Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

IT Helpdesk Role at work

We have had one our guys leave and now we are looking for a new person to replace them.

It's an entry level role, so don't expect tons of $$$ but it's a very large company and it will give you lots of exposure to a multinational IT environment. 

If your interested PM me and if you could include your cv...

Please be aware that this is currently not a publicly available job and they are looking for staff recommendations at the moment, so it's my name on the line... so serious workers only... 

Me

Would have been keen. But registered back at AUT for another semester. 2 weeks too late. <_<

Im interested. You've got mail

got any part time jobs :)

Sorry dude fulltime job only... 

Hello boys and girls...

I've asked the person in charge of hiring for the role, and they have finally answered and they are looking for "some IT experience... preferabley 1 - 2 years"

A job ad i being created that i'll post up here also. Sorry about drip feeding info, it's how i'm getting it...

Those lacking the experance, i'd say once i post up the link to the job, go for it if you want, but you will need to really sell yourself. This is not for a ISP helpdesk\call center sort of role. You will be required to resolve issues and problems, currently it's only about 10% of calls make it to second level.  I'd say it's more of a level 1.5 helpdesk as you get a combination of some basic second level work and all of the level 1 / call center style work.

You will be doing things like remote access, basic active directory work, basic mailmarshel work, some registry work, environmental variable tweeks, troubleshooting programs you will have never used (we have over 1200 appilications in the company).  

Edited by DRTDVL

Which means, in English, that you will have to ask the same two questions every time...

Is it plugged in?

Is it switched on?

Solves 80% of all help desk calls :P

my friend who works at a telecom help center says the best fix is a restart :P

haha i wished that fixed most of the problems that we encounter...

That would be soo easy then...

heres two fun problems for ya....

secure client a VPN software package wouldn't work for some users from a particular section... why didn't it connect properly... there is something about a network port error when starting the pc...

secure client wouldn't connect when using a vodaphone vodem...

why didn't this print correctly?

I"m getting errors with the companys custom document management system...

ip phone systems

sirprisingly we get very few is it turned on, is it plugged in, please restart type problems.

don't you love trying to troubleshoot applications that you have no idea as to how they work, or what they do...

my friend who works at a telecom help center says the best fix is a restart :P

ISP helpdesk staff can all rot in hell... soo stupid.... i spent 25 minutes explaining what the problem was to the pleb and he still logged it wrong... grrr...

My favorite one is,

PLeb: please turn the modem on and off again...

Me: I've done that already...

PLeb I need you to do it again... Sometimes it takes a few attempts and it sometimes needs to be unplugged for upto 5 minutes...

Me: No you don't, you just waiting for the capacitors to drain to make sure the modem losses all temp memory and is completely depowered, should take less than 1 second depending on the capactors in the unit.

Pleb: No you wrong, when the unit it unplugged it's resetting the settings and it takes time...

Me: how does that work when the unit has no power...

Pleb: they are designed that way...

And don't get me started on telecom... had a 6 month battle with them cover internet line qualiy at my old work... go to the point telstraclear installed a line of site wireless internet setup (4grand's worth) and 4 months free internet at 50gb cap 8mb up and 8mb down

secure client a VPN software package wouldn't work for some users from a particular section... why didn't it connect properly... there is something about a network port error when starting the pc...

ip phone systems

i love it when you talking dirty to me, I'm getting a hard on

You Tube

Sorry, can't work out or find help pagfes on how to imbed youtube vids :huh:

ip phone systems

Hmm...

Right problem one, I would suggest a bounce of both the client and server.

Problem 2, bounce client only. If that doesn't work, suggest they de-frag their hard disk and call back if that doesn't fix it :D

I got pretty geeky at Uni (multi-thread OS/2 programming in 1988) but decided there was no future in it, so concentrated on Manufacturing Systems instead - doh!

Hmm...

Right problem one, I would suggest a bounce of both the client and server.

Problem 2, bounce client only. If that doesn't work, suggest they de-frag their hard disk and call back if that doesn't fix it :D

I got pretty geeky at Uni (multi-thread OS/2 programming in 1988) but decided there was no future in it, so concentrated on Manufacturing Systems instead - doh!

problem 1 = service pack for specilist software did something to the secure clients (VPN software) network protocols, only effect the laptops with it when then tried vpn. could connect to the physical network (when in the office 100%)

problem 2 = same as above but it was the vodofone software that was causing the problem

LOL you people are funny

I work for telstraclear and i have done my CCNA A+ network+ Comptia+ exams,and worked for Dynalink(Sh(t @ss place)

lol it takes longer than a second for the capacitor to discharge but yeah your right most people just bounce the cust

lol but there is so many times where i have heard the "i have power cycled my modem more than 20 times " and then wait they power down there modem for 5 min turn it on and wow it authing and theres data flow lol explain that lol please

lol ok lol lol lol.

Its not all the modem mate. lol.

Powering down the modem for 5 minutes could give the PVC sufficient time to disconnect and reconnect. lol, hence PPP reconnecting..

And also theres port lock, lol. lol lol

Its not all as simple as restarting the modem feller

lol

E: lol

Edited by Simon*

Would be keen, But don't live in Auckland :(

Are you still looking for someone Heath ??

If so PM me with your email addy. I have a young lady who might be interested

I've got to find out whats happening with this role.... not much has been said to me since i originally posted...

I'll find out more and pm you.