Sign in to follow this  
jas81172

Basic Performance Upgrade

any suggestion on how to upgrade my 1988 320i in terms of performancejust basic one though just to add a bit of power on my daily driver.mine is a bit sluggish so a bit of power would be good.i don't race so, i'm just looking at the most basic upgrade that i could do.tks.

there are heaps of threads about this, but the best mod you can do is upgrade to a 325i engine.

either that or change the air and oil filters, there isn't much to work with.

I agree, just do the 2.5 engine its sooo much more fun. Synthe has a FL engine ?

there are heaps of threads about this, but the best mod you can do is upgrade to a 325i engine.

either that or change the air and oil filters, there isn't much to work with.

maybe someone should do a FAQ on basic upgrades / rough cost / gains...

Change all your Fluids and Filters, and give it a really good groom, Cut,Polish,Sealer,Interior etc etc

Won't make you go faster but money better spent IMO.

Edited by braeden.

Yeah mate, dont waste time trying to get power out of a b20.

As said above, give it a good service and clean or swap it for a 2.5

so nothing really much to do bout this engine?the only option is a swap?any rough estimate for a swap?is there anything i can do aside from the swap.paint job is pretty much decent as well as the interior aside from a few cracks on the dash.i service it regularly like oil change every 6mos with about 5-6k kms only.what would be the other fluids i need to change?

Check the Coolant, Transmission Fluid,Air Filter,Spark Plugs & Leads, Brake Pads.

Just whatever needs doing

Check the Coolant, Transmission Fluid,Air Filter,Spark Plugs & Leads, Brake Pads.

Just whatever needs doing

already did everything that needs servicing.is converting a factory airfilter to a direct drive pod filter would help in anyway?

grab the checklist for an inspection 2 service and go through that

[edit] just noticed your response above :)

a cold air intake kit or pod filter could increase power, it wont be much though but it would make it sound cool

Edited by Wom

grab the checklist for an inspection 2 service and go through that

[edit] just noticed your response above :)

a cold air intake kit or pod filter could increase power, it wont be much though but it would make it sound cool

we've done the inspection 2 checklist as well. i guess i'll just go with appearance like pod filters and good sounding mufflers i suppose.i like the car though so i'll just do something about the appearance i guess.tks mate.

Is it a manual?

Honestly, save up a grand and slot a 2.5 in, can be done in a day with your mates, alow for $300 for a new cam belt, water pump and fluids..

For my own info as well as the ops,will a g240 cope with the 325?

Yea they can handle the massive 170hp and 220nm :D

Is it a manual?

Honestly, save up a grand and slot a 2.5 in, can be done in a day with your mates, alow for $300 for a new cam belt, water pump and fluids..

unfortunately it's auto that is why i find it sluggish maybe if it could have been a manual i won't bother because you can shift to a low gear anytime you like. is a 2.5 will just fit in 320i with not much of modifications?

i have B20... best thing you can do to it is throw a manual transmission on it as you suggested. really livens the car up. an aftermarket muffler ive heard will help, along with a straight pipe (cat delete) as it lets it breath a lot better. i have a pod filter and it does nothing at all except for sound. chips are a waste of time IMO (i have one but i got it for free so meh) definately go for b25 or better still M50 and call it a day. im m50ing next year (Y)

i have B20... best thing you can do to it is throw a manual transmission on it as you suggested. really livens the car up. an aftermarket muffler ive heard will help, along with a straight pipe (cat delete) as it lets it breath a lot better. i have a pod filter and it does nothing at all except for sound. chips are a waste of time IMO (i have one but i got it for free so meh) definately go for b25 or better still M50 and call it a day. im m50ing next year (Y)

thanks for the options. i'm considering a manual convertion. would a straight pipe and an aftermarket muffler wouldn't be too noisy?or it would depend on the muffler. for the chips would it make any difference at all? i like the pod filter sound effect and easier to service as well.

thanks for the options. i'm considering a manual convertion. would a straight pipe and an aftermarket muffler wouldn't be too noisy?or it would depend on the muffler. for the chips would it make any difference at all? i like the pod filter sound effect and easier to service as well.

i am running stock exhaust so i cant help you on reccomendations on brands etc, just what ive heard worked well for others. manual conversion definately a preformance boost. not to mention it weighs like 20kg less at minimum over the auto.

my chip does virtually nothing... bit of a power increase at around 4500rpm upwards, but on a slushbox car you cant hold it in gear to take advantage of that anyways so id only consider it if you are going to manual.

podfilter does nothing on an E30. end of story. the exception of course is if its in a forced induction application. i should i know.. i have one.

best thing to do to a 320i is along the same lines as 318i, make it look good and handle good, but dont bother chasing HP numbers without an engine swap

i am running stock exhaust so i cant help you on reccomendations on brands etc, just what ive heard worked well for others. manual conversion definately a preformance boost. not to mention it weighs like 20kg less at minimum over the auto.

my chip does virtually nothing... bit of a power increase at around 4500rpm upwards, but on a slushbox car you cant hold it in gear to take advantage of that anyways so id only consider it if you are going to manual.

podfilter does nothing on an E30. end of story. the exception of course is if its in a forced induction application. i should i know.. i have one.

best thing to do to a 320i is along the same lines as 318i, make it look good and handle good, but dont bother chasing HP numbers without an engine swap

points well taken mate. thank you very much for your opinions.

Manual conversion would be the best bang for your buck, I would have a manual 320i over an auto 325i. Wont be fast but will atleast be fun to drive.

Manual conversion would be the best bang for your buck, I would have a manual 320i over an auto 325i. Wont be fast but will atleast be fun to drive.

agreed

+1 also.

Altho mines a 325 the auto was s**t.Completely different car now with 5spd & lower ratio diff.

If I may offer a suggestion, whilst the manual conversion offers the most fun upgrade, one of the cheapest upgrades to a stock car is grabbing a mtech suspension or better off trademe and lowering and firming it up for some better twisties action. 

I bought my FL 320i stock in 2000 and since then in order

Replaced steel rims with alloys (cosmetics)

Replaced suspension with Koni adjustables and Jamex super lows (2nd best upgrade)

Powerflex urethane control arm bushes (really tightened up steering)

Replaced twin pipe CAT with 2 kobis (freed up the exhaust alot)

Manual conversion (best upgrade)

3 diffs (4.45 -> 3.25 -> 3.46 -> 3.64)

Replaced engine with a B23 (w/B25 intake+injectors) keeping the motronic 1.3

Replaced alloys with the borbet replicas

Replaced sh*t muffler with bigger, better, and quieter aftermarket one

Currently remedying the overfuelling with dyno-tuned piggy back chip.Will post original dyno and tuned dyno once done.

Edited by pando

I upgraded my b20 to b25...

It's still auto but oh the difference is quite apparant when you put your foot down a tiny bit much and the gearbox decides to kill you.

do it.

Next step... Manual :D