Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

E30 M325i vs 190E Cosworth

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Get a Ford :)

But seriously, i'd go the BMW. Totally bias of course :)

I love this episode... that black 190 is sex on wheels imo.

Edited by crazyarab

If you are buying it for a daily driver that you can have some fun with, I'd say the BMW all the way. The merc really is an awesome car, but you'd spend a lot of time changing gears...

The 325i with a couple of handling upgrades can be just as good as an M3 in the hands of a a non-pro-race car driver, lots and lots of available vendors for OEM and aftermarket parts too..

Torque = more fun in this case imo.

Paul Carter From Import Parts in Chch has owned both of these cars from new back in the day.

and describes having both cars very similar to what Incary has said

He preferred the torque of the 325 but still rated the merc very highly

merc all the way if it was me...and i fit,would prolly be the only merc i would pick over a BMW

Edited by kiwi535

But that's the attraction. I personally am a person that loves "rare" items or hard to find things. Its all so much.. better

exactly why i would get he merc over the e30

anyone know if there is a Mercedes equivalent of bimmerpsort?

Go e30! look at the km's! you'd find it hard to get a 320 that low let alone a genuine m325 nz new.. parts are so much easier to get for the e30. plus anything it needs you can easily get help with through here.. of course i am going to say this though.. i wouldn't own anything but an e30..

i vote e30

No doubt the 190 Cossie is a good performance car, compared against a M325i for similar money.

BUT, to me the Merc is an old man's car, all Merc's for that matter, even the new hyper-formance ones - still driven by old blokes with money.

The M325i looks a better car, more aggressive, better stance, and a sportier image, IMHO.

At the end of the day, it's all down to you and how you feel, especially after your last car was an M3... hard to move on from there!

Finally made up my mind, m325i.

Sensible option, more than likely better resale value, more parts, more advice, more knowledge etc etc

To me it sounds like a pretty simple choice.

Autocar magazine test.

190E 2.5 16 0-60 in 7.2, 142mph flat out.

325i 0-60 in 7.4, 132mph flat out.

Note that's the 2.5, not the earlier 2.3.

Autocar magazine test.

Pretty sure that the M325 is quicker than the 23-16 to 60, not by much though.

I'd buy the merc. 4 doors for a start. more practical.

anyone know if there is a Mercedes equivalent of bimmerpsort?

Not in NZ I don't think.

There's MMBC.org.nz, But then it says their forums offline..

Autocar magazine test.

haha, Would love to see a E30 325i go to 60 in 7.4! thats the same speed as the E30 M3! They would have been testing the E36.

Quite funny a modern hatch back is faster than both.

I would get the 190E. An m325 is nothing special, I dont see what all the fuss is about them realy..

I dont think you have questioned the most unbiased group Atta. Ha ha!!

Personally, I think that the BMW is a good bet. With a small amount of tlc if has the potential to look brilliant.

Having said that the Cossie, like your M3, is iconic and looks great.

Drive both and if the Merc with the high kms has had ALL THE MONEY SPENT (no shortcuts at that mileage) than it is a good contender.

Which ever car makes you feel the best is the one for you because if you dont get exactly what you want you will sell it quickly and end up buying the one you wanted anyway. It took me 8 years to realise it.

haha, Would love to see a E30 325i go to 60 in 7.4! thats the same speed as the E30 M3! They would have been testing the E36.

Quite funny a modern hatch back is faster than both.

No, they were testing an E30. I have copies of road tests for a standard 325i and a convertible. The M3 was faster again, if you were prepared to rev it.

Quite funny is that F1 cars in the 70s had around 400-450hp, I've driven 3 "normal" road cars in the last 3 months with more than that. Times change and things move on. I've even heard of Vectras being compared with Audis.

I dont think you have questioned the most unbiased group Atta. Ha ha!!

Not too worried about the bias, I think the voting and comments makes it clear that people are seriously having a think about it and not just picking the badge. The main purpose of this thread was not so much what people would choose but for me to get a bit more insight about both models. As usual, everyone has delivered and I have had to consider things that I might not have on my own (not to mention get some great tips and contacts, hell even an extensive review from Creaver). Cheers guys!

Right, well I think I have come to a conclusion...

In short, I think this particular E30 wins (provided the mechanical check comes up clean).

If I was looking at an E30 with 200+ km's that was up in Auckland... I don't think it would have a show in hell against the Cosworth and I would go Merc every time.

But this E30 is genuine motorsport, NZ New and has an odometer reading thats almost unbelievable for it's age (has basically been in storage for years) and is sitting right in my back yard! After test driving it again yesterday with Riley, I think we both came to the conclusion that this car was something special and well worth the coin as it's not something that pops up often especially in that condition (the trademe photos so don't do it justice, looks brilliant in the flesh).

Hopefully with a little TLC and some tasteful mods, "CRZARB" will be a head turner once again... Maybe even get that January spot for next years callendar ;)

Man, this project is going to suck my funds dry again... I can just see it. I am already thinking of how the hell I am going to get BBS mags, leather interior, MTech 2 kit (still not sure on that one yet) etc etc..

So yeh, going in for final mechanical check early next week. If all goes well, I think you will have a new E30 convert... well to be fair, I guess this process alone has already converted me.

Edited by crazyarab

Wouldn't it be better going for something that already has leather/techII? The houndstooth fabric and tech1 is such a classic combo (coincidentally my favourite options)!

Only imho - it's your car at the end of the day :)

Wouldn't it be better going for something that already has leather/techII? The houndstooth fabric and tech1 is such a classic combo (coincidentally my favourite options)!

Only imho - it's your car at the end of the day :)

As I said, I am still not sure.. just saying that I am already exploring options without even having the car yet lol!

I definitely love the look already, TLC alone with no mods and it will still be a minta.

Altho I voted for the merc I had my Schnizzle out for a snot the other day-first time in more than a month & I've goTta say I just love that car!!!

So,I beg to reneg. Go the M.!!!

I can just see it. I am already thinking of how the hell I am going to get BBS mags, leather interior, MTech 2 kit (still not sure on that one yet) etc etc..

You'll have to cut the car up to fit a tech II kit. Stick with original, stick with cloth and tech I. Car will retain it's value that way.

I'd buy the merc. 4 doors for a start. more practical.

that's one of the reasons why I voted for the E30 ... 2 door ftw :)