Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

How much oil your engine use?

Hi guys,

I bought my 330Ci for a few months now and I am loving it. But it seems to be burning oil a bit. It used around 500ml for the last 3000km. The last few BMW I own never use a drop of oil between services, so I am slightly worry.

I read some other forum and seems to have mixed opinion on this but what are your thoughts? What's a reasonable amount of oil used over what milage/time?

NZ new, 98k, full BMW dealer service history from new, 2004.

Hmmm where is Glen? Does not sound natural to me

Yer doesnt seem normal, ive had my 318 e46 for the last two years (two services) near no burning at all, its done 120 kms.

Not usual for them to use oil. I suggest removing the belly plate and checking, oil filter remote housing, dipstick breather tube, sump gasket, test the CVV valve and check the rocker cover gasket for leaks. These are the most common problems. If you cant do it yourself...give me a call (09)2722546

Not usual for them to use oil. I suggest removing the belly plate and checking, oil filter remote housing, dipstick breather tube, sump gasket, test the CVV valve and check the rocker cover gasket for leaks. These are the most common problems. If you cant do it yourself...give me a call (09)2722546

I have been told these tend to burn a little more oil if full synthetic is used as opposed to semi-syn. Whats your experience with this Glenn?

Yanks have dedicated an entire thread to bitching about it.

VMW

Our 330 uses a bit too.

Edited by westy

dont ask E39 M5 owners.....

Don’t ask any M owners :unsure: It’s the price you pay, could be worse, could be a 13b.

Mine uses a few hundred mills every couple of months, its old and crappy though.

I have been told these tend to burn a little more oil if full synthetic is used as opposed to semi-syn. Whats your experience with this Glenn?

True...but not the ammount he is using over 3,000km

True...but not the ammount he is using over 3,000km = 2.5 litres in 15,000km. I wonder if it wasnt full properly from the previous service. I'd check for leaks and monitor it.

ooops

Edited by *Glenn*

Yanks have dedicated an entire thread to bitching about it.

VMW

Our 330 uses a bit too.

I find with the m54b32 it depends how you drive it and what viscoes oil your using vs engine wear. Mines always used about 2 liters every 6 months. Even more if im using the revs or going on runs.

I use to run mine on 5w-60 but now that its at 140kms Castrol 10w-40 seems like a better option. Again, depends on what im using the car for.

A lot of people claim they only go through bugger all oil, but you also find they only do 10000 ks per year, or open road driving. Living in auckland with stop start traffic, its normal to go through more. I do about 25-30000kms a year.

WTF do you do all day Josh doing 25-30k pa around Auckland city!

FWIW, I drive my M3 mostly in the city, with maybe 40% motorway or open road, and I don't think it uses any oil. Certainly I've never needed to put in any between services.

Thanks for all the input. So I guess it fairly normal then.

I've checked with BMW service which they claim is within tolorence. Their standard is 0.7l per 1000km for non-M engines. (1.5l per 1000km for M-engine). At this rate, you won't ever need oil change!