Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Are you an AA Member?

I've been an AA Member for 11 years. I don't live in a city centre (so the fees are cheaper), and I get the long-time member discount, but I haven't used the AA in years.

I can usually fix something on the side of the road myself, or I'm close enough to home that it's quicker to ring a friend for a tow than call the AA. I can break into my own car for locked keys, and carry a jump kit for flat batteries.

If I'm miles from home then I guess it may come in handy now and again, but the repair isn't free at the workshop, just the tow - and so if it's so serious it needs a workshop, it's possibly cheaper to get it towed home and to do it myself.

And their advocacy, advice, vehicle inspections, magazine, and stance on important issues are all bollocks.

Are there other services I don't know about that are worth having it for?

If you try and buy all of your petrol at BP and swipe your membership card you can usually earn enough points to get your annual membership for next to nothing.

I thaught about calling the AA.

But Dad's a better callout service.

He also doesn't charge, but he laughs at me.

I thaught about calling the AA.

But Dad's a better callout service.

He also doesn't charge, but he laughs at me.

hahah ditto.. and friends too.. although they laugh at you crazy... but usually payment in beers or burger king.. they help you out too when its something major :D

my last call out was when my crank sensor keeled over in the motorway.. engine died -> 0rpm.. dad came to the rescue.. good ole honda towing my beemer that started but in "i'll get you home.. even if im cripple mode" lol..

Edited by Docile

Most insurances these days offer a call out service as part of the insurance, Mine does through ASB and before that I had it with State.

When I got my learners at 15, My mum brought me an AA membership. So Naturally when I got my first car (17) I went to them for insurance. They wouldn't even look at me. Car was a 93 Mazda Familia 1500cc.

They were happy to take my money for membership, but wouldn't even consider insurance due to my age.I was happy to pay whatever it cost (Which ended up been $1200 P/A through State) So I cancelled my membership. They rant on about looking after there members etc etc. But when it comes to the crunch forget about it.

Have a fuelcard with personal use through work so points don't worry me, In my experience there inspections on anything other than a Toyota Corolla are crap. Magazine is average.

I would never have another membership, For me personally theres no benifit.

^^Yeah that's my feeling. I used to shop at BP and get the points (was great before the company got fuel cards as I'd fill up the company vehicle there and get the points), but now I have a Caltex fuel card for personal use, and the fuel savings on that cream any savings I'd get through AA points.

Oh, you can get cheap burger king.

How? Do tell

Im with State insurance and they look after me, have had two tows in the time I have had the E30, figuring in $200 a tow it paid for my insurance.. Also windscreen insurance is a goodie.

I think having some sort of cover is a must when you have an old car that stops randomly.

How? Do tell

Apparently you just tell them your an AA member, and you get 10% off or something like that.

they swipe your card too.

Proof.

Edited by antil33t

I've got it just for the free tows. And I upgraded to the super duper whos-ya-daddy membership so that they tow you from anywhere in the country and will put you up in accommodation if you get stuck etc.

I'm not very mechanically minded, so I like having peace of mind that I can just call them if something breaks.

My wife is a member so when her car stops working she doesn't have to call me out. I'm also not really keen on towing other vehicles with my E60!!

As I have AA mechanical warranty her membership fee is 50% off the normal price.

I had been an AA member ever since I was 15, prior to leaving NZ.

I used them from time to time (in fact twice in the week prior to leaving NZ when the water pump on the 323i died over the Kopu hill in the Coromadel).

I would still be a member if in NZ.

Cheers

Grant

I'm not very mechanically minded, so I like having peace of mind that I can just call them if something breaks.

My main reason too.

Cheers

Grant

Mechanically minded or not you can’t swap a diff, water pump or steering pump on the side of the road.

Im luck my best mate is a tow truck operator and he is known to have driven some mighty long distances to save his mates.

I get AA's breakdown service as part of my mechanical warranty.

Once that runs out, I'm just going to get NZI's breakdown service added onto my insurance.

Don't like AA for a couple of reasons -

they tried to tell me that my car only comes in 4 door

they tried to tell my mate that there is no such thing as a GT Corolla liftback

But should a major happen what would it cost to get a tow truck out and how many years of membership would it take to save up that money ?

Sods law states though, the moment you cancel your membership G, you'll need them !

Ive never been a member of the AA or anything like that (and touch wood) have never needed to use them.

I'm a member, but only because my Mummy pays for it.

Mechanically minded or not you can’t swap a diff, water pump or steering pump on the side of the road.

Im luck my best mate is a tow truck operator and he is known to have driven some mighty long distances to save his mates.

lol ... im m8s with the auckland city towing company ... they will take my car anywhere in the city to their pound :'(

I get AA's breakdown service as part of my mechanical warranty.

Once that runs out, I'm just going to get NZI's breakdown service added onto my insurance.

Don't like AA for a couple of reasons -

they tried to tell me that my car only comes in 4 door

they tried to tell my mate that there is no such thing as a GT Corolla liftback

Did you have one? Brown leather FTW! The three dore with white leather and red carpet owns the liftback.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=13677&hl=

Them not knowing the specifics of your car is simply because it’s not in their system, I have had State invent two new cars in there system, AH Holden Astra SRI-T and Renault Megane 225 Team F1, you have to be careful because come crunch time they will try and give you what you are insured as, crashing our Astra and ending up with a bread and butter 1.8 would have been stink as.

lol ... im m8s with the auckland city towing company ... they will take my car anywhere in the city to their pound :'(

Don’t start me on them, The guy that runs the office in Grafton need a bullet in the head, he insulted my missus, myself the poor Asians in front of us but worst of all he touched my E30! I have only once been in a situation when I thought if I had a gun I would shoot you right now without thinking twice, bet if we had gun laws like in America he may have had a different attitude,

Renault Megane 225 Team F1

OT, but I saw one the same colour as yours pulling into the carpark at Te Papa on Saturday as I was leaving the F1 exhibit.

OT, but I saw one the same colour as yours pulling into the carpark at Te Papa on Saturday as I was leaving the F1 exhibit.

Was it black? Don't know what colour Apexs car is. I was there too for thw weekend.

I have AA membership, and last time i priced up a quote on the State website their roadside assistance added $150ish to the bill :o

I think i'll stick with my $70ish for the super-dooper AA-Plus, which will cover me if i ever need a tow for the motorbike too :D

Did you have one? Brown leather FTW! The three dore with white leather and red carpet owns the liftback.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=13677&hl=

Them not knowing the specifics of your car is simply because it’s not in their system, I have had State invent two new cars in there system, AH Holden Astra SRI-T and Renault Megane 225 Team F1, you have to be careful because come crunch time they will try and give you what you are insured as, crashing our Astra and ending up with a bread and butter 1.8 would have been stink as.

I just simply walked out of their office when the lady asked me, "are you sure your car has 2 doors?" lol

never owned a Corolla myself, but my mate was obsessed with them

he owned at least half a dozen GT hatchbacks and then the 1 GT liftback

the liftback was absolutely mint, very well looked after, fully optioned ... and yea it had red carpet and brown leather