Sign in to follow this  
gjdavis

E36 320 v 325 v 328

Whoops, my mistake, as you were.

I'm not bagging atenza's, theyre a great car for what they are. I just miss having a grunty rear wheel drive, my previous vehicle was an 410HP Holden V8 ute. So the atenza was a huge step backwards.

Well any E39 really, depending on what youre after from the engine. There's the E46 3 series, you can pick up a 1998 - 2000 model for just at 10k depending again on options and engine

Well any E39 really, depending on what youre after from the engine. There's the E46 3 series, you can pick up a 1998 - 2000 model for just at 10k depending again on options and engine

Yea the e46 shape looks pretty nice but I didn't enjoy driving it as much as an e36.

I think a 5 series is a bit big, would rather have a decent straight six in a lighter body.

Thanks for your feedback though its always good to look at all the options.

Same rules - it is not a motorsport just a standard car with an aftermaket body kit

If you are looking at E39s go to the 528 same deal, M-Sport suspension, staggered wheels are the go

also 523 is under rated

Im guessing a 328 would be better performance wise than a 528? I don't think we need a big sedan just yet.

I have one of each in manual, the 328 is quicker , more nimble and more fun, but the 528 is a great long distance family tourer that is quieter and does cut the mustard in the driving stakes.

Economy is within 3%

328 it is then. Maybe a 5 series if we have more kids :o

I can understand about the baby coming part, but to me it's not a good enough reason to not get a coupe. I guess as long as you can get a baby seat in the back and a stroler (sp?) in the boot, there's plenty of space for a couple + baby in a coupe. Both my wife and I reckon a coupe is safer for a baby as he/she can't get anywhere or have any button/door handle to play with. When they can walk and climb, the coupe would be their jungle gym when getting in and out (which I believe they will love). So there.

FYI, I have a E46 coupe and looking at having a baby. Both my wife and I agreed that we are NOT looking at changing cars for the baby. I've seen couple go out in a 3-door VW Golf GTi hatchback with stroller, babyseat and week's supermarket shopping without problem.

I can understand about the baby coming part, but to me it's not a good enough reason to not get a coupe. I guess as long as you can get a baby seat in the back and a stroler (sp?) in the boot, there's plenty of space for a couple + baby in a coupe. Both my wife and I reckon a coupe is safer for a baby as he/she can't get anywhere or have any button/door handle to play with. When they can walk and climb, the coupe would be their jungle gym when getting in and out (which I believe they will love). So there.

FYI, I have a E46 coupe and looking at having a baby. Both my wife and I agreed that we are NOT looking at changing cars for the baby. I've seen couple go out in a 3-door VW Golf GTi hatchback with stroller, babyseat and week's supermarket shopping without problem.

Trust me I have tried to talk the missus into getting another coupe (we currently have a e36 318is coupe) but she is convinced that a coupe is too much trouble for her to get baby in and out of.

If I had it my way we would be getting a coupe, they look a million times better than a sedan!

To be honest mate I wouldn't discount any of the larger 6 cylinders - 323, 325, 328.

I have a 323, lived with it for 18 months. Has plenty of power but what do you expect from a mid sized straight 6. Don't know whether you know but the 323 is pretty much a detuned 325. The exhaust is one of the things which strangle the engine, but if replaced with a 325 or 328 system, from what i've heard, can give a 10 hp gain. And for a pretty inexpensive mod ($150) it nearly brings it up to 325/328 power. A CAI and a remap would easily take it over 328 power. I've got a CAI and will be doing the exhaust sometime hopefully.

Seriously man, go for a manual! I wouldn't go to an auto, especially in an E36. The smaller, more nimble body deserves a manual to free it up and make it more fun!

My 2c.

Go for a 328i mate, in auto form [with the lock up converter] the 325 are gutless down low. The 328 never ceased to amaze me, the 325 has a very fun power delivery [bloody addictive] but sadly only in manual form when the bottom end isn't destroyed by a poorly set up auto.

So 328i = awesome fun in auto and manual.

325i= great fun when in song [auto and manual]

320, not worth getting over a 318is.

There wasn't much difference between vanos and non vanos 325's, they both went around the same with the auto box

I just brought a 328i and love it! Worth every $ so far and suprisingly, uses about the same amount of petrol as my old 1989 320i.

I just brought a 328i and love it! Worth every $ so far and suprisingly, uses about the same amount of petrol as my old 1989 320i.

I knew I was right!

The 328i are absolutely brilliant!

Go for a 328i mate, in auto form [with the lock up converter] the 325 are gutless down low. The 328 never ceased to amaze me, the 325 has a very fun power delivery [bloody addictive] but sadly only in manual form when the bottom end isn't destroyed by a poorly set up auto.

So 328i = awesome fun in auto and manual.

325i= great fun when in song [auto and manual]

320, not worth getting over a 318is.

There wasn't much difference between vanos and non vanos 325's, they both went around the same with the auto box

Yea i really would like a manual but its just not gunna happen.

I drove a 320 auto yesterday and it was miles better than our 318is, so I wouldn't bag it. A 320 would be a good car especially in manual.

Edited by Justin

To be honest mate I wouldn't discount any of the larger 6 cylinders - 323, 325, 328.

I have a 323, lived with it for 18 months. Has plenty of power but what do you expect from a mid sized straight 6. Don't know whether you know but the 323 is pretty much a detuned 325. The exhaust is one of the things which strangle the engine, but if replaced with a 325 or 328 system, from what i've heard, can give a 10 hp gain. And for a pretty inexpensive mod ($150) it nearly brings it up to 325/328 power. A CAI and a remap would easily take it over 328 power. I've got a CAI and will be doing the exhaust sometime hopefully.

Seriously man, go for a manual! I wouldn't go to an auto, especially in an E36. The smaller, more nimble body deserves a manual to free it up and make it more fun!

My 2c.

Why get a 323 and modify it when you could get a 328 which by the sounds of it would be a better platform to start with.

I wish I could get a manual but I can't, stop teasing me! :lol:

A CAI and a remap would easily take [the 323] over 328 power. I've got a CAI and will be doing the exhaust sometime hopefully

But just you wait until I get the 328 remapped, with my flash ass K&N CAI. You wont have a hope Nick :P

Get a 328i!! Even in auto she was heaps of fun! So much fun I blew the trans :(

But just you wait until I get the 328 remapped, with my flash ass K&N CAI. You wont have a hope Nick :P

Get a 328i!! Even in auto she was heaps of fun! So much fun I blew the trans :(

Thats what I was thinking....... a modified 328 surely must be better than a modified 323.

Ideally, what you're looking for is one of these in a 4 door. In your choice of colour combo of course.

1997 4 door 328 motorsport.

Only built for just over a year so a bit hard to find. Fully updated, NZ new model, the gear knob is the giveaway.

NZ new so you get the ZF box and avoid the troublesome Jatco transmission. Should also give you full leather.

Motorsport options, common ones are bodykit, suspension, firmer more supportive seats with adjustable thigh support and black headliner (with black seats).

10k should buy you the pick of the bunch out there but get it checked by someone like Glenn first!!!

Ideally, what you're looking for is one of these in a 4 door. In your choice of colour combo of course.

Only built for just over a year so a bit hard to find. Fully updated, NZ new model, the gear knob is the giveaway.

NZ new so you get the ZF box and avoid the troublesome Jatco transmission. Should also give you full leather.

Motorsport options, common ones are bodykit, suspension, firmer more supportive seats with adjustable thigh support and black headliner (with black seats).

10k should buy you the pick of the bunch out there but get it checked by someone like Glenn first!!!

Ahhhh ok I see what you mean about the gearknob its pretty obvious now that someones pointed it out. I haven't come across any 328's that tick all my boxes yet.

Would definately apreciate someone to check a car over before I fork over the money.

it'll be 5 speed and will have the jatco box since it's an import

got mine fixed under warranty ... would've cost a touch over $3,000 if I didn't have the warranty

Having come from an E36 328i auto. Make sure you get a full service history. Service the gearbox if its an import with a full auto tranny flush. Mine was smooth as.

As for manual, trust me on this; a happy wife makes you a happy man. Its not worth the trouble replacing clutches or fixing fences. Buy yourself a proper sports car with a proper gearbox once you can afford it.

Lovely cars, watch the interiors but mechanically, hard to fault :)

Cheers.

That car is an import though. Nice colour combo.

To find a NZ new sedan with a M-Kit and in manual is to find rocking horse sh*t.

Edited by Apex

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the space.....have you ever tried to get a baby in and out of a car seat in the back of a coupe ?!?!

Id give you a week before you realise how awkward it is and get a four door !

Boot space really depends on the buggy you buy too. Our one in the UK folded away to nothing but the mountain buggies you get over here dont fold down at all, they are massive and a real problem for smaller cars.

That car is an import though. Nice colour combo.

To find a NZ new sedan with a M-Kit and in manual is to find rocking horse sh*t.

Just as well I'm after an auto then