Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

Guest FrantiC

Thought I'd start a thread of my turbo e30 m20 stroker build..

Pretty much just out of the planning everything stage and finished painting it, and up to buying all the parts I need now.

So yeah I finally finished painting my e30.. w000t.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Managed to get a friggen cheap Full m-tech2 genuine kit pulled from a SouthAfrican M325I coupe, And Thanks to 'Jamez' (Forum Member) found someone to trade my Coupe door pods for 4door m-tech 2 Pods.

So now my e30 is a nice metallic blue (Im abit "iffy" at the final colour, but its OK lol) full m-tech2 with no spoiler though. Also the smileys I smoked, Not sure If I will do the high beams, Looks alright just the outers smoked but might do it eventually..

What else is NEW:

8.8lbs Flywheel.

6puk ceramic clutch + Heavy Duty PP

885 Head rebuilt, skimmed, new valve guides, valve seats etc.

Oil pan drain fitting for a turbo oil drain.

Oil restrictor fitting for oil feed to turbo.

24x12x3" front mount intercooler + piping all there, yet to install any of it though.

ARP HeadStuds + O-ringed head.

Solid Urethane Engine mounts.

The motor is a m20 2.7i stroker BTW, Soon to be BOOSTED!!@!

Posted Image

Thought I'd check it' fits before I did anything else. Had the cut up the front valance heaps for it to fit, Luckily the M-tech2 front valance covers the mess, but yeah this is the 24x12x3 intercooler sitting where it will be mounted shortly hehe

Posted Image

Oil drain and the Feed piece fitted in place where the pressure sensor goes:

Posted Image

No licence FTL! Hopefully i will have it up and running by the time I get it back in late July.

p.s this was meant to be in the Showroom section.. :P

Edited by FrantiC

Finally a thread on your badass project,

That colour is hawt.

Go the 2.7 Turbo.

SICK MAN!

cnt wait to see this running,

colours good, Similar to IPLEZA & 0E BMW

Did you paint it yourself?? the finish isnt bad, I bet its bright in the sunlight.

p.s this was meant to be in the Showroom section.. :P

Moved for Yah brov.

Looks good!

Loving the colour!!! :D :D

That will be mint once finished! awesome!

Love the color, I would put the chrome centre grill back on but thats just my opinion

Holy sh*t! That's sick! Colours awesome. Go matte Black for the grill IMO.

A few Questions though

Are you gonna take it to the track? Could prevent you from losing your licence!! What did you do to lose it btw?

I've got no idea, but isn't 8.8lb flywheel quite light? Aren't they normally around 22ish?

Has it got LSD?

What's the realistic Power goal?

Guest FrantiC

SICK MAN!

cnt wait to see this running,

colours good, Similar to IPLEZA & 0E BMW

Yer, It was hard trying to choose a color I liked. Saw Avusblau and was like I'mg going for that, But was like $600+ for that stuff cos it has so much pearl in it.. Ended up going with a very very similar blue, but in a 2k metallic.. I actually didn't think about but it is alot like IPLEZR <_<

In light it looks way lighter though.

Did you paint it yourself?? the finish isnt bad, I bet its bright in the sunlight.

Yeah all done myself in the garage at home lol. Hasn't been outside yet but the m-tech2 bits were and they were lookin good as.

Are you gonna take it to the track? Could prevent you from losing your licence!! What did you do to lose it btw?

I've got no idea, but isn't 8.8lb flywheel quite light? Aren't they normally around 22ish?

Has it got LSD?

What's the realistic Power goal?

Lost my licence for demerit points, had 2 sets of 35 from doing 71 and 72 in 50km/h areas (both within the 1st 2 months of having the N/A m20 2.7 stroker motor in there haha). and 2 sets of 25 from last year for driving around with a loud exhaust. Sucks you get demerits for that.. Came back to bite me in the rear :rolleyes:

8.8 is indeed very light. Shouldn't be too bad though, I hope.. I've been assured it should be fine.

Yes it has a 3.64LSD. Original setup was a N/A 2.7 m20 stroker with the 3.64 LSD. Mean fun, Have always wanted to go the turbo route though.

Power goals, I would be very happy for 280-300HP at the flywheel for 10PSI which is what I plan on running it on. Maybe even 14psi. But a they say, at 1BAR boost with a well balanced setup should achieve a 100% increase in power (Which would be something like 360-380HP??). So I mean 280-300HP would seem fair to me.

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

Here's more of the paiting process I went through with it.. Thought since it's my project thread may aswell throw them out there. :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Meaaaaaaan bro! Looking tidy as ;) good to see another member going down the FI track! Sounds like your going the right way about it with the headstuds and o-ringed head. Should be pretty strong, most important question of all... What kind of ECU control will you be using?

Keep up the good work man making some good progress! :D

Guest FrantiC

Meaaaaaaan bro! Looking tidy as ;) good to see another member going down the FI track! Sounds like your going the right way about it with the headstuds and o-ringed head. Should be pretty strong, most important question of all... What kind of ECU control will you be using?

Keep up the good work man making some good progress! :D

Cheers man.

Really thinking about going the megasquirt direction as it's all DIY and seems pretty straight forward to setup and tune yourself, plenty of guys have base maps to start off with and get the car running, and setup for certain boost with pretty much the same setups so would need maybe abit of toggling around to fine tune.

Managed to figure out what injectors I can swap directly in, Ford Green top 42lb injectors. So I should be sorted for injectors now, They are all over Ebay.. So are the turbo manifolds which I don't have atm, nor a turbo just yet.

Right now I am waiting on my 6puk clutch from the U.S to arrive so the gearbox can go back in. Then next week heopfully I'll have the head back and put that in...

Orsum.

Props for doing it yourself.

Guest FrantiC

paint looks really destink

Yer, I gotta get some outdoor shots (when the gearbox is in and it's off jackstands..), Looks way lighter. Just look at Avusblau. It is very very similar to that, just in metallic. That rear arch piece that was missing off the kit cost me $150 but that's all good glad I ended up with genuine 4 door kit, cheers man.

So what I did today......

Mounted the intercooler. Just bent some metal brackets I had lying around, I don't have a welder so couldn't weld any mounts to the front frame so I opted for some huge mofo rivets. They are holding very firm, So hopefully it won't just fall off one day :lol:

Had to completely chop off the mounts off the front valance, top and bottem. Might have to look into making others to hold it up though it sits fine with the bumper on..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking good, that intercooler is not going to get great flow for its size though

Guest FrantiC

Looking good, that intercooler is not going to get great flow for its size though

Yeah I got it before I had the m-tech2 kit.. I don't really wanna ditch it nor do I wanna cut the m-tech2 valance lol.

Oh man that colour is so awesome! Perfect blue..

Going to be hell fun when you get your license back, bad luck about that, make some more vids when it's done.

Guest FrantiC

I now have the intercooler and the front piping to the intercooler sorted and fitting behind the valance and gladly can keep my foglights in..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nothing exciting.. yet... :ph34r:

Guest FrantiC

Haven't done much lately.. Got all my interior back together, few miscellaneous things done here and there.

Though sadly I destroyed my clutch slave cylinder during a heat moment when I sat back in the driver seat (hasn't been moved or driven or sat in in a long time, so understandable :unsure:) and had a moment pressing pedals and well yeah pushing the clutch pedal wasn't a good idea, forced the piston to come right out and ripped the seal of the cylinder out Lol. So new slave cylinder on the list now.

Today arrived my 6 puk ceramic clutch and heavy duty PP.. So the gearbox can finally go back in.

Posted Image

Whoop Whoop, Should keep me busy for the rest of today! Finally get her off jack stands too hehe :)

Edited by FrantiC

Guest FrantiC

Pulled her out today.... Few pics outside. Front m-tech2 wasn't bolted on properly, Just sat it in place for some picss lol.

no progress really... ECU sorted out though, Bought a full Megasquirt 1 V3 kit from someone ni the states. Adapter loom, IAT, TPS, LC1 Wideband and GM coilpacks and coildrivers to run a wasted spark setup. Should be here shortly so I can start to set all that up..

Gearbox is in, 6puk clutch etc is all in. Waiting on the head now..

Still haven't heard back from the machine shop though.., They have had my head for a good few weeks now!!

post-3156-1242383584_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1242383644_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1242383682_thumb.jpg

post-3156-1242383870_thumb.jpg

^ Awesome mate, that color looks even better outside.

Looking very sharp will be one of my fav e30s on here when its done