Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E46 Compact buyers guide?

Can anyone point in the directon of a good E46 Compact buyers guide?

Is there anything special to look for (i.e. unique to the Compact?)

Also, is the 1900cc chain or belt driven?

Thanks

Crockett

Here you go:

E46 COMPACT BUYER'S GUIDE

The following is a list of items to check when purchasing a BMW E46 compact. Hopefully this will help you avoid some of the common pitfalls associated with E46 compact ownership.

ITEMS TO CHECK

1. Your head.

That is all.

;)

Edited by _Mark_

Nice one Mark. You are right. Don't worry, the car isn't for me. One of the Mrs friends is looking at one and asked me to take it for a drive with her.

lol sounds like one of those questions that starts off with, "my friend has this um .... problem ..."

Before I bought for the E36 I have now, I test drove a couple of e46 compacts ... the 318ti felt very underpowered. But in saying that, I didn't find any manual one's, so I'm only basing that on the auto version.

Don't even bother with the 316ti unless you only want it for going to the supermarket, or are on a really tight fuel budget.

I didn't get to try out a 323ti though, 2.5 l6 engine so could be alright.

Last belt driven camshaft on a BMW was on the M40 in E36 (and E34 518). Last one was manufactured around 1994.

The put downs of Compacts annoy me. I just bought one and I love it. I went out of my way to get it. It has more advanced steering than a standard e46 of its vintage. BMW was testing out some handling systems for the later models. I may not be fully correct but I understand its not subject to subframe collaspe like a standard e46. I dont find my 316ti slow at all. Its not as fast as my 540 was but its great for driving to work in and saving on gas. I dont know about the rest of NZ but in CHCH theres like a billion e46 sedans on the road.

Here you go:

E46 COMPACT BUYER'S GUIDE

The following is a list of items to check when purchasing a BMW E46 compact. Hopefully this will help you avoid some of the common pitfalls associated with E46 compact ownership.

ITEMS TO CHECK

1. Your head.

That is all.

;)

Edited by J B W

I like the e46 Compact as well, having had one couple of years back. It's something different due to the low production volume, as it meant to be a stop-gag after the e36 Ti cease production and before the 1-series came along. Also partly because this model was never introduced into the USA market.

Nothing gone wrong with mine during the time I had it (318ti), pretty standard stuff really as it share most of its bits with normal e46s. Pretty sure the engine is chain driven.

325Ti are hard to find but they are pretty quick. Foot hard down, it pulls away (although slowly) from the e36 323i that I had back then.

There are not much of price difference between models, see if you can hunt down one of the later ones that already have the M-bits on it, they do look better with the body kits.

Thread-dredge much? Hadn't been posted in for almost 2 years ...

Anyway - I had an E46 316Ti as a first car. Wish I still had it seeing as I pay for my own petrol now. Never had problems.

I like the e46 Compact as well, as it meant to be a stop-gag after the e36 Ti cease production and before the 1-series came along.

Bit of a Freudian slip there? :unsure:

Hunting for one myself at present. The e46 has a better build quality I'm told all the e36 prob's sorted out. They come with two engine sizes, N42b18 and n42b20. The 323ti e36 only came out in left hand drive so did not come to NZ as the 325ti e46 did and they do 0-100 in about 7.3 if memory serves me right there is a manual one for sale on trade me. Have looked at a number of them and sorry to say have not found one that really appeals so will keep looking. Oh check the windows and how secure they are in their tracks, rubber seals, door handles and windscreens etc. Try some of the brit and US sites they have some good info

Cheers Allan

Can anyone point in the directon of a good E46 Compact buyers guide?

Is there anything special to look for (i.e. unique to the Compact?)

Also, is the 1900cc chain or belt driven?

Thanks

Crockett

I drive an E46 325ti I like it but then I would wouldnt I, one thing to watch is the rear window washer wiper they rust out - well the wiper motor does washer water passes through it and rusts out the motor.

The 325ti manuals are actually quite respectable.