Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

DIY: Re-colouring (Dying) Door Cards

I just realized, why isn't there a specific DIY section of the forum? That would be a good idea IMO.

Alright. So as most already know I purchased a white leather interior for my E36. Only problem is the door cards surrounds were the icky grey as the dash was on the donor car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wanted them to match my dash which is the normal black. So I set out to find a suitable paint/dye for the job. I looked it up on google and the very few bits of information scattered around mentioned to just use normal car spray paint. I wasn't so keen on this however it could do the job. I dropped into Autopaint in Henderson with a sample door card to show them. The guys there were very helpful and knowledgeable. They couldn't provide me with the suitable paint however as they were out of stock (Weird for a dedicated paint shop). So I then headed down to Repco and checked out their range.

I ended up with a VHT Vinyl Dye. Satin Black (Thanks to Tony (Westy)).

Posted Image

I then set out to get the sh*t off the door cards and give them a good clean. The back of the can says to use grease and wax remover which I didn't use. I would recommend the use of this though as it will give the dye the best chance to stick properly. I did use a bucket with some clean water, a sponge and a very very light detergeant.

Posted Image

You must not use a dirty sponge as you will just be putting all the dirt and grime you are wanting to take off back onto it. Luckily I had a brand new sponge sitting around. No pictures of the cleaning step, its pretty simple.

When drying the cards after I would suggest letting them air dry. This allows them to dry completely without any other contaminants getting back onto the cards before you dye them.

Then I masked the leather/vinyl inserts up. I didn't have specific painters tape or really anything special, just normal masking tape. Taped around the edges and filled the middle in with newspaper.

Then the moment of truth. The dying stage. The can says to shake it for two minutes so shake it for two minutes.

Then use even back and forth strokes to do a light even cover over the whole card. The can said to do 2 light coats 10 minutes apart then a medium coat afterwards. I followed the details on the can and I would suggest if you do this too, to follow them religiously. Every different type of spray paint/dye will have different adhesion needs so read the back!

First coat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Second coat.

Posted Image

Final coat.

Posted Image

Can't see much difference in the photos between coast but each time it gets a slightly deeper and darker colour and better coverage. In real life the black isn't as intense but it still is very black.

Thirty minutes later and the last coat of dye had just gone on. They look absolutely stunning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nothing I would do differently in the future. They came out mint. Now to see if they can stand up to the test of time.

Thanks for reading and if I can help in any way please feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Nick

Nice work Nick, it looks good.

Looks like you got it clean enough and you got lucky. Sometimes on interior pieces there is left over silicon and crap thats just great for fish eyes. This is the reason for using the wax and grease remover.

Those cans with the fancy little nozzle are also the dogs bollocks for spraying, so much better spray pattern.

Aaand another reason to use satin is that it looks so much more "black" than matt.

that does look mint, the upholstery dye think its duplicolour is pretty good for doing the purple faded rear parcel trays too - mat black not satin black.

are you selling off your old door cards?

good work , yes did my e28 door cards inserts about 5-6 years ago now they still look good

post-279-1254116761.jpg

post-279-1254116847.jpg

post-279-1254116872.jpg

post-279-1254116940.jpg

post-279-1254117028.jpg

No, will not be selling my old ones atm.

They look great Brent. Good to hear they can last for years.

Cost about $16 a can. I bought one, but will need to go back for hopefully only one more.

Appreciate the comments. Very pleased with the outcome. They look very sharp in real life.

Clever boy, considered an apprenticeship?

Having a look round atm. Considering most things. But all will come in time.

Looks really good mate!

Not that there is anything wrong with the original grey! :P

Haha, yea. I didn't mean to offend! My dash is black so it would have looked really wrong.

OK! Got the other side of the rear done last night and managed to fit in one of the fronts today. The other needs a really good clean. Again, very pleased. They certainly look the part.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just bought the same stuff Nick used for his doorcards to spray my very faded parcel shelf black. Worked a treat, well worth the $15.49. :)

post-2031-1258063729.jpg

Just bought the same stuff Nick used for his doorcards to spray my very faded parcel shelf black. Worked a treat, well worth the $15.49. :)

post-2031-1258063729.jpg

Thats what I need to do. Good to see it works well.

+1 looks good Mark.

Did mine also:

Posted Image

Did the front arm rests and rear door cards on my e30 the other day with one can and it came out good. I love the nozzel on the can, why cant they all be like that!?

post-2031-1258063729.jpg

I just did the same this morning...looks much better now :D