Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Adjusting prop shaft length

Need advice on how to adjust the length of the propshaft to suite the longer Med case diff.

Finally built up the motivation to fix the E30, its been a while since I have driven it and I am having withdrawals.

I decided I would swap the Small case diff out for a Medium case diff seeing my car has a 2.5 and a bit more torque im thinking it would be a valuable upgrade for longevity.

I have the car up high on axel stands and have the old diff out and have dropped the exhaust and heat shields so its only this seemingly/suggested easy job holding up proceedings, its all straight forward apart from this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, If you can give me a hand even better! I have no money hence why im doing it myself, could flick you a BMW polo.

Cheers

Graham

Pretty sure you don't need to adjust prop shaft length,

If you do, all you have to do is drop the driveshaft hanger bearing, loosen the locking collar and it has abit of lee-way for adjusting the length, just sus it out after you have the diff in, slot the driveshaft bolts into the diff input and tighten the bolts then tighten the locking collar up last.

Yea needs adjusting unfortunately, no big deal. Thanks for the advice.

thats weird, I didn't have to change the length when swapping from a small case 4.45 to a medium case 3.64

Guessing im supposed to use vice grips on the adjustment collar or some mega crescent. I have neither that will fit the bloody thing.. every time I try and save a few bob fixing cars I end up spending money on tools I will only use once. Bugger.

Am I missing something? Cant you just undo the collar from the body of the car and slide the rear half back / forth as you need? The two halves are splined together.

Am I missing something? Cant you just undo the collar from the body of the car and slide the rear half back / forth as you need? The two halves are splined together.

Yeah but the locking collar holds the 2 halves together, Makes it near impossible to just slide it off..

I use a big set of pliers.

Yeah but the locking collar holds the 2 halves together, Makes it near impossible to just slide it off..

I use a big set of pliers.

On both the drive shatfs I have it just slides... meh.

Good luck Graham, you can never have to many tools anyway.

On both the drive shatfs I have it just slides... meh.

Good luck Graham, you can never have to many tools anyway.

Yeah they slide together, But that locking collar bolt squashes a bush in it as you tighten it and it stops the 2 halves just sliding out. Yours both should have a locking collar.

So a big set of pliers is best then?? Is it not that tight that pliers will do?? Its a next saturday job now.

Have seen a plumbers crescent recommended but the whole shaft would have to come out for that!

Cheers.

Yes it does have to be adjusted (not by much)

Just use vice grips/big plies/adjustable wrench its not that tight and there's probably a ton of lube in there so it wont seize. It takes 5 minutes.

Max - get a locking collar :blink: ..............................

I used a plumbers wrench, just enough room to loosen it a bit so i could turn it by hand

i have used plumbers wrench on them .

+1 for plumbers wrench. Get a helpful friend to put it in gear as you undo the nuts at either end of the driveshaft to take it out, then back into neutral and turn, then back into gear etc etc. Takes a while when you have to keep getting out from under the car and changing gear etc urself :wacko:

It should not need to come out? Apparently.

Nah you don't have to.

I could fit my big ass pliers in the tunnel, clamp it and push it around to loosen then do the rest by hand.

You probably don't even have to bother doing it, if you have the center bearing out, put the diff in and when it comes time to put the driveshaft in, it should pull the 5mm of driveshaft out as you tighten the bolts. Because TBH when I swapped from small case to medium case I didn't adjust my driveshaft at all and i swapped between those diffs a couple times too and not once changed the length.