Sign in to follow this  
gjdavis

E36 320 v 325 v 328

Hey guys,

We are selling both our cars (e36 318IS and a Atenza s/w) so we can get something with a bit more grunt :D

I 've had a good read through the forums and have picked up lots of useful info, just got a few questions still....

I printed out a list of engine numbers but when I've gone to look at a few cars I haven't been able to locate the engine number???

Also is there much difference between a vanos/non-vanos engine? Any pointers for how to tell if a engine is vanos or not?

Would like recommendations on what would be a better engine to go for etc...

We're looking to get a 4 door, as much as I would love to get another e36 coupe *drools* we've got a baby on the way. We can spend 10grand tops.

Thanks in advance for any help on this B)

Why do you need to look at engine numbers man? Anything after approx. 1994 will have Vanos. Anything facelift will definitely have vanos.

320 - 150hp

323 - 170hp

325 - 192hp

328 - 192hp

Guest Simon*

Hi

Is your 318is manual?

Generally, avoid the 320. Fuel consumption is comparable with the bigger sixes but it will feel like a heavy lump in terms of performance

Why do you need to look at engine numbers man? Anything after approx. 1994 will have Vanos. Anything facelift will definitely have vanos.

320 - 150hp

323 - 170hp

325 - 192hp

328 - 192hp

So I can find out if it has Vanos :P

I thought some e36's had Vanos and others didn't, thanks for clearing that up.

In your opinion is it better to get a 328 over a 325? There doesn't seem to be much difference in price. Heres one I'm looking at:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=240727633

Thanks for your help Nick

Hi

Is your 318is manual?

Generally, avoid the 320. Fuel consumption is comparable with the bigger sixes but it will feel like a heavy lump in terms of performance

No our 318is is auto. Fuel comsumption isn't that great for a 1.8L so I see where your coming from in regards to the 320.

I did get to drive a 320 today and it was pretty good, looking forward to taking a 325 or 328 for a spin.

328i for sure. Much more usable for daily driving in terms or power and torque delivery.

You can pick up a nice 328i manual E36 for 10k. Or a very nice auto for 7k with 2k for a manual conversion.

Sorted

yes 328i is the way to go . $6k to 8 for good auto's $8k to 10K for good manuals.

I wish I could get a manual but the missus can only drive auto :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips guys. If anyone knows of any decent 328's for sale let me know cheers

There is nothing motorsport about the one you are watching - it just has a Mtech body kit ,looks like standard ride height, standard wheels and standard interior.

Also look at the 323 these are under rated, they have the M52 engine which is much better - more torque and better fuel economy plus far more driveable than the M50 from the earlier 320 and 325.

If you can do it find an NZ new one

How do you tell if its a genuine motorsport?

How would the 323 compare against a 328?

There is nothing motorsport about the one you are watching - it just has a Mtech body kit ,looks like standard ride height, standard wheels and standard interior.

Also look at the 323 these are under rated, they have the M52 engine which is much better - more torque and better fuel economy plus far more driveable than the M50 from the earlier 320 and 325.

Yup +1 on both those comments B)

+1 for the 323i!! I have a 323i motorsport coupe for sale at the moment.... Good performance and economy!

+1 for the 323i!! I have a 323i motorsport coupe for sale at the moment.... Good performance and economy!

I wish I could talk the missus into getting another coupe! They look a thousand times better than a sedan.

There is a huge range of motorsport options predominantly trim and suspension .

The most common usage the "motorsport" just refers to the body kit . Personally I dont rate these as motorsport versions

IMO to rate as a genuine motorsport it should drive better

For Motorsport suspension it should be lower all round (more in the front), have stiffer sway bars, 17 inch wheels and preferably factory strut brace, and ideally staggered wheel set up. The only way to tell is to eyeball the bits.

There are no engine enhancements in the motorsport range (excluding race bits)

You can take your pick on what works for you

The 323 is the next best thing to the 328 and is easy to improve with headers if you are inclined.

Sweet cheers for that info, will have a better idea of what to look for now.

I would rather have the 'best thing' than the 'next best thing" if you get what I mean. Im leaning more towards the 328 but still have to drive one to see if it fits the bill, which I 'm confident it will.

Buy our E36 323i :) . It is in excellent condition and genuine low km's!

The hood lining is perfect, the door cards are mint and it drives like a dream. We have returned it back to standard height currently but still looks really nice.

It has been our demo car for a few years but is now time to sell it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-249534188.htm

Buy our E36 323i :) . It is in excellent condition and genuine low km's!

The hood lining is perfect, the door cards are mint and it drives like a dream. We have returned it back to standard height currently but still looks really nice.

It has been our demo car for a few years but is now time to sell it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-249534188.htm

Not quite what we're after, I did see this on trademe the other day. Thanks mate.

Early 320s and 325s didn't have VANOS. They only came with the M50 engine.

320 (later ones), and all 323 and 328 have M52. All M52 have VANOS.

With E36 prices the way they are now, get a 323 or 328 - more torque, more fun, same costs (except insurance). A 320 gives pretty much the same fuel economy (or worse) as a 328.

Had a 98 320, Daily is currently a 96 323, Both Auto

320 is a heavy lump IMO, really got to give it revs to get anywhere in a hurry. Thirsty as.I wouldn't recomend one.

323's are really nice, good power delivery, I love mine.

Have only driven a 328 Manual and it was a great car, Good power etc.Manual makes a car 100% better to drive. Best you teach the Mrs!!

323 or 328 is where its at. Buy the latest model, highest spec, lowest k's you can. Dont settle for an average one as with 10k to spend your looking at the better E36's that are around. I personally like "Msport" kitted ones more.

Had a 98 320, Daily is currently a 96 323, Both Auto

320 is a heavy lump IMO, really got to give it revs to get anywhere in a hurry. Thirsty as.I wouldn't recomend one.

323's are really nice, good power delivery, I love mine.

Have only driven a 328 Manual and it was a great car, Good power etc.Manual makes a car 100% better to drive. Best you teach the Mrs!!

323 or 328 is where its at. Buy the latest model, highest spec, lowest k's you can. Dont settle for an average one as with 10k to spend your looking at the better E36's that are around. I personally like "Msport" kitted ones more.

Agree with you on all points! I have driven a manual 328 as well and it was awesome. Can't compare it to an auto though.

I would rather spend all of 10grand and get a really good 328, I love the msport kit as well. Hoping to get one with leather if I can.

As said above, a 328i is the way to go and your budget would (I expect) easily cover a Msport kitted leather auto sedan. If your Altezza wagon was a 3 litre though, don't expect more grunt, you're losing 20+ kw and torque.

Since you have to get one with automatic, be careful of the japan import models with the JATCO box.

If you search for Jatco on here you will most likely find out about the issues.

As said above, a 328i is the way to go and your budget would (I expect) easily cover a Msport kitted leather auto sedan. If your Altezza wagon was a 3 litre though, don't expect more grunt, you're losing 20+ kw and torque.

Its an Mazda Atenza 2.3L VVT-i, its a pretty good wagon except its 4cylinder and front wheel drive :blink:

Since you have to get one with automatic, be careful of the japan import models with the JATCO box.

If you search for Jatco on here you will most likely find out about the issues.

Yep I did read about that issue on the forum. I think if I get one with low k's I should be alright.

Its an Mazda Atenza 2.3L VVT-i, its a pretty good wagon except its 4cylinder and front wheel drive :blink:

Whoops, my mistake, as you were.

Won't settle for second best (323) but will settle for an auto which is 100 times worse?? priorities man!!!

Wifes recent cars:Chrylser valiant 3 speed manual, Toyota landcruiser flat deck 4 speed manual, Subaru Legacy RS (manual) Subaru Legacy GTB (manual) BMW E39 528 Manual

Look at it this way if you get a manual you get to do all the driving until she sharpens her act and you can say its better for the planet (which it is)

Believe me mate I have tried teaching her in an old corolla that I use to have but theres no way that she will drive a manual by herself (she will be driving it during the week).

Is there a better auto bmw that I should be considering for 10grand?