Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

e30 m20 turbo stroker project

You must be highly excited :D I like your knowledge, keep it up.

Well done!!!

Have you done anything about the external yet??

You are running a T3/4 aye?? With a 5 bolt exhaust housing (that has a wastegate port)??

If you are, you can get the port enlarged and run a 38mm WG off it.

Like this:

Posted Image

Or run one of these if you have room:

Posted Image

Edited by E30-323ti

Guest FrantiC

Nope, Have not sorted the external wastegate yet. I have thought about using a spacer but it would put the turbo through the hood lol.

Yup t3/t4 and yup 5bolt exhaust flange and yup has a hole for the gate, Thought of that too but didn't know if was possible or how you go about doing it ? You mean use the hole that is there for an internal gate correct, Make a hole in the exhaust flange and then use the wastegate from there ?

Nope, Have not sorted the external wastegate yet. I have thought about using a spacer but it would put the turbo through the hood lol.

Yup t3/t4 and yup 5bolt exhaust flange and yup has a hole for the gate, Thought of that too but didn't know if was possible or how you go about doing it ? You mean use the hole that is there for an internal gate correct, Make a hole in the exhaust flange and then use the wastegate from there ?

Yip, thats exactly it!!

I know someplace on the net sells a 5 bolt flange with a 38mm WG flange & V band outlet, just can't find it right now sorry.

Guest FrantiC

What just how it is, it would work ? Like get the hole cut, Pipe and flange put there and that should be sufficient or more like take it in to have that hole made bigger cos it is pretty small anyways? But damn that would save alot of effort and money if I didn't have to try fit it onto the stainless manifold.

Great news man, well done to finally get it running :) Patience is a virtue :)

What just how it is, it would work ? Like get the hole cut, Pipe and flange put there and that should be sufficient or more like take it in to have that hole made bigger cos it is pretty small anyways? But damn that would save alot of effort and money if I didn't have to try fit it onto the stainless manifold.

That. what you just said again...

Definitely get it ported as much as possible (out with your die grinder & rotary burr).

Here is something similar for a Mitsi TD05

Posted Image

CONGRATULATIONS! Shot John you finally sussed her! I know exactly how you feel trust me ;) I admire your tallent and guts to attack doing the tuning all yourself also. Gonna be such an awesome experience for you! Sounds sik as with that idle haha!

Guest FrantiC

So monday I get my licence back! Will probably end up driving it to the exhaust shop just for thrills (even though it's still pink stickered lets just hope I don't get spotted Lol) and get the wastegate put on, then all I need is either a 7 or 8psi spring for now.

Have borrowed a mates laptop which makes life so much easier than setting the desktop in the garage (no internet down there so If I get stuck then grrrr, Laptop works mint cos we have a wireless router :))

Reading through guides to get it idling good and going to copy down someone elses spark and fuel tables who have the same 2.7 stroker turbo setup with 42lb bosch injectors (commonly used over there that's why i chose them), have to fix an oil leak not sure where it is coming from yet but it's quite a bad one especially when the car is running. Stoked as it goes though, Probably the biggest milestone yet of this, Just a few minor things and get this thing on the road.

Cheers to anyone who has given input into this project, ideas, supplied parts or anything much appreciated! Have a good weekend all.

Watch this space ;)

Guest FrantiC

Eeeek had bit of an accident.

Possible damage to the motor.

Basically I stuffed the tune up, ended up reinstaling the firmware. Had to do abit of fine tuning to fix some misfiring and the engine got abit too hot idling in the garage I closed it off at 106C. Now this is where the problem started, the engine cut off, then puted .. puted again and came back to life WTF??

This time it came back to life and revved all the way up to about 3000, 3500 and I was like wtf!!! I unplugged the ecu from the laptop, franticly tried making the engine stop, I pulled the sparkplug leads off and it kept going, only stopped when I pulled the battery... JESUS! The whole time smokes going everwhere, engines knocking and making loud as banging sounds. I got it stopped, I haven't touched it since... Too scared!

Guest FrantiC

Time for some quick pics, haven't done so in a long time. You can see the skinny downpipe, coil packs and the bit by the battery is the coil igniter box which has 8 coil igniters on a heatsinks and a PCB with all the resitors etc all you need to do is wire in, out and ground so easy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guest FrantiC

Good and bad news!

FIRSTLY, THE GOOD!

YUSSS GOT MY LICENCE BACK WOOO HOO. First thing I did this morning, Check through the car make sure everything is nice and tight.

Found 1 coil was not plugged in right. Fixed that and she started up MINT. Took it for a drive...

Lots of lag, I guess because the manifold isn't on properly nor is the gaskets in there so it leaks out, bummer but yeah. When it hits boost it BOOSTS. First gear, Not too bad once it hits boost around 4000 the rear breaks loose. Accidently though, only taking it easy for now.

It rips you into the seat, 3rd gear in boost around 12psi it PULLLLLS like a HOOOOLY HELLLL!

Only problems are :

Intake pipe keeps popping off, shitty universal kit!!

now the BAD:

Drove it all day, pink stickered but oh well.. hehe.. Managed to screw the clutch in it now. Not sure what is wrong, the pedal does not move at all. either pedals stuck, which I doubt, or the thrust bearing or something has come loose which has worried me.. So currently it's back in the garage, going to have to check everything I can before last resort pulling the gearbox out :(

But what I did get to drive was AWESOME. omfgz WANT POWER??

Oh yeah, and the map I have on my ECU at the moment was for Lifeiskaos on e30tech, he sent me it , he had a similar turbo 2.7 stroker (Holset Hc1 or somethign) 440cc injectors like mine etc, only thing I had to change was ignition from single coil to wasted spark. Seems this map is almost perfect for my setup, it runs very smooth and stuff. Very happy at the moment!

Edited by FrantiC

got a dyno session booked?

can you run a wideband to see what the a/f ratio is?

Congratulations John!!! See all the stress, worry and hard work pays off right? I knew you would get there eventually. Stoaked that you got that map sent to ya. Id still run over it though and make sure theres no areas in the maps that need some fine tuning as no two cars are exactly the same right?

Sounds like an awesome day for ya! Now get the damn thing sorted and wof'd :D

And....

DO A SKIDDDDDD!

legally on patch of concrete somewhere of course

:P

Guest FrantiC

I have already done a couple accidental skids, when I drove out in 1st and floored it it broke loose, put it in second and it was still loose then 3rd kept going but the boost was going higher and higher don't think its gone about 12/13psi just yet.

Yup I have an LC1 Wideband o2 sensor in there, probably start doing a log just gotta borrow a laptop agani so I can save a log of everything make sure it's not leaning out anywhere or anything.

Have yet to find a dyno around here, but defintley will be a wise decision in the long run to make sure what I got is going to last and get the most out of my setup.

Awesomeness.

Definitely get the wideband hooked up asap, and wastegate (you don't have one yet, right?). The lifeiskaos map probably has quite good ignition advance but you still need to listen for detonation and check you plugs.The safest thing to do is find a dyno and pay up a little for piece of mind.

Guest FrantiC

Awesomeness.

Definitely get the wideband hooked up asap, and wastegate (you don't have one yet, right?). The lifeiskaos map probably has quite good ignition advance but you still need to listen for detonation and check you plugs.The safest thing to do is find a dyno and pay up a little for piece of mind.

Yeah definitley. So far sounds good quite good, sounds almost exactly how it used to.

Just tried to do an exhaust vid for luke, to show my idle. Starter motor is now playing up...which is weird. First clutch now starter motor.. Hmmmmm.

Off to pull the gearbox! And I found my oil pressure switch so oil leak is sorted, intake pipe I fitted a longer 90 degree bend which should do the trick, and a bungy cord haha.

Shall be back soon with my findings!

wait till you drive it in the wet, you'll find even 2nd gear a waste of time

Damn was so keen to see that vid haha :P I hope you dont find too much lol.. if you find ur clutch is gone i can get ur puk clutch refaced etc at trade price ;)

Guest FrantiC

Sooo couple hours later, I removed the exhaust, driveshaft, shifter and linkage, starter motor, then all bolts and mount of the gearbox.. once I was about to pull it off I remember slave cylinder. And oh dear.. The piston is right out and the push rod is jammed between the fork and the opening for the rod in the bellhousing............

Gearbox is out and everything is fine in there. Not sure why the startermotor is acting up, bought this one last week. Going to have to get yet ANOTHER one..... And a replacement slave cylinder and probably a new pushrod for the slave too since mine looks kinda bent too.

Ohh well better than having a toasted new clutch with barely 10kms on it!

What happened to my clutch/slave cylinder etc. Pedal just goes loose lol.

Edit: Didn't do it myself though, Someone couldn't handle the power of my M20.

Edited by E30ONP

Guest FrantiC

What happened to my clutch/slave cylinder etc. Pedal just goes loose lol.

Edit: Didn't do it myself though, Someone couldn't handle the power of my M20.

I was just driving slow, turning a corner pushed clutch in to downshit, pedal went loose then came back up and wouldnt go back down. Gave it slight pressure and it was stuck all the way up so i was like ohh wtf.

Just yeah, didn't move or anything so I was like crap, exactly what happened when my thrust bearing crapped out ages ago. Got towed home only to find it was something pretty minor hahh. Ohwell.

Please read my thread here for input on starter guys!!