Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

Certification vs VTNZ

Guest FrantiC

Took my e30 this morning into VTNZ to have WOF stuff checked out , then to take it to the certifier this afternoon..

I failed on Alot of things, merely small items though like indicator not going, park lights, headlight adjustment, broken exhaust mount. I have fixed most of it already this morning.

1 thing I failed was "unable to check brakes" as they could not fit my car onto the brake testing dyno as it's way too low.

I took the car to Mag n Turbo and they said if the certifier says the suspension is OK at the height (springs are all captive) then the problem of not being able to have my car on the brake dyno is not my problem as they should have facilities to test any vehicle. They said LVV is LAW so the guys there pretty much can't deny it because it is certified (If it does get certed that is).

I don't wanna go back there and fight with them but if it does get certed for how high it is now, which is about 80-85mm at the front, does that mean I am safe?

Maybe I should ask if they would allow me to put standard springs in just to do the brake dyno test ? Even if it is certed for lower ? Anyone know what I can and can't do? lol

Best thing you can do is go in there and explain your problem without any attitude (not saying you would :) ) and Im sure they will try and work out the problem. Probably best to speak with the site manager and see if you can come to some sort of arrangement.

Communication is key.

Guest FrantiC

As soon as they saw 18 year old with a turbo BMW they were the ones giving me abit of attitude.

We already tried figuring out how to get it on there, But the brake dyno has a raised section in the middle, and my sump was atleast an inch too low so the car would be sitting on the steeringrack/subframe/sump kinda thing, would possibly damage them.

Guest FrantiC

Is everyone doubting me lol.

Seriously, The car at the brake dyno the sump is just lower than the raised middle part. And if it were on the dyno it would would hit it brcause the rollers are lower even more..

I would say your probably going to have problems with the certifier as well then. Especially if its on standard type springs and shocks. What did you install ? and where are you measuring it ?

4 wheel brake dyno?

get them to drive the car out turn it around and run the front wheels only on the front rollers...

then reverse out, turn around and run the rear tyres on the front rollers... i've see this happen before for a low rx7

Guest FrantiC

Nah it's only a 2 wheel dyno, So they do the fronts, then drive forward and do the rears.

Trust me at the height it's at now, there is no safe way to fit it unless it sits on the sump and I don't wanna damage it. Theres no way I can drive backwards onto it, fowards, etc.

Ohhhh a pinky...that makes it worst, cos they'll be real a-holes about anything. I went to another place (not only VTNZ do them) but in hamilton a place called Hamilton WOF Centre who do nothing but WOFs do Green & Pink stickers. They were easy, didnt even know why I had a pinky. They didnt fail my non-working reverse lights only a crooked light & no horn button and no % sticker for the tints. All fixed in one day so went back & all done.

Since you have paid already, not really worth going anywhere else as you'd have to pay again.

Has the car been cert'd? If not, just put standard springs back in, then put the others back in after you pass then take it for a Cert... ?

EDIT: why do you want it that low anyway? My car was 100mm and I still managed to smash my sump. Just imagine how dodgy its gonna be at 80mm? I assume that measurement is the sump or is the sump even lower?

Edited by Shady

Guest FrantiC

It was around 90mm at the rails. The turbo and all that extra weight in the engine bay has dropped it down alot more in the front..

I just don't wanna get new springs and I like the height it is now, eventually going coilovers anyways closer to xmas. And I know, I have raped 3 sumps in my time. Lol.

Edited by FrantiC

Go somewhere else??

VTNZ are useless.

+1, Have never taken a car there and never will. They are expensive to

They didnt fail my non-working reverse lights only a crooked light & no horn button and no % sticker for the tints.

You don't need Reversing lights for a WoF, my old cars diddn't work either.

Has the car been cert'd? If not, just put standard springs back in, then put the others back in after you pass then take it for a Cert... ?

You'll get pinged again if you do that. The heights are recorded on the cert plate

Guest FrantiC

Glenn, The way I meant it was Cert it for the height it is now - "too low". But ask if I can use standard springs just so the brakes part can be done for the WOF. Then back to the certed low springs afterwards.

Sounds dodgy as but I think that's all i can do.

And yes guys I know, VTNZ suck. But only way I can get my pinky off for this first time is to go through VTNZ so I have no choice..

Glenn, The way I meant it was Cert it for the height it is now - "too low". But ask if I can use standard springs just so the brakes part can be done for the WOF. Then back to the certed low springs afterwards.

Sounds dodgy as but I think that's all i can do.

And yes guys I know, VTNZ suck. But only way I can get my pinky off for this first time is to go through VTNZ so I have no choice..

You may be able to find a workshop that does WOF's with a brake meter- a lot of the smaller WOF shops have them, instead of the rolling brake testers.

Perhaps you need to find a place with a brake machine you can fit on, and get a VTNZ guy to observe the brake test there. Will cost you alot though. The cost of having a car that low though.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's these kinds of problems that are the reason that some people call a car that low "stupid low". Because it really is impractical and a tad pointless.

Perhaps you need to find a place with a brake machine you can fit on, and get a VTNZ guy to observe the brake test there. Will cost you alot though. The cost of having a car that low though.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's these kinds of problems that are the reason that some people call a car that low "stupid low". Because it really is impractical and a tad pointless.

They wont accept a tapley meter reading for a "pinky" has to go on the rollers

- Get the LVV cert, which will test your brakes, and have cert guy tell them the brakes are ok?

- Get them to test the brakes through a road test?

Service brake

11. The service brake of a vehicle or vehicle combination that is operated on a hard, dry, level surface that is free of loose material and without assistance from the compression of the engine or other retarders must operate in the following manner:

a) A service brake that acts on each wheel must stop the vehicle within a distance of 7 m from a speed of 30 km/h (average brake efficiency of 50%).

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in...ral-08-v3a5.pdf

If you get coilovers at Xmas, you'll need a new cert.

I have had enough issue with stuff like this on my car but its stock just cause of a few things ive hit LTSA up about eg emmision testing on a auto

basically easy if its a VTNZ get them to do the breake test if its certed and if it brakes anything then they will have to pay for the damages

still a certing issue with emmision testing and reving the auto to 2500rpm which on research was found it can destory the auto transmission doing that in nuteral - went in and explained this to them without attitude and told them any damage to my car in there possision - had to be fixed by them (changed there tune they just let it slide)

but look at the law/ legislation and if VTNZ damage your car in the process of standard testing i belive they have to pay to fix the damage

I have had enough issue with stuff like this on my car but its stock just cause of a few things ive hit LTSA up about eg emmision testing on a auto

basically easy if its a VTNZ get them to do the breake test if its certed and if it brakes anything then they will have to pay for the damages

still a certing issue with emmision testing and reving the auto to 2500rpm which on research was found it can destory the auto transmission doing that in nuteral - went in and explained this to them without attitude and told them any damage to my car in there possision - had to be fixed by them (changed there tune they just let it slide)

but look at the law/ legislation and if VTNZ damage your car in the process of standard testing i belive they have to pay to fix the damage

and thats why they wont test it on the rollers....