Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

Time for an upgrade

I'm in the market for an E39 M-sport. Would prefer a wagon but sh*t they're as rare as hens teeth.

530i is a better drivers car- rack and pinion and not recirc ball, better balance etc, more economy and easier to maintain.

540i - power and power everywhere and a wonderful V8 sound.

NZ new cars are slightly under-speced. Not worried about the TV as I wouldn't watch it while driving but no sunroof, or heated seats etc.

There is only 1 e39 M-sport wagon and that's a 530i in Chch arriving this weekend. Everything else is a sedan. How much space do you lose if I went down to a sedan? I would be aiming for a F/L so rear seats should fold down.

I need to ferry 5 people in relative comfort. (wife + inlaws + accidental baby!).

There is a gorgeous 530i M-sport at Coombes Johnston Hamilton but is pricey at $32K.

Budget is $25K + trade. Could do more but would have to be special for me to pay the premium.

Cheers.

For $25k plus a trade you should be able to find a stonking touring, but in the last year they have completely dried up and there are very very few being imported any more.

I saw a 530 msport a few weeks ago on trademe but didnt pay any more attention than that, but take your time and you will get a cracker.

[e] forgot to add that with the baby stuff aswell, Id wait for a touring. The sedan boots are all well and good, but if you have a mountain buggy like us you'll appreciate just being able to open the tailgate and throw it in rather than having to pull wheels off and organise everything in the boot to accomodate it.

Depending on the baby seat you have you may be surprised at the relative lack of space for two adults aswell though. Dont forget these cars have airbags everywhere with big side bolsters and the rear seats are not that spacious as a result.

Definately worth having for the family though, I miss ours.

Edited by Penry

Personally... I'd take a good hard look at the 530 I Touring wagon myself. Less maintanence and less prone for real expensive repairs on later E39's

On the Sedans do all Facelifts have fold down seats? I thought only NZ new or Euro/UK spec ones did. The Jap and Singashit ones I looked at did not.

There is a gorgeous 530i M-sport at Coombes Johnston Hamilton but is pricey at $32K.

Budget is $25K + trade. Could do more but would have to be special for me to pay the premium.

Yes, the 530i at Coombes does look like a very nice car. Surely you could pick it up for yours + $25k...

If you are after a wagon, you should check out an Audi Allroad. Nice ones are popping up for under $30k, and you have the added benefit of quattro for skiing or towing a boat!

Thanks for that Glenn and Martynn. That seriously narrows it down to the one in Chch. Asking $25K and arriving 14th Sept.

I'm not into Audi's. I've seen their maintenance and repair cost plus I don't need 4wd.

I have the chassis no for the touring. How do I find out the options on it?

[e] Martynn: very difficult to import before 01 (emissions or something like that) and the NZD having taken a hit I realise that stock is very hard to come by. I was gunning for the E39 M5 but serious negotiations with missus means that is a no go with car being a manual and high maintenance cost. :(

Buy fun cars before getting married!!!

Edited by lidistick

i had a 99 e39 540i touring .

a bit of a fast boat realy , loads of power ,very smooth ,

but very boring to drive .

i didn't like the self leveling suspension in the rear , kicked and bouced a bit (and stupid money to repair)

also the late v8's have some expensive things to go wrong , water cooled alternator, nosiy vanos units etc etc

post-279-1251699914.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Most of the tourings being imported where poorly spec'd, very early 528's which would have been very very cheap in Japan but worth much more here simply because of their rarity.

When the import rules changed the imports stopped. There used to be dozens of tourings available 12 months ago and now your lucky to find one or two.

I say keep your powder dry, find a well spec'd 530 touring, preferably with msport trimmings and have some fun, they are great cars and get in quick when you see one.

If you are after a wagon, you should check out an Audi Allroad. Nice ones are popping up for under $30k, and you have the added benefit of quattro for skiing or towing a boat!

I have the nav unit hanging from the top lip of the boot in my E39 saloon and find its' really hard to get bulky luggage in. I even struggle to fit the big chilly bin in let alone the golf clubs, trundler and luggage or a buggy for bubs.

Agree the All Road 4.2 V8 is a good option for the added Quattro for skiing and towing.

I have the nav unit hanging from the top lip of the boot in my E39 saloon and find its' really hard to get bulky luggage in. I even struggle to fit the big chilly bin in let alone the golf clubs, trundler and luggage or a buggy for bubs.

Agree the All Road 4.2 V8 is a good option for the added Quattro for skiing and towing.

look under the bonnet of an allroad and ask yourself how do you work on that?

Thats the one I saw a while ago. Interior should be black leather or most like Alcantara and the trim should be ali.

Try and find some photos on the forum of Dave's sport touring, cant remember his username now though but they should be easy to find on here.

I'm not into Audi's. I've seen their maintenance and repair cost plus I don't need 4wd.

Having had 2 All Roads and an e39, I would rate the All Road higher than an e39 wagon. They are 4WD always but they are more safe on the road especially if your wife and child are driving or using it as a shopping basket. If she is driving and looses traction, the All Road will be safer.

As for the maintenance, I would contest that my e39 cost me more to maintain than the All Road by 2 to 1. They are both German made so parts are going to be a premium on either marque.

At least drive an All Road. My wife prefers them over a BMW and she likes the fact you sit a touch higher in traffic plus you can drop the ride height with a touch of a button.

I have the nav unit hanging from the top lip of the boot in my E39 saloon

That's only on ex-Japan E39s

Singapore E39s - and the rest of the world - have the nav in the proper place: on the left hand side above the CD changer

Having had 2 All Roads and an e39, I would rate the All Road higher than an e39 wagon. They are 4WD always but they are more safe on the road especially if your wife and child are driving or using it as a shopping basket. If she is driving and looses traction, the All Road will be safer.

As for the maintenance, I would contest that my e39 cost me more to maintain than the All Road by 2 to 1. They are both German made so parts are going to be a premium on either marque.

At least drive an All Road. My wife prefers them over a BMW and she likes the fact you sit a touch higher in traffic plus you can drop the ride height with a touch of a button.

Once you buy a warranty, the true maintenance cost of an Allroad surely can't be that much more than a E39.

You should also look at some "fringe" brands (as I call them). You can get a hell of a lot of Saab, Skoda or Volvo wagon for under $30k. Will be much newer and have lower kms than the equivalent Audi or BMW.

I agree with the 'fringe' brands. Definitely more bang for buck. It would definitely be an option if it was a replacement vehicle for the missus. Primarily tho, this is MY car which she would drive occasionally. I'm not into FWD Euros aside the Golf GTI. There is a Volvo V50 but that car is soooooo boring to drive.

I'd consider a Merc E class but have also heard incredible anecdotal stories of reliability failures, hence my apprehension in a W210 or W211.

The Jag X-type estate is rare and also another car that requires very deep pockets or an ironclad mechanical warranty so that's out. Plus its ugly.

Thanks for the input. We will be heading out shortly to coombes for the missus to get a feel of the 530i.

Actually, I'm in love with the 530i.

What an engine and what an improvement over the M52! Absolutely fabulous to drive with plenty of torque and so easy to rev. The steptronic is a huge improvement over the 328i. Plus the car felt so lithe and nimble. Round a few corners here and it was sublime.

I've more or less made up my mind so I'm waiting for the mrs to come to the party.

Thanks for everyone's input. :)

Fortunately not into DIY !

Easy.. not a big deal... the right tools... the right type of scanner... a brain & TI systems

Edited by *Glenn*