Sign in to follow this  
bigrob

Identifying unmarked cop cars

Been pulled over by a Green Honda Accord in Albany. The cop was off duty and only stopped me for my german plates. Ended up giving me a fine for no seatbelt though...

We got a yellowish/greenish Primera in Huntly :unsure:

What about tow bars? Most Falcon/ Commodore owners would have one wouldn't they? I can't say I've ever identified a U/C police car with one...

Lots of the cib cars have no dash lights or anything, no extra aerials and the siren and lights switches hidden in glovebox/ centre console.... but then they dont pull you over so kinda doesnt matter anyway.....

Guest FrantiC

I know there around here there is 3 05/06 comodores in red blue and silver, all unmarked around here in hastings. The red one is hardest to spot as it has pretty standard looking wheels, so unless you see the lights in front/rear windows..

And there is a late model silver comodore unmarked one too.. You can see them in the car yard when you drive past the police station too LOL.

Edited by FrantiC

Been pulled over by a Green Honda Accord in Albany. The cop was off duty and only stopped me for my german plates. Ended up giving me a fine for no seatbelt though...

Something to be proud of Ashkan! Hahahah.

I don't worry about looking out for undercover cops, I just drive safely instead. :huh:

I don't worry about looking out for undercover cops, I just drive safely instead. :huh:

Once you ditch your chromes they'd leave you be anyway :P

I have been pulled up buy a Maxima and a Mazda 6.. they are driving allsorts these days :ph34r:

Easy to spot a Detective’s car, the VE commodore was not available with steel wheels to the public, even the base spec Omega has alloys. I don’t think a Detective will pull you over anyhow, they have bigger fish to fry.

Best thing is to stick to 110 and listen to some good music… or take the back roads.

Didn't ya spin your car on a motorway ;)

That was Livi.

Didn't ya spin your car on a motorway ;)

That was Livi, and it wasn't her fault either!

Mainly in Tauranga they use the marked Holdens, or the undercover Holdens with the bikkies on, haven't really seen anything else.

In Auckland I've seen some random ones, one was like a new Rav 4 thing? (I don't take a huge amount of interest in newer 4wds.) Out East.

Yeah, you spun yours at the traffic lights instead.... :lol:

Yeah i know Livi spun hers but so did you.

Edited by Greg.

My observations in AKL have been :

1.) Stock looking commodores with lowered suspension, i believe all cop spec commonwhores were issued with Fe2 (better handling) suspension packages.

2.) Same as above but with steel wheels and baloon tyres (why have fe2 suspension then?)

3.) large aerials, lights in the rear tray/ftont grill

4.) all of the above plus dirty and and the odd mark around exterior panels (especially in winter)

5.) Any vehcle that u get a gut instinct about, wether it be that the driver is not elderly and *removes racial discrimination comment about certain drivers and their driving styles* and they are driving strictly to the speed limit, obeying all road rules etc.

6.) NZ-spec imported vehicles i.e maxima opposed to cefiro, and number plate fittings are of NZ spec.

1.) Stock looking commodores with lowered suspension, i believe all cop spec commonwhores were issued with Fe2 (better handling) suspension packages.

2.) Same as above but with steel wheels and baloon tyres (why have fe2 suspension then?)

5.) Any vehcle that u get a gut instinct about, wether it be that the driver is not elderly and *removes racial discrimination comment about certain drivers and their driving styles* and they are driving strictly to the speed limit, obeying all road rules etc

FE2 is oldschool. Steelies and balloons for driving up curbs at speed chasing losers. You've never seen a cop break the road rules?? :lol:

I think at the end of the day. Liek I said before, if youre in doubt, just keep it in your pants for 5 minutes until the suspected cop has gone his own way.

Yeah, you spun yours at the traffic lights instead.... :lol:

I forgot about that!!! Woaaah!

i got told the " bickies " are off the utes. and are an extra 1/2 " wider. thats why they use them?

Mainly in Tauranga they use the marked Holdens, or the undercover Holdens with the bikkies on, haven't really seen anything else.

I've seen a white hyundai, a green holden astra, a couple of maxima's and a silver honda accord.

There's a lot of police in Tauranga, I live about a block from the Tauranga police station and they all drive like idiots leaving the station, they t-boned a taxi a few saturday nights ago at about 3am right as they were pulling out from the station.

They've been making an extra heavy presence in the clubs the last few weeks too, at Detroit we've had them in there doing a sweep 2 or 3 times a night. Not even Temple got that much attention

most the time they are holden S commodores or SV6... never seen a red one though, generally silver or black. Ive come across a Blue Mazda 6, a few camrys and a newish toyota.... umm starts with A, they are like the camry replacement in this light green colour. The one to watch out for in the hamilton area is the station wagon holden, that has a ladder on the roof.

Ha just got back from overseas last year and thought i'd take the M3 out for a "blow out", travelling at a bit over 100 came up to a SS, didn't think anything of it and gunned passed him at approx 140............then came on the disco lights. Turned out he was a CIB detective who apparently couldn't issue me a ticket etc because he wasn't a traffic officer. Seemed a pretty good guy.

Moral of story......they drive anything, an SS for crying out loud.

in Christchurch they used to drive round an RX7 (not a police car) but they would look for boy racers, pull up beside them at the lights.. give them a rev, drag them. Then the RX7 would pull off down a side street and a mufti car would be sitting right behind them ready to pull the other person over.. but they got caught onto and got in a bit of trouble for that.