 months but I finally got there! Thanks to everyone that had input, advice, helped with parts wise stuff, ideas etc. Bloody stoked !!

Fun day in hastings today, Rain :ph34r:

Ended up blowing one off the brake booster connections off the throttle body while boosting just before lol. Popped back in though, going to need a bracket or something to hold them in though.. It liks vrrrrrrrrrrrrrr PSHHH then try slowing down and its idling 3000rpm (massive vacuum leak). lolol

***UPDATE***

Ok so I failed .. BADLY.

Flat washers missing off gearbox / crossmember.

Left side CAB cracked

Spring washers needed on engine arm bolts

Longitude gear box support bracket bolts missing spring and flat washers (WTF are longitude bolts??)

Fan shroud missing (Meh get an electric fan I think)

Needs wheel alignment report

No bump stops in front.

Left front ball joint and outer tie rod end worn

front coils binding

dust boot for gearbox needed

speedo not working

springs too soft

full brake test needed.

FML! :rolleyes:

Edited by FrantiC

Heh, sounds like you've got some work to do! Although most of that sh*t looks pretty easy to rectify. Why is your speedo not working? Is that intentional so we can't see how fast you are going in your vids :P

Guest FrantiC

No idea actually. It stopped working after I swapped in the LSD clutch pack I got from SilverFox start of the year.. Everything in the diff was the same, put the same speed ring on same pickup sensor, just didn't work. Tryed different sensors, I found one cut in the wire after cutting away the shielding, thought it woulda fixed it but now I guess I must have made that cut Lol...

That's not that bad - mostly stuff that you should fix over time anyway? LOL at VTNZ missing the tie rod end. It's one of the few things they actually seem to spend time on testing properly...

Guest FrantiC

Yeah, how do you tell if tie rods are worn ? I have removed my control arms going to replace both with new CAB's, maybe both tie rods too but they have written down "LEFT FRONT OUTER TIE ROD END WORN". What exactly is that part? Just from the threads to the strut? Or is it the whole tie rod from strut to in the steering rack?

And yep I am changing my suspension. There is too much weight in the front now (turbo, manifold, piping, intercooler etc), that the car is atleast another 10-15mm lower to the ground and the coils are binding when braking. So prob looking at selling my current front shocks and springs, throw in my new shocks with some higher spings I guess. Also need some bumpstops in there too.

I want coilovers but no way have the money for it at the moment.. At the moment just focus on fixing everything I need to and make sure it's reliable.

The left rear inner CV pretty much exploded. The metal casing is busted and the inner bits are smashed and all the balls in the CV just fell out wen I took it off, with the shattered pieces in there.

The balls become loose in them and will have a slight amount of play in them. The outter tie rod end is the the piece that bolts to your hub and comes from the steering rack, however you have a Rack End that skrews into your steering rack which your tie rod end skrews into so its the outter piece you need to replace and you may as well do both sides at the same time if you get them cheap enough John

Guts about your CV haha... guess im in for the same experience :rolleyes:

You best have her sussed before the 19th bro!

Guest FrantiC

Yuck, King spring superlows are way too high.. Looks like a monster truck now. I chucked the bottlecaps back on , looks intensly sleeper lol.

Just need to sort out speedo, rear axle and get a gearstick dustboot which is on the way.

I haaaaaate my new suspension :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Pics or I don't believe you. The race cars always look low enough to me and they're on superlows I believe.

The best way to fix the new problem is to become old. I've long since stopped caring how low my car is. The M3's new Bilsteins have raised it by approx 1-2cm (probably back to "new" ride height) but I really don't care. It doesn't scrape driving into the carpark at work anymore, which is kinda nice.

Also a higher ride height will mean less smashed sumps John :rolleyes:

Guest FrantiC

I'd say it's atleast an inch higher front and back. I liked the stance the jamex superlows gave it. yeah they were low and it scraped abit, but it looked perfect. I guess I will have to get used to them, they will egg me on to get coil overs later on anyways.

Guest Simon*

Are they new? The thing may settle with a little time and some hard cornering :)

Guest FrantiC

Nah, traded them with Chris from napier for my jamex superlows.

Something like a year old I think? He got them off trademe.

I'm thinking sand bags in the boot? ^_^