Sign in to follow this  
flake

what to do with a m20b20?

ok so i'm in the process of doing a m50 conversion on my e30. brought a manual non vanos m50b25 off brent up in papakura, after 8 hours driving back to wellington it was in my garage. the next day me and nathan (forrest) take upon the mighty task of removing the old m20. 4 cruisy hours later i was left with an empty engine bay and oil on my driveway.

now my question for everyone is what do i do with the m20?

sell it? if so how much would i get roughly? who wants it?

part it? who wants what?

or scrap it? if so how much would i get roughly?

considering scraping it as i got $9 for the old e36 m50 sump, which was cracked. and i figure i might get $70 for the enigine at least if i dismantle everything and sort out the ali from iron.

i don't mind taking the engine apart if you want some thing either, it would be good experience for me to see how it all comes apart and how it all works.

engine has done 169528kms. it's an auto to manual conversion motor, will included loom, exhaust manifold engine mounts etc. came out of a '90 facelift

engine is no use to me, it's all yours

Edited by flake

We took an old engine to the wreckers around here, hoping to get a couple box's with the money.

We got $18.

Cool.

We took an old engine to the wreckers around here, hoping to get a couple box's with the money.

We got $18.

Cool.

your kidding me. $18. thats hardly worth gas money to get it there.

i might just dig a hole in my backyard and bury it. :lol:

I have a poked one too.

Sell all the sh*t off it (alternator, starter ect, ecu) then do something dumb with the mechanicals.

ok so i just checked with my mum. she says no to burying it in the yard.

looks like i'll be parting it out.

Edited by flake

Do you know anyone that has a boat and wants a anchor, somebody to secure a big dog or similar object :D

Cheers Allan

use it as a planter,

put soil in the bores, and plant seeds. make it a nice garden object.

Give it to me in exchange for Booze. :D

Can never have too many B20's when your in the BMW series.

Either give it away or put it on trademe, some noob will buy it who forgot to change their cambelt and bent all their valves.

What you should of done though is seen how long it would sit on the rev limiter for before you took it out, with no exhaust.

I've allready given my head away....... That was easy xD

Don't waste it, as Dan said - could be of use for someone in race series. These engine ain't being made anymore.

Put it on TM

Either give it away or put it on trademe, some noob will buy it who forgot to change their cambelt and bent all their valves.

What you should of done though is seen how long it would sit on the rev limiter for before you took it out, with no exhaust.

haha that would have been the thing to do. i've seen guys on youtube doing that, so funny.

is that what you did with your m20 after the conversion? :lol:

Edited by flake

sorry guys too late. it's m20 no more.

final destination...scrap yard. i'm not gonna scrap the head or crank and pistons etc. but things like the sump, mounts, intake and exhaust manifolds can go. and the block once i figure out how to get the crank out.

i've removed all the 17mm bolts so the crank is loose as it can be and is just floating there. it seems like i can't pull the pistons out with it. do i have to undo the half of the rod to remove it from the crank and push the piston up through the bore? for that i need the special socket. similar to a torque socket just more teeth on the bolt head.

any ideas. cheers

Sold mine with a blown water pump for a few hundred.

Throw it on TM.

Edited by Apex

sorry guys too late. it's m20 no more.

final destination...scrap yard. i'm not gonna scrap the head or crank and pistons etc. but things like the sump, mounts, intake and exhaust manifolds can go. and the block once i figure out how to get the crank out.

i've removed all the 17mm bolts so the crank is loose as it can be and is just floating there. it seems like i can't pull the pistons out with it. do i have to undo the half of the rod to remove it from the crank and push the piston up through the bore? for that i need the special socket. similar to a torque socket just more teeth on the bolt head.

any ideas. cheers

You need to undo big ends & remove pistons through top. DONT scrap the sump if it's any good - a good demand for them. Can do big end bolts with 10mm socket from memory

I got $220 for an old M20 with all the bolt on bits. I would chuck it on trademe if you have space to store it.

Make the block into a Coffee table

I started to but my welder broke down and havn't got round to finishing it

haha that would have been the thing to do. i've seen guys on youtube doing that, so funny.

is that what you did with your m20 after the conversion? :lol:

Haha, nah, my mate bought mine off me for $500 with everything, loom, afm, blah blah blah. It was a m20b25 and it was actually a really good engine so I was not going to blow it up haha. I had just replaced the cambelt on it as well.

You need to undo big ends & remove pistons through top. DONT scrap the sump if it's any good - a good demand for them. Can do big end bolts with 10mm socket from memory

*google search: big ends*

yeah that's exactly what i thought they were........ hmmm. managed to get it all apart yesturday, i needed a 12 slotted size 10 socket if that makes any sense, so quick trip to robco. head studs are 6 slotted, these were 12. but they came apart piece of piss once i had the correct bit.

thanks for the advise. i'll keep the sump, give it a clean up. no doubt it'll be use to someone.

cheers

They are known as 6point and 12point sockets btw.

sorry for all the vauge noob pronunciation. that was my first engine that i've completly pulled apart, took around 3hours all up. should time myself for the next one.

oh well thats the m20 finished with. now the m50

thanks john. 6 point, 12 point. not slotted. gotcha

Edited by flake

They are known as 6point and 12point sockets btw.

Or single hex & double hex